Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic lx p1457

Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cajunkev1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic lx p1457

Hello,
I purchased this car last month. It had the check engine light on but ran great. Last week while I was on the interstate, I went from 70mph to 50mph quickly. I noticed the rpms drop and I could not accelerate.The car didn't quit but had no power.I put the car in neutral, it's An automatic, killed the engine and restarted it on the roll.It started right up and had regular power again. I went to advance auto parts and used the diagnostic machine and it read P1457,EVAP Dissipation Solenoid. The counter person advised to change the purge valve solenoid but I read on here that I should start with the vent canister shut valve solenoid. I don't know if this is the cause of my loss of power. I can drive about a mile before the rpm's drop. I pull on the shoulder and start it again and I'm good for a mile or two. It runs great when I start it but loses power. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Civic lx p1457

Tries to die every mile? Maybe that's why it was for sale!

P1457 definition is "a leak in the EVAP canister system", there are several possible causes (CVS and Purge solenoids come to mind first), and there are a couple service bulletins that may or may not apply to your car.

I do not think this code alone would cause your complaint about how it runs, I think that would probably need diagnosed as a separate problem.

Maybe start with a good scanner with live data, reading or recording data as the problem occurs...

Maybe a fuel pressure test, drive around and get it to act up and see if fuel pressure drops while it acted up

Maybe a good sized fuel sample in a clear jar, see if anything settles out (like water)
Old 04-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beck Stacy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001 Civic lx p1457

Originally Posted by Cajunkev1
Hello,
I purchased this car last month. It had the check engine light on but ran great. Last week while I was on the interstate, I went from 70mph to 50mph quickly. I noticed the rpms drop and I could not accelerate.The car didn't quit but had no power.I put the car in neutral, it's An automatic, killed the engine and restarted it on the roll.It started right up and had regular power again. I went to advance auto parts and used the diagnostic machine and it read P1457,EVAP Dissipation Solenoid. The counter person advised to change the purge valve solenoid but I read on here that I should start with the vent canister shut valve solenoid. I don't know if this is the cause of my loss of power. I can drive about a mile before the rpm's drop. I pull on the shoulder and start it again and I'm good for a mile or two. It runs great when I start it but loses power. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I've also got the p1457 code and I'm still getting 28 mpg, and smooth running. Granted, it could be that code, but that could be a false code given by something else.