Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Legal lights and tint in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drknite is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Legal lights and tint in Canada

I am trying to find out for sure what is legal with under glow in Ontario.
I have red led under glow with no light through the front as well as my bulbs are not visable.
Is it legal to drive with them on? And if so is there anything in writing that will prove this?
Also I have tint on my windshield at the bottom as well as the top. Nothing is obstructive and it is not much. The company that put it on said it was legal bacause there is a 35cm viewing area from top tp bottom, is this the case and if so where can I find this in writing? I have read the tint laws and I do not see anything that talks about the lower part of the windshield.
Old 06-01-2005
Registered!!

01_Civic_Lx is an unknown quantity at this point
Being from Toronto.... I know it can be tricky to be sure exactly what is legal and what is not. As hard as it is I think it is best for you to just call up the OPP or municipal police office in you area.... I am not sure where in Ontario you are from.

But the police can let you know exactly what is and isn't legal and what the specifications are... Man I am weary about trusting ppl in shops about what is legal...
I got slapped with a $150.00 ticket once for some lighting things that I was told were "legal"....

JUST MY ADVICE BUT I WANT YOU TO BE SAFE ABOUT THINGS AND NOT GET A TICKET
Old 06-02-2005
Registered!!

Drknite is an unknown quantity at this point
I talked to an OPP, actually the sargent, and this is what he said:

"He would not waste his time on underglow but UNFORTUNATLY some officers make an issue of it."
Also
"I have read the HTA about the matter and unless your bulbs can be seen, especially through the front, and if they flash you are not legal, if not I do not see how there is a problem unless your lights are causing a distraction to other drivers."

This is the grey area; his definition of a distraction when it came to under glow would be if you could see it shining out directly from the car. I mentioned to him that mine were completley out of site and he said, "I don't see an issue then" BUT "It is up to the officers discression"

He even mentioned to me that his son has under glow as well.

Sooooo I guess it really comes down to the cop, is he a h8tr? Then you will probably get stopped....