Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

New Headlight Adjustment Failing

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
persiano is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry New Headlight Adjustment Failing

Ok, So I bought a brand new set of Depo lights to replace the faded ones. Installation was alright and no issues. However, when adjusting the headlights against a wall 25 ft away, the light won't reach the wall, in fact, it reaches around halfway to the wall ! I tried the adjustment screw but it gets maxed out and clicks. Car has adjusting motor and lights are OEM swaps and not projectors. Any help would be appreciated, I paid around 220 $ for these and I really don't know what to do.
Old 05-05-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: New Headlight Adjustment Failing

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but do you have the bulbs in upside down? Seen it many times with similar description of poor light output.
Old 05-05-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but do you have the bulbs in upside down? Seen it many times with similar description of poor light output.
Anything at this point is a help ...I didn't know it's possible to put it in upside down, but I guess they are the right position
Old 05-05-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Depends entirely what style of bulb the car uses. I don't see a mention of year, and you are not an US market car so I wouldn't be completely familiar with it anyways. I do know for a fact that H4/hb2/9003 bulbs can be installed incorrectly. They are the most common type to see this happen to because of the design of the wire clip that holds the bulb into place.
Old 05-05-2016
Registered!!

same bulbs, top pin is positioned on top in the light housing
.. 2003, Sedan 1.6 Manual, Europe
Old 05-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

has adjusting motor
Headlight adjusting (leveling?) motors or mechanisms would be a logical thing to consider........

I'd look into how this works, what controls it, did it extend itself beyond where it is supposed to stop, is it wired up backwards, that sort of thing.
Old 05-05-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Headlight adjusting (leveling?) motors or mechanisms would be a logical thing to consider........

I'd look into how this works, what controls it, did it extend itself beyond where it is supposed to stop, is it wired up backwards, that sort of thing.
The adjuster on my lights is actually located on the adjuster motor itself. That is what I used to point the lights up. But they max out and click but the position is still too low
Old 05-05-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Are the reflectors loose inside the housing now?

Contact the seller, see if they have any ideas?
Old 05-06-2016
Registered!!

Reflectors are stiff .. nothing out of ordinary.. God damn it , I will probably buy a proper retrofitted set and get decent xenons ... I HATE reflectors ...
Old 05-06-2016

I dunno man..... Not a lot of areas to go wrong and there doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff involved: Housings, reflectors, and bulbs....(save for the remote adjusting motor mechanisms)....All I have thought of so far was

A) the housings are pointed downward, and that shouldn't happen because they bolt directly to the car, or

B) the guts (inside reflectors and holders) dropped out of normal position due to whatever may have happened or the motors ran them downward, or

C) the bulbs aren't quite properly mounted in their holes (judging by some of the messed up bulb replacements I have seen it is easy to get something simple done quite wrong)

Did you ask if the seller has any ideas?
Old 05-06-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I dunno man..... Not a lot of areas to go wrong and there doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff involved: Housings, reflectors, and bulbs....(save for the remote adjusting motor mechanisms)....All I have thought of so far was

A) the housings are pointed downward, and that shouldn't happen because they bolt directly to the car, or

B) the guts (inside reflectors and holders) dropped out of normal position due to whatever may have happened or the motors ran them downward, or

C) the bulbs aren't quite properly mounted in their holes (judging by some of the messed up bulb replacements I have seen it is easy to get something simple done quite wrong)

Did you ask if the seller has any ideas?
Option C, I like the sound of that ! I sure hope that's the case, I will try to fiddle around and maybe it's the rubber seals that came with the lights, maybe the small tiny metal bracket, I will replace them and report back ... Thanks a lot for the idea Much appreciated
Old 06-04-2016
Registered!!

Just an update, after the yearly inspection I was given 2 weeks to adjust the headlights... So today I opened up the bumper again and took out the lights. The adjuster motor was not secure in place in both lights as I though it's a simple click and twist. If you have a motorized headlight, the adjuster motor head (a white, ball type of plastic nipple) is a B*** to put it back in. It is going to require you holding the reflector from behind it and pushing the damn thing in all sort of angles til you are lucky and pops back in. It was the most idiotic design I have seen. I will check if I can adjust the lights tonight