Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

E46 bi-xenon solenoid wiring heLP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mackin is an unknown quantity at this point
E46 bi-xenon solenoid wiring heLP!

I've made the harness for the solenoids properly except I noticed when I turn the lowbeams on, I tested with a voltmeter that even the hi-beam plug gets +12v, which causes the bi-xenon flap to activate...

If I wire it to the other wire on the hi-beam plug I notice the voltage decreases when the hi-beams are activated, which causes the bi-xenon flap to return to its normal position. So I technically have it working, except its in reverse...

Has anyone else used e46 bi-xenons projectors for their retro?

TIA
Old 08-19-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
what are you trying to do? there are 3 wires for each headlight harness plug that are normally dead, 12v constant, lo beam, and hi beam. one is 12v constant that becomes hot when either lo or hi is activated. then there is the lo beam wire (with the lo beam on, the 12v wire and the hi beam wire will be hot, and the lo beam works because it gets 12v and is grounded through the lo beam wire). when you turn the hi beam on, the hi beam wire goes dead and acts as a ground so the hibeam works by getting power from 12v wire and grounding off the hi beam wire. the lo beam wire becomes hot to prevent the lo beams from working (two hot wires).

i am not sure how the solenoid is supposed to be wired. so you need to figure out based on what ive given you. i would think if it requires power and only activates when the hi beam is used, then you should wire it exactly like the hi beam bulb, with 12v constant wire and the hi beam wire.

for one plug the wires are 12v constant (red/yel), lo beam (red/wht), and hi beam (red/blu). for the other plug its 12v constant (red), lo beam (red/wht), and hi beam (red/blu).

Last edited by gearbox; 08-19-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-19-2006
Registered!!

mackin is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply, but does that explanation still apply if I have 04' up headlights?
Old 08-19-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
sortof. the red/yel (one side) and red (other side) wires are the same for lo and hi beam. then it gets confusing. there is a red/blu wire for hi beams and a <blu/red> wire going from the under dash fuse box to the headlight relay and fuses 15 and 17. now the confusing thing is for the lo beam, when you turn them on, the blu/red becomes a ground to light up both sides. but when you turn the hi beam on, both lo AND hi beam are on. this is opposite the 01-03 H4 which turns off the lo beam when hi beam is used. the reason you see a voltage drop is due to all the bulbs drawing power from tiny wires at once.

oh man i just saw youre from canada -flips page to canada 04 wire diagram--
okay this is even worse due to drl module. for lo beam, ground is applied through blu/red wire and voltage is applied through fuses 15 and 17. now the hi beam, ground is applied through blu/red AND grn/blk wire of the combo switch. the drl is also grounded. the red/grn and red/blu wires provide voltage for hi beams. now this is seeming like impossible to even wire something like a solenoid. my advice would be buy (www.suvlights.com) or make a new wire harness and run it to a power that is only active when hi beam is on. then just ground the solenoid to the chassis or battery negative.
Old 08-19-2006
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
sorry gearbox, but your completely wrong on this one. For the e46 soleniod wiring you have three wires one red which is the +, a black which is the weak ground and the green which is a strong ground.

The weak ground moves the flap open and close and the strong ground keeps the flap open.

There's a diagram of this on hidplanet, but unfortunately its down. Your going to need to wire them to a relay and i believe you need a 4005 diode and a 470ohm resistor. Don't take my word for it though, i'm just going off of memory.

One you wire that up, the easier way is just to wire it the oem foglight switch and just turn it on whenever you feel necessary.

PM 2k2_civic_ex_4d

he should have the diagram to wire it. He made my harness for me, since i suck at soldering.
Old 08-19-2006
Premium Member

forget what i said then lol. i had a solenoid at one point but all the wiring was plug and play.
Old 08-19-2006
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
yeah its an example of german overengineering.

the e90 soleniods are just a simple two wire + and -. The e46's are a big pain, but the soleniod is pretty strong. It makes a big thump sound whenever i turn them on and off.
Old 08-19-2006
Premium Member

mine did too i could hear them in the car. but i must say separate halogen hi beam owns. there is so much light everywhere with both on at same time.
Old 08-20-2006
Registered!!

yeah i agree, i have my stock high beams on my 04-05 and i have the bi-xenon attached to a separate fog light switch. This way i can turn my halogens on and off in a quick fashion if i need to signal someone to get out of the way lol.
Old 08-22-2006
Registered!!

here's the diagram for future reference. In case hidplanet is down again.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bosch_wiring_final_v3.gif
Views:	6347
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	67672