Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

About to change my ATF and i have 3 Qs

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K.Low is an unknown quantity at this point
About to change my ATF and i have 3 Qs

Should the car be leveled or can i just jack the front of the car ???
Should i buy 3 or 4 qrts ???
Should the fluid be warm ???
Old 08-14-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: About to change my ATF and i have 3 Qs

5 qts (better to have extra if something happens), wait til car is cold, then change. no need to jack car unless you cant fit under it. once you finish, need to carefully drive the car around til it warms up, then check the level with car running and bring it to the max mark on the dipstick.
Old 08-14-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

nothing like hot tranny fluid all over you (if you were thinking nasty things, stfu, thanks! ;-) )....exactly what gear said. I am not sure if our pans come with plugs in them but i would put one in the pan if it doesnt because I remember doing the tranny fluid on my 90 Lincoln town car an getting that **** all over the place when I took the pan off. It was to be expected, but what can ya do?

Last edited by ryox82; 08-14-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: the usual retardedness
Old 08-14-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

we have a drain bolt that you take out, but the fluid flows out pretty slow. you have to leave and come back 10 mins later.
Old 08-14-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

that is def comforting lol. I will probably end up doing my own since that is the case.
Old 08-14-2007
Registered!!

d0ughbOy81 is an unknown quantity at this point

when i worked at honda i know that our cars took like 3.5-4 qts but this is how i did it (i still get to use the lift there soo its easy for me)
1 drain it ull need a 3/4 rachet for the drain bolt
2 after its done replace the drain bolt with a new washer
3 let the car down add 2.9 qts ull need a long funel to do so
4 start it while foot is on the brake run it to all the gears like 5 sec each
5 drive it around the block then check level and add if u need some more
p.s. i found this out the hard way if u take out the dip stick b4 u drain it will drain faster
**********but if u have a lot of miles on that tranny and its never been done i would not mess with it cuz u will **** up ur trans****************

Last edited by d0ughbOy81; 08-14-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2007
Premium Member

ya i heard that, like the new fluid will cause chunks of crap to come loose and clog the filter. with just a drain and refill tho, you are barely changing 1/3 of the fluid. i think theres over 9 quarts in the whole system like torque converter and cooler lines.
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by d0ughbOy81
p.s. i found this out the hard way if u take out the dip stick b4 u drain it will drain faster
**********but if u have a lot of miles on that tranny and its never been done i would not mess with it cuz u will **** up ur trans****************
My car has 39k miles...i dont think the ATF fluid has ever been changed.
Do you think its gonna be a problem ???
What if i refill it 3x ???

Thanks guys !
Old 08-15-2007
Premium Member

thats fine, 30k miles is the recommended interval altho i prefer yearly. but were talking like 100k+ miles on the original fluid.
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
thats fine, 30k miles is the recommended interval altho i prefer yearly. but were talking like 100k+ miles on the original fluid.
so its ok to flush the whole tranny ?
Thanks
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K.Low
so its ok to flush the whole tranny ?
Thanks
you dont need to flush it...only drain and fill...

do another drain and refill only if you think there is no improvement..
Old 08-15-2007
Premium Member

dont do a flush, thats not good at all on any trans. just drain and refill. you can do it a couple times too if you want. like do one drain and fill, drive it around, do it again, etc. until the mixed fluid looks red again instead of black.
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

Ok thanks guys !!
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

One more question what happens if i overfill it ???
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

Drain some of it. You dont want to create too much pressure
Old 08-15-2007
Premium Member

yea overfill = very bad. dont overfill or youre have to take the drain bolt off again to remove some.