Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

8th Gen Purge Control Cylinoid Issue

Old 10-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmaverickg is an unknown quantity at this point
8th Gen Purge Control Cylinoid Issue

Hey gang, I have an 06 Civic with 68k miles and it seems that I am having a problem for the second time, and I want your opinion please.

I purchased the car new and at 38k miles the "Check Fuel Cap" type of indicator started flashing for the first time and I tried everything that the dealer tells the average joe to do to fix the problem such as remove and reapply the gas cap, always make sure you tighten up the cap until you hear atleast 3 clicks, don't overfill the gas tank, etc. It stayed on for a week and then set off the check engine light. I took it in and they couldn't find anything wrong and reset the light.

A year later (Oct. 8th 2008, and now good and out of warranty) the same thing happens and without even checking it they said it was probably my Purge Control Cylinoid. I took it in, they checked it and confirmed that was the problem, so $325 later it was fixed and I didn't have the issue any longer.

A year and 2 weeks later I have the "Check Fuel Cap" light again and now the Check Engine light is back on and they assume its the same issue again, and was VERY quick to remind me that the previous repair had a 12months/12k mile warranty and I am out of that warranty by 2 weeks on time and 3k miles.

Has anyone seen this issue before? I have read alot of other internet post and it seems that there may have been a faulty batch of the Purge Control pieces out there. My deal is that I purchased my 4th Honda so I wouldn't have issues and it seems that I am now having the same issue for the 3rd time on a car that only has 68k miles on it.

Any opinions or info would be appreciated.

John
Old 10-21-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 8th Gen Purge Control Cylinoid Issue

yeah the 06+ seem to have problems with the evap system. im not sure if its faulty parts or if something else failed. there are alot of parts to the system.