Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2012 Civic Shakes while idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modern Welfare is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Civic Shakes while idle

Hello Civic Forums, I just bought a used 2012 Honda Civic at 56k miles. I love the car and everything is great except for when my car idles in drive. When my car first starts up it idles perfectly normal. After about maybe 10-15 minutes of driving when I get to a stop light my car shakes really bad and I can feel the rough idle. If I put my car in Park or Neutral the rough idle disappears. I have also noticed if my car is idling rough and if I turn on my AC the rough idle will go away. I checked the transmission fluid on the car it looks pretty clean (I think the dealer changed the transmission fluid when the car got sold to them along with the engine oil). I love the car and I'm very happy with it. I just want to solve this issue as it's driving me nuts.

Thank you
Old 11-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Civic Shakes while idle

Have you compared to an identical car with similar mileage?

Is it a real vibration/shake problem, or is it maybe a rattle noise that just happens to be when the engine is at idle?

(My garage door opener rattles loudly at times, it can be annoying.)
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Have you compared to an identical car with similar mileage?
I have not compared it to another car with similar mileage... I'm the only person out off my friends that even own a Honda now. (my friends are big fans of american cars)

Is it a real vibration/shake problem, or is it maybe a rattle noise that just happens to be when the engine is at idle?
It's not really a rattle noise. It shakes my car if my car is at rough idle. If I look at my side view mirrors while its in rough idle I see my mirrors shaking. I can also feel it shaking.

Another thing I forgot to mention my car rpms do not bounce the rpms are steady when it is shaking.
Old 11-16-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It has a 4 cylinder engine, there is always some normal vibration expected at low RPM.
I guess trying to assess the severity of the vibration over the internet is impossible, that's why I mentioned checking against an identical car. (Mirrors shaking sounds rougher than usual though?)

Try your dealers used car lot for an identical car?

My personal car is a 12 Civic LX sedan, but my mileage is quite a bit lower than yours.
Old 11-16-2014
Registered!!

It has a 4 cylinder engine, there is always some normal vibration expected at low RPM.
I guess trying to assess the severity of the vibration over the internet is impossible, that's why I mentioned checking against an identical car. (Mirrors shaking sounds rougher than usual though?)

Try your dealers used car lot for an identical car?

My personal car is a 12 Civic LX sedan, but my mileage is quite a bit lower than yours.
I understand the car will shake. But the rough idle shaking the mirrors was the only issued that concerned me. I guess I will do some more digging around on the internet to see if anyone else had this or a similar problem to this. Thanks for taking your time to try and assist me Ezone.
Old 12-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pnamajck is an unknown quantity at this point

not gonna' help much, mod-welf . . . but when their new 2013 models first came out, test-drove their hf-model. coming right off the lot, in drive (but at standstill), and pavement being on a decline, noticed major vibration also . . . not indicative of any honda i've driven in the past.

after a ten-minute test-drive, returned car . . . told manager at dealership about the vibration . . . he had nothing conclusive to offer. i suggested he should notify honda to see if this is an issue with their new hf-model . . . then told him i'd be back in a year to see if the issue had been resolved.

the major reason for me not buying the car, mod-welf . . . the vibration being the prime deterrent.
Old 01-05-2015
Registered!!

epblowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 2012 Civic Shakes while idle

hi , is your car problem fixed?My 2012 honda civik has same problem .Please let me know what was fix
Old 01-05-2015
Registered!!

epblowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 2012 Civic Shakes while idle

Originally Posted by Modern Welfare
Hello Civic Forums, I just bought a used 2012 Honda Civic at 56k miles. I love the car and everything is great except for when my car idles in drive. When my car first starts up it idles perfectly normal. After about maybe 10-15 minutes of driving when I get to a stop light my car shakes really bad and I can feel the rough idle. If I put my car in Park or Neutral the rough idle disappears. I have also noticed if my car is idling rough and if I turn on my AC the rough idle will go away. I checked the transmission fluid on the car it looks pretty clean (I think the dealer changed the transmission fluid when the car got sold to them along with the engine oil). I love the car and I'm very happy with it. I just want to solve this issue as it's driving me nuts.

Thank you
Hi,
Is your car vibration fixed?could you let me know what is the fix?my car has exact same issue.it is only 26K miles
Old 01-16-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by epblowell
Hi,
Is your car vibration fixed?could you let me know what is the fix?my car has exact same issue.it is only 26K miles
It's not fixed I still do have the vibration issue. I notice if the RPM is raised it is smooth idle. For example if your at a red light with the car stopped turn your steering wheel so your power steering pump starts going... That will raise your RPM and smooth the idle. Also drive with your AC on. The AC Compressor also raises the RPMS so if you want a smooth idle you can choose those 2 options. From what I have been reading Honda's are known for their "Rough Idle" so I'm just gonna try and live with it. I have read that resetting the ECU may fix the problem but I have been too lazy to even try. From what I can see tho the car idles too low, that's why its rough...

If you have any information that would help me with this problem as well it would be appreciated.

If i get my power steering pump going while I'm at a stop light I will see my RPM needle go up just a hair. If I stop my power steering pump(Let go of my wheel), the RPM needle will go down a hair and then the rough idle starts again. it seems like the idle is just off by a hair... I guess...

Last edited by Modern Welfare; 01-16-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

My 2010 (also R18) has had this issue in warm weather for years. If the idle is slightly higher it smooth's out.
Old 01-16-2015

Mine sometimes will quiver while idling at a stoplight......normal IMO.

Now at 15k miles.
Old 01-16-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Not really an issue in cold weather (idle is too high) but when warmer temps hit and it goes back to sipping fuel then you notice it.
Old 11-28-2019
Registered!!

Brady Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Exact same issues with a ‘12 cng civic. Did you guys ever figure this out?

Originally Posted by Modern Welfare
It's not fixed I still do have the vibration issue. I notice if the RPM is raised it is smooth idle. For example if your at a red light with the car stopped turn your steering wheel so your power steering pump starts going... That will raise your RPM and smooth the idle. Also drive with your AC on. The AC Compressor also raises the RPMS so if you want a smooth idle you can choose those 2 options. From what I have been reading Honda's are known for their "Rough Idle" so I'm just gonna try and live with it. I have read that resetting the ECU may fix the problem but I have been too lazy to even try. From what I can see tho the car idles too low, that's why its rough...

If you have any information that would help me with this problem as well it would be appreciated.

If i get my power steering pump going while I'm at a stop light I will see my RPM needle go up just a hair. If I stop my power steering pump(Let go of my wheel), the RPM needle will go down a hair and then the rough idle starts again. it seems like the idle is just off by a hair... I guess...