7th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

A/c Compressor DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/c Compressor DIY

How much static pressure is in the system now?

What year is your car?
Old 09-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmac423 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a 2003 Civic.

The pressure is at 0 psi at the moment. Just kicked off the vacuum pump again.
Old 09-16-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The system cannot turn on with 0 PSI in it.

Fans will not run with the AC until compressor operation is enabled by the PCM.
The following users liked this post:
fuzi0nt3ch (04-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The system cannot turn on with 0 PSI in it.

Fans will not run with the AC until compressor operation is enabled by the PCM.
Yeah, makes sense. That's what I had been reading.

So, I just vacuumed the lines again. It showed about -27 psi. I shut the valves for both ports on the manifold. Start car. Still 27 psi. Connect bottle, purge yellow line, then open low pressure valve on manifold. The pressure shoots to 80 psi.

The yellow line is live, but nothing goes through the manifold at that point. It does go through the relief valve when I purge the line though.
Old 09-16-2014

Not sure I understand.....No vacuum or pressure is actually getting inside the system? Sounds like the hand valves aren't opening the Schrader valves in the service ports?

The pressure shoots to 80 psi.
That's pressure in the hose and gauge. Is it actually getting inside the AC system?
Old 09-16-2014
Registered!!

Not sure I understand.....No vacuum or pressure is actually getting inside the system? Sounds like the hand valves aren't opening the Schrader valves in the service ports?

That's pressure in the hose and gauge. Is it actually getting inside the AC system?
Hmmm... that's interesting. I just tried again, same deal. I then used a different manifold set (harbor freight) which seems to have a leak, so the vacuum doesn't hold.

I've got the things open and firmly connected. Why wouldn't they get inside the system?

Do you think one of my ports is fubared?

Last edited by bmac423; 09-17-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2014

Why wouldn't they get inside the system?
I can't tell from here and it didn't make sense to me yet, that's why I'm asking.

All our equipment has this type of service valves on the hoses, you have to spin the colored handle down to open the valve and depress the Schrader inside the service port
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

I can't tell from here and it didn't make sense to me yet, that's why I'm asking.

All our equipment has this type of service valves on the hoses, you have to spin the colored handle down to open the valve and depress the Schrader inside the service port
Yep, that's what I've got. You turn them clockwise to open the valves right? That's what the diagram shows anyway.
Old 09-17-2014

Originally Posted by bmac423
You turn them clockwise to open the valves right?
Yes,
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

Yes,
Man, I swear I'm doing it right. It's so weird. Thanks for all your help on this. I don't know what the hell is going on. I think you're right about the Schraeder valves possibly not opening. I just don't know why.
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

I removed the valve core on the low pressure side and inspected it. It looks fine to me.
Old 09-17-2014

I've only been guessing based on what you write.

Was there pressure or vacuum in the system when you removed the Schrader core?

Maybe, if the system was in fact pressurized, there is a different or additional problem causing the system to not work, that has not yet been addressed?
Old 09-18-2014
Registered!!

There was no pressure when I removed the core.
Old 09-18-2014

Originally Posted by bmac423
There was no pressure when I removed the core.
Based on whatever you were doing immediately prior to that step, should there have been either pressure or vacuum in the system?

If you use the vac pump to draw the system into a vacuum then stop and pull a core out, it should be apparent if the system actually had vacuum in it.
I'm thinking this would establish whether or not the valves and Schraders are doing the right things or not, right?
The following users liked this post:
fuzi0nt3ch (04-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave88LX is an unknown quantity at this point

Or you could flush the entire system to remove all the old oil (including drain the new compressor), then add 8oz fresh oil for the complete system???
If I were to do the mechanical work myself (replacing parts) and having a shop perform the evacuation and refilling of freon, what would you suggest to be done regarding oil? Will they remove it all anyways and start fresh?
Old 06-16-2015

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
If I were to do the mechanical work myself (replacing parts) and having a shop perform the evacuation and refilling of freon, what would you suggest to be done regarding oil? Will they remove it all anyways and start fresh?
If you want/need to remove the oil from the system, you would need to try to remove the oil yourself while the system is apart.

The recover-evacuate-recharge machines we use in shops cannot extract the oil from the system.
Any oil that does happen to come out to a machine was suspended in the freon that was recovered.