Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   About to change my ATF and i have 3 Qs (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/298622-about-change-my-atf-i-have-3-qs.html)

K.Low 08-14-2007 08:09 PM

About to change my ATF and i have 3 Qs

Should the car be leveled or can i just jack the front of the car ???
Should i buy 3 or 4 qrts ???
Should the fluid be warm ???

gearbox 08-14-2007 08:23 PM

Re: About to change my ATF and i have 3 Qs

5 qts (better to have extra if something happens), wait til car is cold, then change. no need to jack car unless you cant fit under it. once you finish, need to carefully drive the car around til it warms up, then check the level with car running and bring it to the max mark on the dipstick.

ryox82 08-14-2007 08:40 PM

nothing like hot tranny fluid all over you (if you were thinking nasty things, stfu, thanks! ;-) )....exactly what gear said. I am not sure if our pans come with plugs in them but i would put one in the pan if it doesnt because I remember doing the tranny fluid on my 90 Lincoln town car an getting that shit all over the place when I took the pan off. It was to be expected, but what can ya do?

gearbox 08-14-2007 09:51 PM

we have a drain bolt that you take out, but the fluid flows out pretty slow. you have to leave and come back 10 mins later.

ryox82 08-14-2007 09:57 PM

that is def comforting lol. I will probably end up doing my own since that is the case.

d0ughbOy81 08-14-2007 11:25 PM

when i worked at honda i know that our cars took like 3.5-4 qts but this is how i did it (i still get to use the lift there soo its easy for me)
1 drain it ull need a 3/4 rachet for the drain bolt
2 after its done replace the drain bolt with a new washer
3 let the car down add 2.9 qts ull need a long funel to do so
4 start it while foot is on the brake run it to all the gears like 5 sec each
5 drive it around the block then check level and add if u need some more
p.s. i found this out the hard way if u take out the dip stick b4 u drain it will drain faster
**********but if u have a lot of miles on that tranny and its never been done i would not mess with it cuz u will **** up ur trans****************

gearbox 08-14-2007 11:34 PM

ya i heard that, like the new fluid will cause chunks of crap to come loose and clog the filter. with just a drain and refill tho, you are barely changing 1/3 of the fluid. i think theres over 9 quarts in the whole system like torque converter and cooler lines.

K.Low 08-15-2007 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by d0ughbOy81 (Post 4228089)
p.s. i found this out the hard way if u take out the dip stick b4 u drain it will drain faster
**********but if u have a lot of miles on that tranny and its never been done i would not mess with it cuz u will **** up ur trans****************

My car has 39k miles...i dont think the ATF fluid has ever been changed.
Do you think its gonna be a problem ???
What if i refill it 3x ???

Thanks guys !

gearbox 08-15-2007 11:12 AM

thats fine, 30k miles is the recommended interval altho i prefer yearly. but were talking like 100k+ miles on the original fluid.

K.Low 08-15-2007 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4228229)
thats fine, 30k miles is the recommended interval altho i prefer yearly. but were talking like 100k+ miles on the original fluid.

so its ok to flush the whole tranny ?
Thanks

Devani 08-15-2007 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by K.Low (Post 4228235)
so its ok to flush the whole tranny ?
Thanks

you dont need to flush it...only drain and fill...

do another drain and refill only if you think there is no improvement..

gearbox 08-15-2007 01:20 PM

dont do a flush, thats not good at all on any trans. just drain and refill. you can do it a couple times too if you want. like do one drain and fill, drive it around, do it again, etc. until the mixed fluid looks red again instead of black.

K.Low 08-15-2007 01:26 PM

Ok thanks guys !!

K.Low 08-15-2007 03:19 PM

One more question what happens if i overfill it ???

ryox82 08-15-2007 03:38 PM

Drain some of it. You dont want to create too much pressure

gearbox 08-15-2007 06:48 PM

yea overfill = very bad. dont overfill or youre have to take the drain bolt off again to remove some.