when to change tranny fluid - Page 3 - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2006   #61

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafstud
wtf? I just drain and tried to put more tranny fluid in. I only got about 2.25 quarts in.
Yeah I was concerned about that..mine started pouring at the end of the 2nd quart, but so far the tranny hasn't grind or give me probems when shifting, and I did a week ago so.. I will pass by Honda today and ask a mechanic, although sometimes I think it's better to ask some of the guys here..

If anyone has more info on this please post it.
cubanmike26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #62
LC
Registered!!

LC is an unknown quantity at this point
I was quoted about $90 to have my transmission fluid flushed. Does that sound about right if I have a shop do it for me? I have about 45,000 miles on my car and i never had it done before. If someone can tell me I would appreciate it . THanKS
LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #63
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
I was quoted about $90 to have my transmission fluid flushed. Does that sound about right if I have a shop do it for me? I have about 45,000 miles on my car and i never had it done before. If someone can tell me I would appreciate it . THanKS
Yea sounds right fluid=like 10, 1/2 hour labor= 80
pon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006   #64

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
you don't do it often, but if you could save 50 60 bucks hey
cubanmike26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #65
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
aren't manual trannys more forgiving? you don't really have to change your tranny fluid if you are at 50K miles. but you would have to if you have an auto tranny with those amount of miles.....yes.
Johnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #66
Registered!!

Spartacus is an unknown quantity at this point
So just to clarify, Transmission fluid is regular motor oil (10w-30)? so would it make sense to use better oil, like Red Line or royal purple or Mobil 1, to get better performance?
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #67
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus
So just to clarify, Transmission fluid is regular motor oil (10w-30)? so would it make sense to use better oil, like Red Line or royal purple or Mobil 1, to get better performance?
no tranny oil is not motor oil. just get honda fluid from the dealer and be done with it.
shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006   #68
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I use mobil one synthetic, 10w30. Other members on here have been using it for years with no problems. The manual says that shifts may become different with prolonged use because honda fluid has special additives, but they say that with other stuff too. I just plan on changing it every year. Autos use red transmission fluid, and if you were to put oil in there it would be very very bad.

Yeah the MT only takes like two quarts and you might as well do it every year or two, cause it is cheap and easy to do. Mine was pretty dirty when I changed it at 36,000, but I am pretty hard on it.

Last edited by jackburton; 03-25-2006 at 09:09 AM.
jackburton is offline   Reply With Quote