Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Lighting (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/102-lighting)
-   -   both headlights not working (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/102-lighting/142152-both-headlights-not-working.html)

adadani 02-29-2004 03:52 PM

both headlights not working

ok i've got this major problem on my car, one day i get off work at night and i turn on my car and my headlights aren't working. the parking lights work, the turn signals work, and even the high beams work, but the low beams don't work. i checked the fuses, the fuses are fine, now i have no idea what to do because now if i drive at night, i have to drive with high beams and i can't keep trying to blind everyone on the road. does anyone know how i can solve this problem as soon as possible?

adadani 03-04-2004 04:11 PM

i'm not dumb, that was the first thing i did, i replaced both headlights.

FALKEN 03-04-2004 04:45 PM

are you aware of the recall on this issue??

adadani 03-06-2004 09:02 PM

no, but i got it fixed, thanks for your replies!

testdrive 02-15-2008 06:00 PM

Re: both headlights not working

ok, i have this same problem...i dont know what to do..i already checked the fuses but nothin...i did hear about the recall but not to sure what my next step is in this problem. can anyone help me please?!

gearbox 02-15-2008 06:25 PM

do your hi beams work? if so, its prolly the recall. the wires in the oem switch burn out and then it wont work. what year is your car? i think it was recalled for 01 and some 02 civics.

electric130 02-16-2008 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by testdrive (Post 4287984)
ok, i have this same problem...i dont know what to do..i already checked the fuses but nothin...i did hear about the recall but not to sure what my next step is in this problem. can anyone help me please?!

did you change the bulbs yet? don't just "check" them. change them first. that's the easiest thing to do before you go tearing things apart.

Hodie541 07-10-2010 06:57 AM

Anyone happen to have the recall number? I have the same thing happen to my Civic.

gearbox 07-10-2010 11:15 AM

post your email and i can send the recall .pdf document. or just pm me the email.

melmashman 09-29-2010 01:19 PM

I have a 2005 Civic and noticed one front headlight out. The next time I drove it both headlights were out. The two fuses are fine. I did a Google search and found a recall for the 2002 Civic: 2. EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Recall Number: 04V086000
Dates Manufactured: N/A to N/A
Number of Vehicles Affected: 440000
Date Owners Notified On: N/A
Vehicle: 2002 Honda Civic
I am calling the dealer to see if the recall includes 2005.
Mel Mashman
mel@mashman.com

electric130 09-29-2010 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by melmashman (Post 4491212)
I have a 2005 Civic and noticed one front headlight out. The next time I drove it both headlights were out. The two fuses are fine. I did a Google search and found a recall for the 2002 Civic: 2. EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Recall Number: 04V086000
Dates Manufactured: N/A to N/A
Number of Vehicles Affected: 440000
Date Owners Notified On: N/A
Vehicle: 2002 Honda Civic
I am calling the dealer to see if the recall includes 2005.
Mel Mashman
mel@mashman.com

did you try changing the bulbs yet? since both are installed at the same time, they operate together, it's perfectly normal that they burn out at roughly the same time. i bet its just your bulbs that are bad.

goodrich 11-15-2011 09:44 PM

I have a 01 civic and have had the problem three times now, the solution, besides having Honda replace the part is take the switch assembly out of the steering column and you will find that the assembly is most likely covered in a light oil. If you take some methanol and clean the inside and outside very well the lights will work for about 6 months before you have to do it again. I am going to my local dealer tomorrow to see if they will fix this once and for all.:lol:

GRIZZLEY ADAMS 10-04-2015 05:40 PM

03 honda civic low beams out again,recall done,will honda replace switch

Jem2001 06-26-2016 06:40 PM

so i have a 2002 honda civic sedan with sun roof my headlights dont work the highbeams do and the drl works i checked the contacts at the bulb terminal there is no ground going to the headlight bulb all three have power i just bought new bulbs and the same problem i have to drive with the highbeams for now at night but i want to get to the root of the problem i can simply by pass a terminal and ground it but that will take away the drl and i want to have drl and headlights working i flick the switch to the last and the side lights glow but no headlights im assuming the switch but i removed that to and didnt see any grease or anything that would be wrong but there is a recall i also replaced the drl with a known working one from my dads civic so what is your input

ezone 06-26-2016 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jem2001 (Post 4709710)
so i have a 2002 honda civic sedan with sun roof my headlights dont work the highbeams do and the drl works i checked the contacts at the bulb terminal there is no ground going to the headlight bulb all three have power i just bought new bulbs and the same problem i have to drive with the highbeams for now at night but i want to get to the root of the problem i can simply by pass a terminal and ground it but that will take away the drl and i want to have drl and headlights working i flick the switch to the last and the side lights glow but no headlights im assuming the switch but i removed that to and didnt see any grease or anything that would be wrong but there is a recall i also replaced the drl with a known working one from my dads civic so what is your input

Did Canadian cars have a recall for the low beams quitting? The USA cars do.
Call your local Honda dealership and find out.

Jem2001 06-27-2016 11:23 PM

well im not sure about the whole recall thing to be honest i just followed based off my diagnostic troubleshooting of changing fuses and bulbs and checking wires because all the fuses are good and relays are good so mehh on that ??

ezone 06-27-2016 11:25 PM

Cal your dealership, find out if your car needs any recalls done.

Amneet 06-14-2019 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by adadani (Post 1843176)
no, but i got it fixed, thanks for your replies!

So what was problem mate
I got the same issue
Can you please email me Amubatth@yahoo.com

Dom1nofx 06-07-2020 05:46 PM

Old thread but new and decided to work on my brother's '03 civic lx - high and low beams aren't working but everything else is. Should I just start and replace the headlight switch because I don't think this recall would apply at this late in the game. thx

FRSam 06-07-2020 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dom1nofx (Post 4776743)
Old thread but new and decided to work on my brother's '03 civic lx - high and low beams aren't working but everything else is. Should I just start and replace the headlight switch because I don't think this recall would apply at this late in the game. thx

If the recall was never performed, then it's probably still valid. I would call the dealership to see.

ezone 06-07-2020 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dom1nofx (Post 4776743)

Recalls do not expire.

See links in signature:

Dom1nofx 06-07-2020 11:22 PM

Thank you - I did check and it says 0 recalls. I'll try and replace the light switch anyway and see if this will fix his issue. Thanks again.