Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

New suspension installed...Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FerstlerSlim has a little shameless behaviour in the past
New suspension installed...Question

I installed Tokico HTS shocks and struts with Vogtland springs 1.3" drop. (2004 EX, 2dr) Installation seemed pretty straight forward but i have a clunking sound coming from the front struts, when i hit sharp bumps or pot holes. I put new strut bearings in and sway bar end links. There was a slight clunk in the rear before the install and i still have it after the install. I shortened the rear bump stops about an inch to accomodate the lower springs.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Other than the clunking, the car feels great. Its my commuter(75miles/day) and i merely installed the springs to replace the worn stockers. The ride is extremely nice and not too harsh. I still have to play with the adjusters and see what setting i like the best.

Dave
Old 05-23-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: New suspension installed...Question

did you recheck the bolts and nutsw after the install?
If yes and no issues found, try to see the top mounts? I had to change them after installing my KYB AGX.
Besides that, could be sway bar endlinks.
Old 05-24-2010
Registered!!

I changed the top mounts and sway bar end links. Can anything go together improperly? Can the springs be upside down?

Dave
Old 05-24-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FerstlerSlim
I changed the top mounts and sway bar end links. Can anything go together improperly? Can the springs be upside down?

Dave
strut bearings = strut mounts... Duh! for me... Let's see if somebody else will chime in.
Old 05-24-2010
Registered!!

Cool, no prob.

The ball joints are in good shape. I'm not sure if the lower control arm bushings could be bad, or if its merely the fact that their is no rubber lower spring perch.

Dave
Old 06-05-2010
Registered!!

mahout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FerstlerSlim
I installed Tokico HTS shocks and struts with Vogtland springs 1.3" drop. (2004 EX, 2dr) Installation seemed pretty straight forward but i have a clunking sound coming from the front struts, when i hit sharp bumps or pot holes. I put new strut bearings in and sway bar end links. There was a slight clunk in the rear before the install and i still have it after the install. I shortened the rear bump stops about an inch to accomodate the lower springs.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Other than the clunking, the car feels great. Its my commuter(75miles/day) and i merely installed the springs to replace the worn stockers. The ride is extremely nice and not too harsh. I still have to play with the adjusters and see what setting i like the best.

Dave
Often they are result of not bedding the springs against the lower stops. Make sure you twist the springs tight against those stops before tightening the sprin upper seat.
Old 06-05-2010
Registered!!

Thanks Mahout, that sounds like what would be causing my issues. I still have to take it apart. I ordered a Civic Haynes repair book....its that bad. Hahaha

On a side note, the springs settled big time. What started off as a 1.25-1.3" drop turned into closer to 1.5"-1.6"". It's still manageable with my stock rims and tires, but i think it would be a little bumpy for my commuter if i put on some thin side-walled 17" or 18" tires.

Dave

Last edited by FerstlerSlim; 06-06-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2010
Registered!!

speeeedddddfrea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mahout
Often they are result of not bedding the springs against the lower stops. Make sure you twist the springs tight against those stops before tightening the sprin upper seat.
totally true
Old 10-06-2010
Registered!!

I have a feeling you are correct,. Nothing up front looks loose or worn that would clunk.

Dave