I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Horn Help????

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ex-cobalter is an unknown quantity at this point
Horn Help????

Okay, so, i was driving down the road, minding my own business, when some jerk went and cut me off. First instinct was to hit the horn....................no sound?????????????????????i resorted to the second scenario, and gave him the finger instead.

Anyways, i cant figure out where the horn fuse is to check it, cause it was working when i got the car a month ago, and where the actual horn is located so i can bench test it...........94 Civic HB, Thnx
Old 04-18-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Horn Help????

Check the brake lights to see if they are working. (the horn and brake lights are normally the same fuse)

When quiet, listen for the a relay clicking noise under the hood while attempting the horn.

The horn is most likely behind the front bumper.
Old 04-18-2008
Registered!!

brake lights still work

prolly the relay
Old 04-19-2008

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Many of the relays are the same part # as the others, Swap the horn relay with one with the same # as a test.
Old 04-19-2008
Registered!!

yep, i knew that, just didnt know where the bloody fuse was. thnx
Old 05-07-2008
Prince of Persia

Yoshiemaster will become famous soon enough

i'm having the same problem.

1. brake lights work.

2. I hear the relay clicking when i press the horn (i've swapped the relay with one i know that works and both give me clicky noises).

...what does this mean and what can i do to fix it?

Any immediate help would be much appreciated, i have the front bumper off right now

thanks in advance fellas.

EDIT: ok so after doing some more searching, i think the problem is either in "the relay contacts or horn"..... how do i go about solving the relay contact issue?

Last edited by Yoshiemaster; 05-07-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: more searching
Old 05-07-2008
Prince of Persia

well i did some basic voltometeringnessess and came to the conclusion that my horn is fuxored....

i'll be swingin around the junkyard to pickup a working unit.
Old 05-07-2008

See if you have voltage at the horn... If so the horns coil is open or poor input voltage terminal connection or grounding at the horn. If no voltage present at the horn you will need to trace back from there.

You could also try slightly moving the horn relay while someone holds down the horn button and see if it tries to work.
Old 05-07-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

is the horn grounded properly? if that bracket is not making good contact, it wont work.
Old 05-07-2008
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
is the horn grounded properly? if that bracket is not making good contact, it wont work.
X2. Most horns are grounded thru their mount. Very common point of failure.
Old 05-10-2008
Prince of Persia

Originally Posted by CraigW
See if you have voltage at the horn... If so the horns coil is open or poor input voltage terminal connection or grounding at the horn. If no voltage present at the horn you will need to trace back from there.

You could also try slightly moving the horn relay while someone holds down the horn button and see if it tries to work.

yea i read 12v at the horn, and i didn't think anything else would be at fault so i went ahead and picked up a horn.

ahahaha Gearbox you always have my back when i run into civic problems. The ground was the 3rd thing i checked (first the fuse and relay). I sanded down the the grounding cable and where it connects to the body, that didn't fix it. then i did the same thing with the mounting bracket JUST to make sure.

I called a couple junkyards the other day and found a place that wanted $10 for the horn and i could take it off the car myself. i drove over to this bum****townville junkyard and picked it up (people there were really friendly).

I'm going to be drivin across country next week so i'm getting everything in my car straightened out this week (already got new tires, changed the oil/filter, in the middle of fixing this horn, then i have to change the brakepads and hopefully get some silverstar ultra bulbs). I haven't tried installin the horn yet cuz i'm going to wait till i buy my pads and headlamps so i can just get everything done at once, i'll update later.

thanks guys.