Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

both headlights not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
adadani is an unknown quantity at this point
both headlights not working

ok i've got this major problem on my car, one day i get off work at night and i turn on my car and my headlights aren't working. the parking lights work, the turn signals work, and even the high beams work, but the low beams don't work. i checked the fuses, the fuses are fine, now i have no idea what to do because now if i drive at night, i have to drive with high beams and i can't keep trying to blind everyone on the road. does anyone know how i can solve this problem as soon as possible?
The following users liked this post:
Perry Carr (02-18-2021)
Old 03-04-2004
Registered!!

i'm not dumb, that was the first thing i did, i replaced both headlights.
Old 03-04-2004
Civicforums Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
are you aware of the recall on this issue??
Old 03-06-2004
Registered!!

no, but i got it fixed, thanks for your replies!
Old 02-15-2008
Registered!!

testdrive is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: both headlights not working

ok, i have this same problem...i dont know what to do..i already checked the fuses but nothin...i did hear about the recall but not to sure what my next step is in this problem. can anyone help me please?!
Old 02-15-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

do your hi beams work? if so, its prolly the recall. the wires in the oem switch burn out and then it wont work. what year is your car? i think it was recalled for 01 and some 02 civics.
Old 02-16-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by testdrive
ok, i have this same problem...i dont know what to do..i already checked the fuses but nothin...i did hear about the recall but not to sure what my next step is in this problem. can anyone help me please?!
did you change the bulbs yet? don't just "check" them. change them first. that's the easiest thing to do before you go tearing things apart.
Old 07-10-2010
Registered!!

Hodie541 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone happen to have the recall number? I have the same thing happen to my Civic.
Old 07-10-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

post your email and i can send the recall .pdf document. or just pm me the email.
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

melmashman is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2005 Civic and noticed one front headlight out. The next time I drove it both headlights were out. The two fuses are fine. I did a Google search and found a recall for the 2002 Civic: 2. EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Recall Number: 04V086000
Dates Manufactured: N/A to N/A
Number of Vehicles Affected: 440000
Date Owners Notified On: N/A
Vehicle: 2002 Honda Civic
I am calling the dealer to see if the recall includes 2005.
Mel Mashman
mel@mashman.com
Old 09-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melmashman
I have a 2005 Civic and noticed one front headlight out. The next time I drove it both headlights were out. The two fuses are fine. I did a Google search and found a recall for the 2002 Civic: 2. EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Recall Number: 04V086000
Dates Manufactured: N/A to N/A
Number of Vehicles Affected: 440000
Date Owners Notified On: N/A
Vehicle: 2002 Honda Civic
I am calling the dealer to see if the recall includes 2005.
Mel Mashman
mel@mashman.com
did you try changing the bulbs yet? since both are installed at the same time, they operate together, it's perfectly normal that they burn out at roughly the same time. i bet its just your bulbs that are bad.
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

goodrich is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 01 civic and have had the problem three times now, the solution, besides having Honda replace the part is take the switch assembly out of the steering column and you will find that the assembly is most likely covered in a light oil. If you take some methanol and clean the inside and outside very well the lights will work for about 6 months before you have to do it again. I am going to my local dealer tomorrow to see if they will fix this once and for all.
Old 10-04-2015
Registered!!

GRIZZLEY ADAMS is an unknown quantity at this point

03 honda civic low beams out again,recall done,will honda replace switch
Old 06-26-2016
Registered!!

Jem2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

so i have a 2002 honda civic sedan with sun roof my headlights dont work the highbeams do and the drl works i checked the contacts at the bulb terminal there is no ground going to the headlight bulb all three have power i just bought new bulbs and the same problem i have to drive with the highbeams for now at night but i want to get to the root of the problem i can simply by pass a terminal and ground it but that will take away the drl and i want to have drl and headlights working i flick the switch to the last and the side lights glow but no headlights im assuming the switch but i removed that to and didnt see any grease or anything that would be wrong but there is a recall i also replaced the drl with a known working one from my dads civic so what is your input
Old 06-26-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jem2001
so i have a 2002 honda civic sedan with sun roof my headlights dont work the highbeams do and the drl works i checked the contacts at the bulb terminal there is no ground going to the headlight bulb all three have power i just bought new bulbs and the same problem i have to drive with the highbeams for now at night but i want to get to the root of the problem i can simply by pass a terminal and ground it but that will take away the drl and i want to have drl and headlights working i flick the switch to the last and the side lights glow but no headlights im assuming the switch but i removed that to and didnt see any grease or anything that would be wrong but there is a recall i also replaced the drl with a known working one from my dads civic so what is your input
Did Canadian cars have a recall for the low beams quitting? The USA cars do.
Call your local Honda dealership and find out.
Old 06-27-2016
Registered!!

Jem2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

well im not sure about the whole recall thing to be honest i just followed based off my diagnostic troubleshooting of changing fuses and bulbs and checking wires because all the fuses are good and relays are good so mehh on that ??
Old 06-27-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Cal your dealership, find out if your car needs any recalls done.
Old 06-14-2019
Registered!!

Amneet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by adadani
no, but i got it fixed, thanks for your replies!
So what was problem mate
I got the same issue
Can you please email me Amubatth@yahoo.com
Old 06-07-2020
Registered!!

Dom1nofx is an unknown quantity at this point

Old thread but new and decided to work on my brother's '03 civic lx - high and low beams aren't working but everything else is. Should I just start and replace the headlight switch because I don't think this recall would apply at this late in the game. thx
Old 06-07-2020
Click Here

Received 1,153 Likes on 900 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dom1nofx
Old thread but new and decided to work on my brother's '03 civic lx - high and low beams aren't working but everything else is. Should I just start and replace the headlight switch because I don't think this recall would apply at this late in the game. thx
If the recall was never performed, then it's probably still valid. I would call the dealership to see.
Dom1nofx (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020

Originally Posted by Dom1nofx
Recalls do not expire.

See links in signature:

Dom1nofx (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020
Registered!!

Dom1nofx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you - I did check and it says 0 recalls. I'll try and replace the light switch anyway and see if this will fix his issue. Thanks again.