Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Does this sound like a tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metalzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Does this sound like a tranny problem?

My civic 04 started having this problem where every time it shifts into 3rd gear (Auto tranny) the engine just revs until i let go of the gas and it gets back to normal. It literally started happening just a few hours ago and prior to that it was fine.

Also, I feel like it could be the fuel pump because when it jerks in the back of the car (back seat area) when it shifts.
Old 01-23-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Does this sound like a tranny problem?

Were you on steep uphill? If so, normal.

Steep as in crossing a mountain range
Old 01-23-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Were you on steep uphill? If so, normal.

Steep as in crossing a mountain range
No I wasn't

It's like it revs high before it actually shifts. No engine lights and no blinking lights on the dashboard and also when I shift from P to R, N, D, D2 it shifts perfectly.

Could the fuel pump/filter cause this? Or can a clogged cat converter cause this? Dirty O2 sensor?

So yesterday I went back to stock (removed headers and put cat back in)
The cat was sitting for a long time btw..
Old 01-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Flare on 2-->3 shift.......lots of miles on it? 3rd clutch pack worn out? Fluid dark or smelly?
Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

Just to update this thread.
The problem got worst real fast. 2nd gave out and then shortly after, 1st gave out as well!!
Had my transmission rebuilt and runs like new again!
Old 01-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Cool.
Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

greenbackz is an unknown quantity at this point

oh god... sounds oh so familiar.. mine started doing that a few days ago.. wonder how long i've got..
Old 02-25-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by greenbackz
oh god... sounds oh so familiar.. mine started doing that a few days ago.. wonder how long i've got..
If your transmission hasn't taken a **** yet then read this with attention to P. Adams (Wilford Brimley) replies: http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-1...ssion-2484439/

If after checking/cleaning (and possibly adjusting) the shift cable (located on transmission housing) and checking/testing/cleaning the shift solenoids doesn't help you could (at your own discretion) try this product: https://static.pepboys.com/images/pr...00/TT%2016.jpg and afterwards do an ATF drain and fill. I've never used it, not a believer in a mechanic-in-a-can and not sure if it would help but, as a last ditch effort before rebuild then why not.