7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What happened to my gauge cluster? Is it a dead bulb? Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
What happened to my gauge cluster? Is it a dead bulb? Fuse?

Merry Xmas everyone

Few days ago I noticed in the dead centre of the cluster, its barely bright enough to see at night. As you can see in the video, in the shape of a circle, the centre has gone out (very right of the RPM gauge and 0-60km on the speedometer).

How do I fix this? Have you seen this before? Is it maybe a fuse? I hope its not a big repair.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjwUxqIQGRw[/YOUTUBE]
Old 12-24-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happened to my gauge cluster? Is it a dead bulb? Fuse?

Merry xmas to you too!

Video fail dude. Says 'this video is private'.
Old 12-24-2013
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Sorry, ok now itll work.
Old 12-24-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yours is an 01, right? Looks like bulb(s) have gone out.

Pull the cluster and ohm check each bulb?
Shine a flashlight through the holes and see what lights up?
Old 12-24-2013
I am Epic

Yes 01.

Whats the easiest, simplest way to pull the cluster? Looks like a huge project.

I tried looking up the part number, but no exact centre bulb. The dealer is probably gonna ask for a fortune.
Old 12-24-2013

Better wait until it's warm, cold plastic is super easy to break!

Been a while since I pulled one out.....
Remove the trim pieces as necessary.

Pull your cluster out of the dash, I think 3 screws for that and 2 wire connectors.

Bulbs pop out of the back with maybe a 1/4 turn.
Old 12-25-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Bulb #1 ??

The illumination is possibly a common #74 bulb. Someone mentioned the factory bulb is slightly smaller.
Old 12-25-2013

Bulb #1, looks in the pic like there's 11 holes but the parts listing only says qty 10 ???
Old 12-28-2013
I am Epic

Ill wait til it gets warmer. I just hope im able to get the cluster out. I havent found a DIY yet that doesnt look like a huge project. I dont want any of the dials to get messed up.

Ill pick up the bulb from Honda first so i dont have to do this twice.

So bulb #1?
Old 12-28-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
I havent found a DIY yet that doesnt look like a huge project.
it is what it is. there's no choice, what need be done need be done to get it replaced, no matter how many DIY you look at.
Old 12-28-2013

Ill wait til it gets warmer. I just hope im able to get the cluster out. I havent found a DIY yet that doesnt look like a huge project.
You could pry it out of there right quick

j/k
I dont want any of the dials to get messed up.
The cluster comes out as a single fat unit.

You don't touch the dials. There is no reason for you to split it apart once you have it out.

Ill pick up the bulb from Honda first so i dont have to do this twice.

So bulb #1?
That's what the diagram shows.

You may want to get a bunch of those bulbs. You have at least one out, and the rest are the exact same age. If you only replace a single bulb, guess what will happen a week after you put it back together!
Old 12-29-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Gotta love the prybar method.

Very true on the bulbs, they run hot and get a black buildup inside the glass over time.
Old 12-29-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone

You don't touch the dials. There is no reason for you to split it apart once you have it out.
holy dongies... the... thought of having to disassemble the whole cluster to change bulbs did not even cross my mind... must be the fuses for each light bulb that blew my mind first.
Old 12-29-2013
I am Epic

You could pry it out of there right quick

j/k

That's what the diagram shows.

You may want to get a bunch of those bulbs. You have at least one out, and the rest are the exact same age. If you only replace a single bulb, guess what will happen a week after you put it back together!
How many bulbs are there altogether? And its all #1 size?
Old 12-29-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

How many bulbs are there altogether? And its all #1 size?
There

Originally Posted by CraigW
Bulb #1 ??

The illumination is possibly a common #74 bulb. Someone mentioned the factory bulb is slightly smaller.
Bulb #1, looks in the pic like there's 11 holes but the parts listing only says qty 10 ???
Old 12-29-2013

http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsLi...cal&illid=5792