Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

LED headlights, yea or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red_Chaos1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question LED headlights, yea or nay?

So less than a year ago I had one of my headlights go out, and I replaced them with Sylvania Silverstars. Well, on eof them burned out the other day, so I stopped by Autozone and looked at bulbs. I ended up just paying $10 for a single normal Sylvania bulb because I knew I still had the one good one from before I replaced them. So I have 2 good bulbs again for now. But I hate what they cost and the fact that they have shorter life if you want brighter bulbs.

Enter considering LED headlamps. They make plenty of 9003/H4 type headlamps with quite a bit more lumens than conventional halogens. That said, I've been reading that most are not DOT approved, and there's talk about beam throw being terrible and blinding for oncoming drivers. Video/picture evidence seems to show otherwise, as well as the way most of these bulbs are built, they throw light in the same way that the halogens would; in one direction to let the built in whatever that thing is called throw the light back and into the reflector to be projected out onto the road. If they actually work as a halogen would in this regard, it seems like a no brainer. Far brighter, no stupid filament to burn out, built in heatsinks to handle heat, plus they all seem to come with their own resistor pack so they don't cause hyper flashing.

So yeah. What's the opinion here? Anyone else use them or have experience with them?
Old 08-18-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: LED headlights, yea or nay?

...Well ya If Lumens are greater than stosk then they will blind people.

I have some cheapo LED DLRs, they run well but the lumens are too low. make sure if you buy a set you get the good ones which match OEM output, or a tad more but done' kill other drivers, lol.

...you may also have issues blowing fuses, I had to move up form OEM 15amp to 30amp.