The ULTIMATE DYI for head gasket and timing - CALL TO ARMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point
The ULTIMATE DYI for head gasket and timing - CALL TO ARMS

Hello all,

This next weekend I am going to tackle the job of a complete gasket job on my head and valves as well as changing my timing belt and water pump. I'm going to be doing it at a shop between Surrey and Langley, BC.

IF anyone want to come around and give a hand or just watch it might be a good way to gain some skills and see the troubles before you have to do it on your own.

I know that there are some really good DIY's out there, but you can probably never have enough pics or videos when it comes to this sort of thing.

I used to be involved with vancouver civics and it was a good community with some good friends. Not quite sure if this site works the same way, but I'm just putting the invitation out there.

July 16th amd 17th around 180th Street and Fraser Hwy.

If you are interested in coming out please don't hessitage to message me.

Last edited by MarkoPollo; 07-13-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The ULTIMATE DYI for head gasket and timing - CALL TO ARMS

check the link in my sig. It's a parts list and my lessons learned about changing a head gasket. At the end is the (although unfinished, but otherwise VERY helpful) DIY guide we have for changing a head gasket
Old 07-09-2011
Registered!!

1 cylinder head gasket - check
1 valve cover gasket - check
1 intake manifold gasket - check
1 exhaust manifold gasket - check
1 soft gasket - check
16 valve stem seals - check
6 rubber seals - check
1 oil seal - check
4 spark plug seals - check
Old 07-09-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had the time to finish that DIY.. I have so many pictures to put in there now its unreal.
Old 07-09-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkoPollo
1 cylinder head gasket - check
1 valve cover gasket - check
1 intake manifold gasket - check
1 exhaust manifold gasket - check
1 soft gasket - check
16 valve stem seals - check
6 rubber seals - check
1 oil seal - check
4 spark plug seals - check
Keep in mind, the thread I referred you to is more than just a parts list. It's long, but a worthy read. I had a catastrophic incident happen, and I hope people learn from my mistake.

Long story short: TDC sensor vibrated loose, got caught in the timing belt, tore it up, end result was 16 bent valves.

I tell my story not as a deterrent, but an example of what can go wrong down the road.
Old 07-09-2011
Registered!!

force1051 is an unknown quantity at this point

i went out to my civic this morning and there was gas leaking onto my tire from under the fender where the main intake for fuel is, i then opened my gas cap and fuel started pouring out of the hole..this is really bizarre..if anyone has any idea of wut could have caused this to happen i need some help..and why was there so much pressure in my take
Old 07-09-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Make your own thread please.
Old 07-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
I wish I had the time to finish that DIY.. I have so many pictures to put in there now its unreal.
well get on it! It will help me out and if I run into issues I can add to yours maybe?

Originally Posted by force1051
i went out to my civic this morning and there was gas leaking onto my tire from under the fender where the main intake for fuel is, i then opened my gas cap and fuel started pouring out of the hole..this is really bizarre..if anyone has any idea of wut could have caused this to happen i need some help..and why was there so much pressure in my take
Maybe post in a stereo install thread?

The other day I called my mom and we talked on the phone. What do you think?
Old 07-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I have a bunch of suspension parts and a retrofit I need to install next weekend, If I have time I might drop by though. Always good to meet another 7th gen guy, there are so few of us

The vcc guys are a bit different than we are here, but I'd definitely call some of the guys here friends, even if they live six -seven hours away. I think there are four of us from vancouver that are active.. vcc seems like a good crowd too, although I don't generally attend their meets.
Old 07-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Ill finish it soon.. feel free to ask any questions on the DIY thread or here and myself or Josh (Xriceboy) will answer them since we have done the job. Sandro has as well so you have lots of online support anyway.
Old 07-10-2011
Administrator
Administrator

I may be able to snap more pics when I do the job this time. I'm not pressured by school to get the job done, and I think I'll have legit help doing it. Doubt it though.. it's gonna be significantly hotter than the last time I did the job. I also may be doing this in San Diego, so it's gonna be hella more humid, too

but yea, I can help answer questions you have.

take your time, double check your work, and separate and organize your tools while you work. It'll cut SOOO much time by staying organized. Also, make sure you have EVERY tool you need before you start. I spent 3 hours driving around town in my dad's car searching for the proper valve spring compressor tool.
Old 07-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

well get on it! It will help me out and if I run into issues I can add to yours maybe?
Yep, please do I did post my experiences in there as well - it's beetr to have a consolidated one - we already have about 3 good DIY, so it starts getting confusing for the members which to follow.
Just be careful, that is in the DIY section, so you can post, but you cannot edit your post, so check what you pposting in there before submitting
Old 07-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Long story short: TDC sensor vibrated loose, got caught in the timing belt, tore it up, end result was 16 bent valves.
^ That made me decide to keep the upper cover out - It was a pain to remove the sensor and afterwards i wanted to make sure everything was in place, so kept cover off - will not reduce belt life by that much anyways.

Tom, did you remove the timing belt + head gasket link from your sig?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-belt-diy.html

Last edited by sdaidoji; 07-10-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I probably removed it at one point because it was incomplete but I can readd it... Eventually my sig will be so long nobody will want to see my posts any more! lol
Old 07-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Eventually my sig will be so long nobody will want to see my posts any more! lol
whose sig are you referring to?!?

I probably removed it at one point because it was incomplete but I can readd it...
that the reason we working to try to add as much as we can to it
Old 07-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Back on! Just for you Sandro
Old 07-12-2011
Registered!!

When I'm done this I'ma drive to Las Vegas!
Old 07-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I actually like the no upper timing cover idea, it would make it easy to watch for any potential issues. It's not that bad to run without one, the aem cam gears require no timing cover.
Old 07-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I actually like the no upper timing cover idea, it would make it easy to watch for any potential issues. It's not that bad to run without one, the aem cam gears require no upper timing cover.
Old 07-12-2011
Administrator
Administrator

When I'm done this I'ma drive to Las Vegas!
Stalker!

lol, just playin.. Nothing like a 25 hour drive to celebrate, huh?

edit: I guess 21, if you don't cut thorough cali
Old 07-12-2011
Whachya lookin at?

No upper timing cover has its disadvantages. The TDC and CPS sensors are VERY sensitve to moisture and dirt. So, the chances of dirt + water in there increase with no timing belt cover. Mind you people have ran a very long time without them and had no problems. That's totally up to you if you wanna run without it. The other issue is that if your bottom cover is fully sealed and the top is open if you do happen to get any moisture into the lower cover it will not drain out and just stay there. If you opt this route at least drill a drain hole in the bottom timing belt cover.
Old 07-13-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

No need for drains, mine was cracked :P
Old 07-13-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Even if it's cracked it might seal up once bolted into position. Depending on how bad the crack is of course lol..
Old 07-13-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

It' actually the base of one of the bolts, so kinda loose