6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Help! Keyless entry and dome light.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chrisjavier is an unknown quantity at this point
Help! Keyless entry and dome light.

Hi!
I recently bought a 1998 Civic lx and found out the power locks doesn't work. I did some research and discovered that the keyless entry and the dome light "when opening the door" system is in the stock stereo. The car has an aftermarket one. I read that to make the keyless entry work, I have to get a stock stereo. I don't really care about the keyless, but I do care about the power lock and dome light. I there any easy way to fix it?

Note: I don't know much about cars, so any help is welcome

Thanks in advance
Old 02-01-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Help! Keyless entry and dome light.

Keyless was not standard on LX until 7th gen.

Somewhere on the www is a thread were they remove the aftermarket radio and locate the associated dome wiring and somehow jumper/modify it to work.
Old 02-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and found out the power locks doesn't work
This is not a question about keyless entry, right?

This is simply power locks don't work?

Look in the door jamb harness for broken wires at the door connector.

You may need a wiring diagram specific to your car to figure out how to diagnose locks and lighting.
Old 02-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
This is not a question about keyless entry, right?

This is simply power locks don't work?

Look in the door jamb harness for broken wires at the door connector.

You may need a wiring diagram specific to your car to figure out how to diagnose locks and lighting.
I thought the problem with the power locks was because of the keyless entry.
Old 02-01-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjavier
I thought the problem with the power locks was because of the keyless entry.
It would not be a factor if your car is not equipped. Not all were equipped in all areas.
Having power locks does not automatically mean it was equipped with keyless entry too.

Is your car equipped with keyless entry?

Have you removed the non-factory radio to investigate connectors or control units that may still be in the dash? Radio may be connected to a gray connector, but are there 2 more green connectors?
Is there a connector that would have been for the keyless and dome light controls?

It looks like you are not in the continental USA. Was your car originally sold in the USA? Canada? Some other country?
Old 02-01-2015
Registered!!

=

Is your car equipped with keyless entry?

Have you removed the non-factory radio to investigate connectors or control units that may still be in the dash? Radio may be connected to a gray connector, but are there 2 more green connectors?
Is there a connector that would have been for the keyless and dome light controls?

Yes, there are 2 green connectors, one is smaller than the other
I bought it and it had the aftermarket radio already.

It looks like you are not in the continental USA. Was your car originally sold in the USA? Canada? Some other country?
I bought it in Puerto Rico

Last edited by chrisjavier; 02-01-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 02-01-2015

I bought it in Puerto Rico
But was the car built specifically to be sold there, or was it originally sold in another country and then imported?

Yes, there are 2 green connectors, one is smaller than the other
I bought it and it had the aftermarket radio already.
So you don't know if the power locks or dome lights ever worked properly after the non-factory radio was installed?

I'm looking at wiring diagrams for USA cars. If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like the power locks should be able to operate independently without the keyless control unit in place.

There is a power lock control unit in the drivers door. The keyless system would send commands to the power lock control unit, but does not operate the locks directly.

Broken wires in the drivers door jamb is a very common problem. I'd look there first.

For the dome lights issue, I think you can use jumpers to connect some of the circuits in the green plugs to get them to work again. I know this info is on the internet. It may be in this site somewhere too.
Old 02-01-2015
Registered!!

But was the car built specifically to be sold there, or was it originally sold in another country and then imported?

I'm almost certain that is was originally sold here.

So you don't know if the power locks or dome lights ever worked properly after the non-factory radio was installed?

Nope

For the dome lights issue, I think you can use jumpers to connect some of the circuits in the green plugs to get them to work again. I know this info is on the internet. It may be in this site somewhere too.
I did it today and it worked but the "sensor" or whatever that it's called, is not making contact with the door. If I push it with my hand, it will turn OFF the light
Old 02-01-2015

I'm almost certain that is was originally sold here.
I only have access to diagrams for US cars, and I have no way of knowing if your car matches exactly.

it worked but the "sensor" or whatever that it's called, is not making contact with the door. If I push it with my hand, it will turn OFF the light
Sounds like you made good progress!

It's just a plunger style switch in the jamb. Once in a while the plunger (button) breaks, but usually it's something else causing the door to not make sufficient movement of the plunger.

Check: Door striker adjustment, or maybe securing a 'pad' of some sort in the right location on the inside of the door to push on the switch? Some doors had a small round rubber bumper to contact the switch, maybe it is missing?

Compare to the other door, see how it is set up.
Old 02-01-2015
Registered!!

I only have access to diagrams for US cars, and I have no way of knowing if your car matches exactly.
It's probably a US car. I definetely doubt the previous owner bought it outside of the US.

Sounds like you made good progress!
Thanks!

It's just a plunger style switch in the jamb. Once in a while the plunger (button) breaks, but usually it's something else causing the door to not make sufficient movement of the plunger.

Check: Door striker adjustment, or maybe securing a 'pad' of some sort in the right location on the inside of the door to push on the switch? Some doors had a small round rubber bumper to contact the switch, maybe it is missing?

Compare to the other door, see how it is set up.

I noticed that the door has a dent that the passenger door doesn't have(The driver side door is the one that doesn't work). I taped a piece of plastic on the "button" and it's now working fine, but i'm skeptical because if the piece of plastic moves or the tape gives out, the dome light will be ON and it will drain the battery. Any tips on that?
Sorry, but what's a "Door striker adjustment" i'm a total noob lol.
Oh and thanks for all your help so far.
Old 02-01-2015

I noticed that the door has a dent
Sounds like you found the problem, the dent in the door would be sufficient to not push the plunger of the switch correctly.
Once in a while I see cars where the seat belt tongue has dangled and the door was slammed on it denting the door or body.

Remove the door panel and get inside the door to poke/pry the dent out??

if the piece of plastic moves or the tape gives out, the dome light will be ON and it will drain the battery. Any tips on that?
Make your patch job more permanent. Tape will fall apart eventually.

Sorry, but what's a "Door striker adjustment" i'm a total noob lol.
The striker is the metal loop on the body that the door latch engages. Usually held with 2 bolts or screws, its position is slightly adjustable.