Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car turns on fine, but I have trouble turning it OFF

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Youngrob650 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car turns on fine, but I have trouble turning it OFF

2000 Honda Civic ex
The key seems to be half way in the ignition. I came home last night from a buddies and I tried turning the car off and power down. It was really hard turning the key to the off position.

The key comes out of the ignition when I have the car running, but the key won't turn off the key reminder and is always beeping when I open the door. Luckily I was able to cut all power to the car but the ignition still isn't in the right place. It feels jammed. Car starts up fine, just that key is not fully in the ignition
Old 11-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car turns on fine, but I have trouble turning it OFF

Got a newer key that isn't worn out?

Sounds like it might be time for an overhaul/cleaning/lubing of the ignition lock assembly.
Old 11-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Youngrob650 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a spare but never worked for the ignition, just the car door locks. Now, turning on the engine, its slowly getting worse. Have no other key. I heard spraying wd40 helps but I don't have any on hand at the moment.
Old 11-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the ignition probably got replaced at some point in the cars life.
Maybe with a used unit that's now worn out?

Lube the hell out of it, you got nothing to lose now LOL
Old 11-12-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Youngrob650
I had a spare but never worked for the ignition, just the car door locks. Now, turning on the engine, its slowly getting worse. Have no other key. I heard spraying wd40 helps but I don't have any on hand at the moment.
Electronic cleaner/lube would be better than WD-40: https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717842309