Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 Honda starts, bogs down, and dies...

Old 04-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cluelesswoman is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Honda starts, bogs down, and dies...

I am a clueless woman. I have a 2006 Honda Civic EX. I was driving it one day when it suddenly started bogging down and stalling. I tried to limp it home, but ended up having to have it towed. I was told that it could be the fuel filter/fuel pump so I replaced the fuel pump as I was also told that the fuel filter will be replaced with the new pump. However, the car is still acting the same. The car starts up just fine, the green key light does not flash or stay on, it idles for about 10 seconds, and then it bogs down and stalls. I tried priming the new fuel pump by starting the car several times and giving the car gas, but again, even after giving it gas, it still stalls after 5-10 seconds. I tried starting it and popping it in nuetral and it does the same thing. The idle drops and it stalls. There was one instance, in about 20 starts, that the idle dropped momentarily and the car sputtered, but then the idle went back up to normal, only to bog out and stall. This start lasted about 15-20 seconds. I am clueless as to what to look for next and could really use some help. Im a single woman with little to no help and cant afford to take it to a dealership, but I also cant afford to keep dumping money into the car, only to find out that the part wasnt the problem. The check engine light is NOT on, so Im assuming the issue is sensor related, but again, I am pretty clueless and taking a shot in the dark. Please help this girl out.
Old 04-08-2017
Registered!!

Re: 2006 Honda starts, bogs down, and dies...

I should add that the alternator was checked and is fine. The battery is brand new because it drained after sitting for a couple of months. The car cranks on the first try with no hesitancy. It is getting power just fine.
Old 04-08-2017
Registered!!

I think I may have figured this out after hours of research. Disconnected the mass airflow sensor and all the drama stopped and the idle went back to normal. No bogging down and no drops in the idle. Cant drive it to confirm this theory because it has a flat tire from sitting, but Im going to replace the sensor just in case.
Old 04-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Your username would seem to be incorrect LOL

Pull that MAF sensor out (or remove the air filter lid and flip it over) and see if there's a bug or leaf or trash of some sort caught in an opening or caught in a sensing element.

If there is some piece of trash caught in it, how would that have gotten past the air filter?

Search this Thread