Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/239-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   Horn Help???? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/239-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/306756-horn-help.html)

ex-cobalter 04-18-2008 12:59 AM

Horn Help????

Okay, so, i was driving down the road, minding my own business, when some jerk went and cut me off. First instinct was to hit the horn....................no sound?????????????????????:hithead:i resorted to the second scenario, and gave him the finger instead.

Anyways, i cant figure out where the horn fuse is to check it, cause it was working when i got the car a month ago, and where the actual horn is located so i can bench test it...........94 Civic HB, Thnx

CraigW 04-18-2008 05:24 AM

Re: Horn Help????

Check the brake lights to see if they are working. (the horn and brake lights are normally the same fuse)

When quiet, listen for the a relay clicking noise under the hood while attempting the horn.

The horn is most likely behind the front bumper.

ex-cobalter 04-18-2008 09:00 PM

brake lights still work

prolly the relay

CraigW 04-19-2008 08:47 AM

Many of the relays are the same part # as the others, Swap the horn relay with one with the same # as a test.

ex-cobalter 04-19-2008 02:56 PM

yep, i knew that, just didnt know where the bloody fuse was. thnx

Yoshiemaster 05-07-2008 02:15 PM

i'm having the same problem.

1. brake lights work.

2. I hear the relay clicking when i press the horn (i've swapped the relay with one i know that works and both give me clicky noises).

...what does this mean and what can i do to fix it?

Any immediate help would be much appreciated, i have the front bumper off right now

thanks in advance fellas.

EDIT: ok so after doing some more searching, i think the problem is either in "the relay contacts or horn"..... how do i go about solving the relay contact issue?

Yoshiemaster 05-07-2008 03:41 PM

well i did some basic voltometeringnessess and came to the conclusion that my horn is fuxored....

i'll be swingin around the junkyard to pickup a working unit.

CraigW 05-07-2008 03:45 PM

See if you have voltage at the horn... If so the horns coil is open or poor input voltage terminal connection or grounding at the horn. If no voltage present at the horn you will need to trace back from there.

You could also try slightly moving the horn relay while someone holds down the horn button and see if it tries to work.

gearbox 05-07-2008 07:20 PM

is the horn grounded properly? if that bracket is not making good contact, it wont work.

christmaspie 05-07-2008 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4314184)
is the horn grounded properly? if that bracket is not making good contact, it wont work.

X2. Most horns are grounded thru their mount. Very common point of failure.

Yoshiemaster 05-10-2008 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4314125)
See if you have voltage at the horn... If so the horns coil is open or poor input voltage terminal connection or grounding at the horn. If no voltage present at the horn you will need to trace back from there.

You could also try slightly moving the horn relay while someone holds down the horn button and see if it tries to work.

yea i read 12v at the horn, and i didn't think anything else would be at fault so i went ahead and picked up a horn.

ahahaha Gearbox you always have my back when i run into civic problems. The ground was the 3rd thing i checked (first the fuse and relay). I sanded down the the grounding cable and where it connects to the body, that didn't fix it. then i did the same thing with the mounting bracket JUST to make sure.

I called a couple junkyards the other day and found a place that wanted $10 for the horn and i could take it off the car myself. i drove over to this bum****townville junkyard and picked it up (people there were really friendly).

I'm going to be drivin across country next week so i'm getting everything in my car straightened out this week (already got new tires, changed the oil/filter, in the middle of fixing this horn, then i have to change the brakepads and hopefully get some silverstar ultra bulbs). I haven't tried installin the horn yet cuz i'm going to wait till i buy my pads and headlamps so i can just get everything done at once, i'll update later.

thanks guys.