Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

HID's in OEM Fog Lights

Old 03-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wagstaff13 will become famous soon enoughwagstaff13 will become famous soon enough
HID's in OEM Fog Lights

I can barely notice my clear oem fog lights.

Thinking about putting some cheap hid's in my stock fog reflectors. I am looking at 35W 6000k bulbs.

What are your thoughts on this? Will it be blinding to oncoming traffic even though they are fog light?
Old 03-16-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: HID's in OEM Fog Lights

Do they still have the bulbs in that came with the fog lights? Maybe bump up to a better bulb first.
Old 03-16-2014
Registered!!

wagstaff13 will become famous soon enoughwagstaff13 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GolNat
Do they still have the bulbs in that came with the fog lights? Maybe bump up to a better bulb first.
I have 'blue' bulbs in it now. Didnt see much difference
Old 03-16-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wagstaff13
I have 'blue' bulbs in it now. Didnt see much difference
Why blue? To get the best results, you'd want yellow or white.
Old 03-16-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yea, blue wouldn't be the best.

I was thinking of more like an ultra star headlight but for fog light sized bulbs.
Old 03-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I can barely notice my clear oem fog lights.

Thinking about putting some cheap hid's in my stock fog reflectors. I am looking at 35W 6000k bulbs.

What are your thoughts on this? Will it be blinding to oncoming traffic even though they are fog light?
It depends on what you expect from fog lights. Correctly designed fog lights have a very sharp cut-off and concentrate most of the light down and a short distance. If you turn your high beams on in fog all you get is glare so fog lights are kind of the opposite. A lot of times when you turn fogs on you barely notice the additional light unless you look at the area between your low beams and the car.

Changing to a different bulb is unpredicatable. If the filament is in a different location the results from the reflector will be different. If it is a brighter bulb but the light source is in the same position, you will have more light but it may still be in an area that you don't really notice.

If you want more light at a greater distance I would suggest you look into driving lights.
Old 03-17-2014
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

*cough* retrofit *cough*
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-3-kit-h1.html
Old 03-17-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
Those would not fit in my fogs, nor am I willing to spend $300 on them.
The only thing i want my fogs for is looks.
Old 03-17-2014
Super Moderator

Those would not fit in my fogs, nor am I willing to spend $300 on them.
No they would not, they would fit in your headlight housings. These might work: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-3-kit-h1.html

The only thing i want my fogs for is looks.
Oh, if you only want them for looks then get whatever the hell you want as long as it's legal. Good results cost good money though. Since you were complaining about not being able to see the beam, we were all under the impression that you wanted better lighting.

Will it [HIDs] be blinding to oncoming traffic even though they are fog light?
Yes, they will. Technically you're not supposed to use fog lights at all unless they're needed (i.e. fog/low visibility situations) because of the glare they put on the road and into oncoming drivers' eyes. The even brighter HID bulbs will only exacerbate that problem.

Last edited by Poopies; 03-17-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Added stuff