Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird anti-theft system issue, can't drive car. 2010 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OHGHoonhawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird anti-theft system issue, can't drive car. 2010 Honda Civic

Got off work, drove to get something to eat, came back home and my car was working fine. Took a nap and went back to my car, and that's when stuff got weird.

First thing I do when I hop in my car is pop the trunk and hook the remote power switch into my subwoofer amplifier (yes, I wired it myself, but I didn't splice into the ignition switch). Generally, my amp glows blue, but this time it did not. After that, I tried to get in my car using the buttons on my key fob and my car wasn't responding (small red light appeared on key fob, so I assume the battery is fine in it), so I automatically assumed my battery was dead.

I manually unlocked my car, got in, and turned on the engine. The engine will turn on, but my anti-theft system is going crazy. My lights blink, my alarm sounds, I can't take the car out of park, and the weirdest of all; my door locks won't work. Interior lights still work fine.

I'm a mechanic in the Army, but I'm not proficient at my job so I asked a couple of people in my unit to check it out and they have no clue what's going on either.

Does anyone have any idea? I'm stumped.
Old 01-26-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird anti-theft system issue, can't drive car. 2010 Honda Civic

Seems to me like something is shorting out in the alarm system. No actual clue, just speculating.

Side note, to make things easier on you, wire in an in-line switch on your amp power line so you can turn in on from within the car instead of having to pop your trunk every time.

The amp wiring and your current problem could be related, since it seems you're leaving a hot wire loose after you unhook your amp.

Furthermore, you could unhook your alarm system and see if it solves your failure to get out of park problem.
Old 01-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is the alarm factory or aftermarket?
Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Is the alarm factory or aftermarket?
It's a factory alarm.
Old 01-27-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

2010 Honda Civic
Coupe or sedan?
LX, EX, SI, or what?
US or Canada?

and hook the remote power switch into my subwoofer amplifier (yes, I wired it myself, but I didn't splice into the ignition switch).
What do you have this wired to? Did you blow a fuse? (check all 68 fuses in both boxes)
Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Coupe or sedan?
LX, EX, SI, or what?
US or Canada?

What do you have this wired to? Did you blow a fuse? (check all 68 fuses in both boxes)
Sedan, LX, US

I have it wired to a line-output converter behind the stock stereo. Haven't checked all the fuses but I will do that.

Furthermore, I was just looking behind the stereo about 30 minutes ago and found a ground wire that had frayed and fallen off. Not sure what it's to, but I'm gonna hook the ground back up tomorrow when I can find some crimpers. Hopefully that will fix it.
Old 01-27-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Manual unlock of the door should disable alarm.

Try again, and look at your alarm lights status before opening door.
Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Manual unlock of the door should disable alarm.

Try again, and look at your alarm lights status before opening door.
If my key isn't in the ignition, the alarm doesn't go off. It only starts to go off when I try to run my car. The engine will start, but the anti-theft system starts going nuts. I take the key out, and the alarm stops.
Old 01-27-2016

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

.....oh my !!

Well, will try the best possible to help you out.

Is the alarm indicator going off when car is unlocked ??

Alarm only sounds once key turned & attempting to start ?? Or, when key is inserted ??
Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
.....oh my !!

Well, will try the best possible to help you out.

Is the alarm indicator going off when car is unlocked ??

Alarm only sounds once key turned & attempting to start ?? Or, when key is inserted ??
I saw no lights indicating my alarm was active or anything. The alarm sounds when I have the car in the on position and when the engine is on. If i just put the key in but don't turn it, nothing happens.
Old 01-27-2016

Do you get any sign of a green light in cluster depicting a key ??

The alarm indicator is in the upper cluster on the left and is red/orange. (you should close hood, trunk and all doors with car locked and see if it lights)
Old 01-27-2016

I have it wired to a line-output converter behind the stock stereo.
pop the trunk and hook the remote power switch
I meant what is the power source for this amp remote turn on wire, did you blow that fuse?

Also, what does your remote fob look like?
Old 01-27-2016

The remote will be integrated into key and have lock/unlock & panic.