What is wrong with my engine? - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2009   #1
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all
What is wrong with my engine?

D17a2

1 O2 simulator connected to ECU.

Engine will not pass 4k RPM. I have to shift right before 4k RPM. If I try to keep going, the engine "quits" or "boggs down". Almost like it is giving up.

Is it the ECU, O2 sim, or internal problem?

The engine light comes on and off. When it is off i can go past 4k RPM.

This leads me to think the O2 sim is failing.

Opinions? Please...

Thank you,

Christopher
Tragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #2
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What is wrong with my engine?

It's the O2 simulator throwing your car into limp mode which is why you can't go over 4K on the tach. Remove it use a spark plug defouler to fool your ECU into thinking you have a cat.
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #3
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i think its a different problem. even with me running no o2 sim or defouler and the ecu knowing my car has no cat it still runs fine. when the CEL is flashing it usually means your engine is misfiring big time.

was it running fine before and this just happened randomly? or did you install it and its doing this now? if it just happened after the install it could be the o2 sim. check your vtec wiring first and maybe clean out your vtec solenoid screen. thats an easy way for the car to throw limp mode. same thing happened to my car and it ended up being my vtec screen.
civicsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #4
Registered!!

Civic_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point

It may not be the O2 coz when i have my civic i have no cat too....coz the ecu already know u r running without a cat so the CEL will be on...use obd and it will show u wht's wrong with ur car or the motor...
Civic_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #5
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did you get a code when the light came on?
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009   #6
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

Pull the code... There will probably be a stored code even when the CEL is off in your case so if you get the code you will know the issue.
dopes6070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #7
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

I have not taken it in to check for a code.

Thanks for the input guys, the O2 sim was working fine for months before this randomly happened. Today the engine light went off and on again after an hour of driving.

Guess I have to check for a code and take it from there. 95,000 miles under her belt. ya-yuh.
Old 03-13-2009   #8
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

Its a D17, theres your problem.....

but really it could be your VTEC sylenoid too. I had the same issue and thats what it turned out to be. A 02 sensor wont make your car go limp. I ran with my CEL on for months before putting a defoiler on it.

In fact your problem sounds exactly like my problem and at the same RPM.
drunkenmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #9
skate or die

good to know, it does sound like i might need to clean it up. Recently for the past 2 days, it has been running fine with no cut off.

so im scratching my head on this one.