Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Got some tickets, looking for advice.

Old 10-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Got some tickets, looking for advice.

I received tickets for following too closely, failure to signal and improper lane movement. Let me explain what happened. I was turning right at a stop light with two separate turn lanes, I was in the outer lane and maintained my lane throughout the turn. A driver in the other turn lane cut into my lane while turning. To avoid hitting them I swerved around them into the adjacent lane. There were no other cars around so I have no idea where the following too closely came from and the officer did not want to talk. What I am wondering is what you would do if you were in this situation. Pay the tickets? Take it to court? Should I get a lawyer? Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-31-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Got some tickets, looking for advice.

I'd take it to court and explain what happened. Chances are, the cop may not even show up, so it may get thrown out
Old 10-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Try a trial by written declaration first then if you loose that request a new court date. Ticketassassin is your friend. Go read up.
Old 10-31-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies, and especially thanks for ticketassassin.
Old 10-31-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

If you ever believe you were not wrong, fight it

You dont need a lawyer for traffic tickets

What's the worse that can happen? You pay the same amount if u lose anyways

Go explain your case in front of the judge, he might be sympathetic, or officer might not show and just dismiss the case
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

After a month of trying to get ahold of someone to find out the procedures of a trial by written declaration I was told it was not available in my state. I live in Indiana and all the information on the internet points to it being allowed under state law in Indiana. Does anyone have any advice?
Old 12-06-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just go to court and explain. it will prolly get thrown out.
Old 07-07-2011
Registered!!

Update since I haven't been on here for awhile. I went to court. When I stated that I wanted to contest the ticket the judge told me I would be fined more money if found guilty, for wasting the courts time. I ended up paying them just to get it done and over with, but that just seems wrong and I'm fairly positive it is illegal to impose stiffer fines for someone who contests something.
Old 07-07-2011
Registered!!

Xuxxrunxx is an unknown quantity at this point

take a picture of the intersection the ticket was from so the see what u r talking about when u explain
Old 07-07-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iridehonda
Update since I haven't been on here for awhile. I went to court. When I stated that I wanted to contest the ticket the judge told me I would be fined more money if found guilty, for wasting the courts time. I ended up paying them just to get it done and over with, but that just seems wrong and I'm fairly positive it is illegal to impose stiffer fines for someone who contests something.
Where are you located?
That is some bull

If they find you guilty, you will pay the original fine + small court fees (you will pay it no matter what if you go to the arraignment)
If they dismiss the case, then you don't have to pay a dime

What kind of judge is that?
Makes me want to slap him =.=
Punishment must fit the crime,
Last time I checked, wasting court time is not a crime, in fact, we pay for it.
Old 07-07-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, it's a constitutional right, a fair trial, no? And that's his job? wtf?

yea, you got intimidated into paying the fine.
Old 07-29-2013
Registered!!

Fasteasylaw.com should not be trustedFasteasylaw.com should not be trusted

I hear that