8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2012 Civic Economy button..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about
2012 Civic Economy button..

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-coupe/features.aspx?Feature=econ-button2

So the new civics come with an econ button. I like it but I wonder what it does. I can't see how it makes the engine itself more efficient, but I bet it will let the transmission shift to a higher gear quicker than otherwise and will cut back the HVAC/climate control and perhaps shut off the heat until the engine is warmed up (who knows). Oh and I heard that it will make the gas pedal heavier.
Other than that, what would the button do?

Last edited by danwat12345; 05-10-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Civic Economy button..

i think it is purely climate control based. changing how the trans shifts would be nice, but i doubt its that complicated. the 2003 hybrid was the first civic to have the econ button. its mostly for hybrids if you want actual econ functionality (like auto stop, less ac use, etc). the "new" econ button is just a way for them to "go green" since thats the current fad these days (remember clear tails in the 90s and "jdm" in the 00s?). its pretty much useless. turning off the ac and fan would be a much better econ button lol.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...n-button-3671/
Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

I wonder if the car will deactivate the alternator while driving/accelerating and then will turn it back on when the car is decelerating so the lead acid battery is charged only from engine braking.. I've heard of 1 manufacture doing this, forgot which. Of course if there's a high load on the battery then it'd have to be on all the time.
Old 05-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yeah! another 2012 related topic! thanks, danwat!
Old 05-10-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

our cars (regular civics 01+) already turn the alternator off when its not needed. the ELD does that (electronic load detector).
Old 05-12-2011
Registered!!

I knew this.. but I was thinking of something more intelligent. The ELD seems to just be an ON or OFF function.. so either the battery is charging at 14.xx volts if the alternator is on and if the ELD has switched the alternator 'off', the battery is tricklishly charging at 12.xx volts.

More intelligent... like monitoring(analyzing(computing!)) the load on the battery and if the load is not significant enough or if not that much discharge time has elapsed, go ahead and keep the alternator asleep until engine braking takes place when the user hits the brake..
A mild mild mild form of regenerative braking on a non-hybrid car.
Old 05-12-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
our cars (regular civics 01+) already turn the alternator off when its not needed. the ELD does that (electronic load detector).
My 1999 Civic has this too
Old 05-13-2011
Registered!!

20twelve is an unknown quantity at this point

I just purchased a 2012 LX Sedan manual and from what I can tell, the changes are noticeable.

Engine power is cut, a noticeable amount. Enough so that it states in the manual that the car may take much longer to accelerate in cruise control with ECO on vs. having it off (normal mode).

It cuts down on engine power, changes transmission settings (Auto only I'm sure), and climate control.

I haven't noticed a real difference in the climate control part of it, it still makes the cabin ice cold on the lowest temp setting, and the fan still operates to full capacity. It also still functions in MAX A/C, so I'm not sure what it changes as far as climate control is concerned.

I'm keeping the car in ECO mode during my break-in period, just so I'm less tempted and also because cars tend to get less than optimal mpg's during break-in.

It still has enough power to move from a stop or pass normally (non butt hole style driving)

I'll be sure to report fuel consumtion/power differences in the future after I'm done with the break-in.
Old 05-13-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ Did you get a real horn on your LX ??

No part #s avail yet.

Need to know, Thanks.
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

20twelve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
^^^ Did you get a real horn on your LX ??

No part #s avail yet.

Need to know, Thanks.
When say "real horn" do you mean a functioning one?
If so, yes it honks when u lock the doors and when you push on the right area of the steering wheel.
Does it sound like they sampled the road runners 'beep beep'? Yes, it isn't the most masculine of tones but it works..and makes me laugh everytime I lock it
Old 05-17-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 20twelve
Does it sound like they sampled the road runners 'beep beep'? Yes, it isn't the most masculine of tones but it works..and makes me laugh everytime I lock it
That answers my question, same crappy junk horn holding on through another generation it appears.

Thanks for answering, congrats on the new car btw. I like the looks of them.
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

That answers my question, same crappy junk horn holding on through another generation it appears.

Thanks for answering, congrats on the new car btw. I like the looks of them.
Train horn ftw. PM me if you want to know more..
Old 05-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

bump to keep this one on the top... had a count of 3 misplaced 6th/7th/8th gen threads just today in the 9th gen forums... siiigh! want to have at the least one thread pertaining to the 2012 on top...
Old 05-19-2011

Originally Posted by danwat12345
Train horn ftw. PM me if you want to know more..
Would love to have an ear drum busting, high db blast behind that bumper for all those wonderful drivers I meet every day...But sadly Honda has incorporated the horn relay inside the fusebox/micu unit on my 8th and I'm scared of adding much more of a current draw (though the Si has 2 horns standard)

The factory horn is a joke.
Old 04-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Update on the ECON button functions (remember this button is now on several other models so these may or may not apply to Civics), and keep in mind that there are some trade-offs as far as acceleration, comfort and convenience:

The happy little green light illuminates, and it may modify:

trans controls, (shift points are lowered)

the electronic throttle,
(reduces throttle opening for a given pedal input, while at less than 80% of WOT. At 80% and greater, you still are receiving the normal full throttle response)

climate control, (compressor cycle time and temps, blower fan speed, recirc operation)

cruise control, (limits acceleration/throttle opening rates when engaged, which may allow more vehicle speed variations esp. on hills)

auto-idle-stop for hybrids
. (widened ambient temp ranges allowed for autostop)
Old 04-14-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Would love to have an ear drum busting, high db blast behind that bumper for all those wonderful drivers I meet every day...But sadly Honda has incorporated the horn relay inside the fusebox/micu unit on my 8th and I'm scared of adding much more of a current draw (though the Si has 2 horns standard)

The factory horn is a joke.
Agree with the factory horn comment, it just sounds sooooo wimpy.

Wire up a regular Bosch style 5 pin relay using the horns wiring as the 85 or 86 input.

Now connect your train horns air valve to it.
Old 04-14-2012
Premium Member

i noticed most "better" hondas and acuras use double horns instead of a single. not sure on the power draw of splicing a second one in, but its an idea.
Old 04-14-2012

Looks like the same relay unit is used for single or double horns (looking at regular and Si Civic wire diagrams) so it shouldn't make any difference.

But if the horn relay goes south, you will be replacing the MICU/fusebox if you can't wire up something else yourself.
Old 05-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pnamajck is an unknown quantity at this point

with regard to . . . 2012-honda-civic-econo . . .
was hoping to see more favorable reviews . . .
not reviews waxed-up by marketers . . .
rather, reviews from we honda veterans / aficionados / purists.

danwat12345 and a few others reflected upon valid topics / concerns.

with regard to . . . seizing / hijacking this thread unto off-topic "horns"
this thread is about the 2012 econo-button . . .
this thread is not about horns . . .
pls stuff your air-horns with expanding foam.

if you feel so compulsed . . .
pls devote a specific thread to "honda horns" . . .
capiche ?

in retrospect . . . i understand we all have passions / volitions . . . cheers.

ummm . . . thanks.
Old 05-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Originally Posted by pnamajck
with regard to . . . 2012-honda-civic-econo . . .
was hoping to see more favorable reviews . . .
not reviews waxed-up by marketers . . .
rather, reviews from we honda veterans / aficionados / purists.

danwat12345 and a few others reflected upon valid topics / concerns.

with regard to . . . seizing / hijacking this thread unto off-topic "horns"
this thread is about the 2012 econo-button . . .
this thread is not about horns . . .
pls stuff your air-horns with expanding foam.

if you feel so compulsed . . .
pls devote a specific thread to "honda horns" . . .
capiche ?

in retrospect . . . i understand we all have passions / volitions . . . cheers.

ummm . . . thanks.
Um...nobody else was contributing anything about the original topic, what's the issue here?
It's not like there are 5 pages of posts and you can't find any of the ones about the econ button because of the horn posts, there is only 1 page and only the last couple of posts are about horns...and are a month old
Chillax dude...
Old 06-16-2012
Registered!!

Lor71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the eco explanation, my 06 is in the shop again for the 3rd time in a week ( axle & leaking, accelerating decelerating ugh Ill try & find another thread about that)
Honda gave me the new 2012 as a loaner very nice, theres no book & was wondering how that eco worked.
Old 06-23-2012
2012 Civic

Guardian7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just bought a 2012 Civic LX and turning on ECON button really made a big difference on the freeway with cruise control set at 70mph, the mileage computer averaged 48.5 mpg on a 130 mile round trip to Los Angeles and back! We now have a 1000 miles on the car with only two tanks of gas and each fill it took 10gal, the tank is 13gal but the car seems to alert it needs gas way sooner. Around town the car is averaging 33-35 mpg with ECON turned on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-28 11.36.21.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	83577  

Last edited by Guardian7; 06-23-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2013
Registered!!

em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point

Despite my username, I swapped my EM2 for a 2012 EX with an AT. My honest opinion regarding the Econ button is this: every driver needs to experiment with the system and do the math. In my case, I actually get more MPGs with Econ OFF. It has a lot to do with how your drive, and also where.

I live in Hawaii (Honolulu, Oahu), and our roads here, including our freeways, follow the inclines and declines in the terrain of the island, which can be fairly sudden and steep. We have short on-ramps and drivers that don't understand the rule of "slower traffic keep right." Not to mention that traffic itself can get pretty bad. I can see how the Econ button could help in heavy traffic situations, but where I live, traffic flow is sporadic. It can go from grid-lock, to 60+ MPH speeds, and then back to grid-lock in less than 5 minutes or in little as a half-mile.

Because Econ mode reduces throttle response and quickens up-shifts, you can begin to see how quick spurts of acceleration and steady up-hill climbs can be problematic. When I keep Econ ON, the fuel economy lights (green and blue bars) remain dark-blue for most of my trip as the trans holds the highest gear and the engine strains to pull under low rpms. Giving it more gas does little until you reach the 3/4 throttle or more position, at which point the trans downshifts violently and the engine revs its nuts off (which, in my opinion, sounds pretty counter-productive to saving fuel).

So test the system first and do the math.

Results:

Econ ON: From F to Low Fuel Warning Indicator ON: 25.5 mpg or 289 miles per tank.

Econ OFF: From F to Low Fuel Warning Indicator ON: 28.2 mpg or 307 miles per tank.