Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Underbody Neon mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wonderz is on a distinguished road
i still have my doubts about the 2x4 holding the whole neon tube tho.
just look at the first pic... they don't even extent to the middle of the car...
Old 07-19-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Doubt away. My neons held for 8 months with no shattering plus they were not visible when standing outside the car.
Old 07-19-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Trust me, with how tight these things were held against the car it's pretty damned hard to pull em out. You'd have to slightly bend the tube to be able to slide it out.

The mounting brackets I got with my tubes seemed too flexible and they held the neon too far away from the car. I was afraid of scraping/breaking of clamps/breaking of tubes.

Last edited by armieo; 07-19-2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2004
Registered!!

hehe.. thanks again
hopefully i can get these things installed this week.
time to go out to buy some hose clamps
Old 07-19-2004
The Rizing Sun

Akutenshi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by armieo
Nice! Let me draw up a schematic...

Buy these....

The size should be at least the diameter of a jar of peanut butter or a large mug... the larger the better... but not TOO big. Go to home depot and look around... get the medium-large ones.
heh wow, those look pretty professional! :P what exactly is the thing called at home depot?
Old 07-19-2004
< My future wife.

Lol I don't know... pipe clamps? Just describe it to someone in the plumbing department... they should know....

Hey! If this mini DIY helped, reputation points will not go unappreciated!!!
Old 07-19-2004
The Rizing Sun

hah! i dont think so slacker, make a DIY first, THEN u get some pts. XD hahahah
Old 07-19-2004
< My future wife.

They DIY is right there, you didn't see it?
Old 07-19-2004
< My future wife.

Wow I guess that's the last time I help anyone out on this site.

Hopefully wonderz is a good man.
Old 07-19-2004
The Rizing Sun

haha i was just kiddin around with ya man
Old 07-19-2004
< My future wife.

Hah I'm totally sorry I couldn't do it with real pics but it'd be wholly impractical to do it because I really don't have the means or gear to show you on my car. Plus I have sideskirts.

But my DIY was simple enough and made sense right guys?
Old 07-19-2004
Registered!!

added to your reputation thingy... didn't seem to do anything
anyways thanks again
btw, how many clamps did you use for each side?

about the reputation thing... how does it work exactly anyways... i think i have helped a few on the board... but no one seems to add my reputation.. oh well
Old 07-19-2004
< My future wife.

I used 2 clamps on each side. On the sides where it was hard to pry open the cracks, I used zip ties linked end to end.
Old 07-19-2004
Registered!!

Texas Rice is an unknown quantity at this point
Where did you guys mount the switch? I have had my switch just hanging loose and wires under my floormat. Pics would be great, thanks.
Old 07-19-2004
< My future wife.

Here you go

Old 07-19-2004
Registered!!

i probably would mount the the switch on the center console next the cigarette lighter...
oh this brings up a another question... how do you pull the wires into the interior the car?
Old 07-19-2004
< My future wife.

Firewall under the floor of the passenger side front footwell. Closer to the center console and up the side of the wall a bit.
Old 07-19-2004
Registered!!

what about from inside the car to the engine bay?
Old 07-19-2004
< My future wife.

That's what I was talking about.
Old 07-19-2004
Banned

irishtemper has a spectacular aura aboutirishtemper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by drinksOy
neons or leds, they both give off the same kind of glow right? i would think that with LEDS, thered be little spots of light on the floor that blend out with the other ones?

n btw, wahts the price difference on leds and neons. hope its not that much more $$
The neons are a gas charged tube, the LEDs are not. LEDs is just a diode and has more of a wider band and will give off a better glow.
http://www.800streetglow.com/ this is the website. LED kits are $229.99 and the neon base kit is $169.95.
Old 07-19-2004
The Rizing Sun

ah okay. goodstuff irishtemper. thanks