coughing/sputtering idle - 95 Civic EX 1.6 VTEC - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2010   #1  
Registered!!

finkenator9 is an unknown quantity at this point
coughing/sputtering idle - 95 Civic EX 1.6 VTEC

95 Civic EX 1.6 VTEC
I replaced air filter, spark plugs, and PCV valve, and changed oil and used synthetic oil.
I have a small idle problem. It sputters between 500-900 rpm at idle. It is intermittent, but definitely a small problem.
What should I check next? Is this something I need to take in and have the professionals look at it.
Other than at idle, the car runs as it should.
Service engine light is NOT on.
Car does not stall.

Last edited by finkenator9; 04-12-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: updated problem
finkenator9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #2  
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: vacuum leak? 95 Civic EX 1.6 VTEC

the idle air control valve? you should diagnose the problem before spamming money at it.
HLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #3  
Registered!!

laack is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 iacv. clean it + clean throttle body. before cleaning it, a quick test: warm up engine then disconnect the 2p connector on the iacv. rpm should drop to 450 and the CEL will come on since you disconnected it. if idle rpm doesnt change, you know its your iacv.

do an idle relearn after. your engine will still be warm and you need to clear the code you just caused. turn off car. disconnect battery for a couple minutes. reconnect. turn off all electricals (radio, heater, etc..) start car and let it run for 10 minutes. turn off car then go for a short drive.

fyi..suspect iacv only if it its surging after its warm. if i understand it right, iacv comes in to play after engine has warmed up. someone else correct me if i'm wrong.

If its not that, throttle air screw may need adjustment to help idle return to 750 rpm.

how has your mpg been? any other symptoms?
laack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #4  
Registered!!

finkenator9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I cleaned my IACV, it wasn't real dirty, but the screen was a little clogged with dirt. I let it dry, then reinstalled.

Update:
Idle still coughing/sputtering at idle around 750 RPM.

Question:
Do I turn the idle screw clockwise or counterclockwise to increase idle speed?

Last edited by finkenator9; 04-12-2010 at 07:51 AM.
finkenator9 is offline   Reply With Quote