when to change tranny fluid - Page 2 - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2006   #31  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya you do. check fluid when car is hot per manual.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #32  
Registered!!

legend921 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want to do a complete flush then you would need to fill/ and flush three times. The dealer does this as a method to completely flush out the old fluid. I did this to my car and it felt awesome after the second flush. I say you should do it three times if it is your first time since the rest of your fluid would be dirty.
legend921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #33  

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
YES the car should be off unless you don't want a tranny anymore. Just warm up the car for a little bit so the fluid comes out a little faster. You can drain just cold but it takes a little longer. I would just do it all at once with your oil change.
Sorry but what does the tranny have to do with the engine? As long as the car is idle and no gears are engaged there shouldn't be any problem no?

Whille installing my side markers today I was gonna change the fluid, but when I refered to the manual it says the car has to be level so nm that...and call me dumb but, how come MT doesn't have a dipstick? The manual only mentions the AT dipstick. I opened the hood and I couldn't find it anywhere..duhh it doesn't have one..so how do I check the fluid level then?

Last edited by cubanmike26; 02-25-2006 at 07:31 PM.
cubanmike26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #34  
Registered!!

legend921 is an unknown quantity at this point
The manual transmission uses Motor Oil or Gear Oil, and manual doesn't have a dipstick. It has a fill plug instead, and is located above near the draining plug. You would probably need a pump to pump the oil in until it flows out of the fill plug hole. That's why it is recommended that you have the car level. You don't want to overfill or underfill the tranny or else you'll get more problems in the long run.
legend921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #35  
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Umm, dont you fill the manual transmission oil till it flows out?
DDragon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #36  

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
I guess Honda wants us to go to them to change the tranny fluid cause the manual mentions the fluid must be changed, yet they don't show how??

Last edited by cubanmike26; 02-26-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2006   #37  
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
I guess Honda wants us to go to them to change the tranny fluid cause the manual mentions the fluid must be changed, yet they don't show how??

it just told you how to change it. remove the filler bolt and check the level, if it isnt at the bottom of the hole, fill with fluid at the filler bolt hole. there is a drain bolt and a filler bolt, similiar to a differential. one bolt is used to drain the fluid, the other is for adding the fluid. In this case, to add fluid, remove the filler bolt and add fluid untill it runs out. the level should be even with the bottom of the fill hole.
streetglower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #38  
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
one of the guys I work with was trying to tell me there is a filter in the trany somewhere on our cars. i tried to tell him we don't have one, just a magnetic bolt. I checked on the schematics on majestic honda's website and nothing is shown in the tranny diagram about a filter of any kind. anyone have any more info?
shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #39  
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yea the filter is internal, which is why the pump fails (when pieces of clutch pack clog it up).
Old 02-26-2006   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglower
it just told you how to change it. remove the filler bolt and check the level, if it isnt at the bottom of the hole, fill with fluid at the filler bolt hole. there is a drain bolt and a filler bolt, similiar to a differential. one bolt is used to drain the fluid, the other is for adding the fluid. In this case, to add fluid, remove the filler bolt and add fluid untill it runs out. the level should be even with the bottom of the fill hole.
Sorry to make this so extensive, but I've never done this before and I don't want to do something wrong, specially when it comes to the tranny..I appreciate the imput.
Yes I read that streetglower..but I was getting stuck on how I'd fill it up from underneath the car. You say there's 2 bolts(drain & filler)? but the manual only mentions the filler bolt, where's the drain bolt then? Did you use a pump like legend921 says? That's where I was confused..so this must be the only way to refill it since you can't do it from up top like the regular engine oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend921
The manual transmission uses Motor Oil or Gear Oil, and manual doesn't have a dipstick. It has a fill plug instead, and is located above near the draining plug. You would probably need a pump to pump the oil in until it flows out of the fill plug hole. That's why it is recommended that you have the car level. You don't want to overfill or underfill the tranny or else you'll get more problems in the long run.
Thanks legend..I don't have a pump so I'll just take it to Honda and let them do it shouldn't be too much for the tranny fluid change..

Last edited by cubanmike26; 02-26-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2006   #41  
Premium Member

seems like you would need all four corners of the car on stands.
Old 02-26-2006   #42  

Thought about that too..I'll see how much H charges It may not be worth it to get a pump and go through all the hassle if they don't charge too much..
Old 02-26-2006   #43  
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Old 02-26-2006   #44  

Oh that's awesome..thanks DDragon7!
Old 02-26-2006   #45  
Registered!!

No Problem.
Old 03-01-2006   #46  

Look what I found guys..this should be an a must for those who want to do their own fluid change. Only $10 at PepBoys

Old 03-01-2006   #47  
Registered!!

Not really necessary, but its good to have.
Old 03-01-2006   #48  

I know, but for 10 bucks..can't beat that!
Old 03-01-2006   #49  

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
I know, but for 10 bucks..can't beat that!
I can beat that....get a garden hose sitting around your house and suck on one end while the other is in the tranny, and voila. same principle.
Old 03-02-2006   #50  
Premium Member

uh doesnt the fluid come out by itself?
Old 03-02-2006   #51  
Registered!!

EM2 Shinobi is an unknown quantity at this point
lol, hold a gallon of water right side up and use a pump to get the water out for a glass of water, or just tip it and gravity will pull it out of the jug into your glass. undo oil pan bolt or tranny drain bolt and fluid spews out-same princible.
EM2 Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #52  
Registered!!

EM2 Shinobi is an unknown quantity at this point
but for putting the fluid in yout tranny, that would be the right tool...
EM2 Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #53  
Premium Member

i just use a funnel and pour it in. goes alot faster
Old 03-02-2006   #54  

lol..I know a simple hose would do. Basically bought it to put the oil in the reservoir, but it serves also to suction small metal parts from the bottom of the pan..in case there's any
Old 03-02-2006   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomster
I can beat that....get a garden hose sitting around your house and suck on one end while the other is in the tranny, and voila. same principle.
I was just kidding guys heh.
Old 03-04-2006   #56  

So I changed the fluid today..but I was able to only put two quarts and oil was coming out the filler bolt by almost the end of the 2nd quart..car was leveled and everything..but is it ok that it only took 2 quarts and not 3 like everyone said?

By the way, the pump sucked..lol so I returned it. It was sucking more air than oil. You guys were right, the best thing is a hose with a funnel.
Old 03-04-2006   #57  
Registered!!

Gonna do mines this summer, been getting gear grinds and gear poping out on second lately.
Old 03-04-2006   #58  

I should also add that the oil was very clean and there were no small metal parts attached to the magnetic bolt, I'm just over 31k..so either I've been driving the way I'm suppose to or the fluid can prolly be changed down the road like the manual says at 60k.

Just my two cents..
Old 03-10-2006   #59  
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
wtf? I just drain and tried to put more tranny fluid in. I only got about 2.25 quarts in.
usafstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #60  
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
maybe the manuals need less fluid? I have an auto and it took the full 3qts.
TemjinX2 is offline   Reply With Quote