Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

nitrous in canada?

Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rude_d17a1 is an unknown quantity at this point
nitrous in canada?

Several people lately have tried to tell me that nitrous is illegal to use in canada....... i was under the impression that it was totaly fine, any canadians using it or anyone know for sure?
Old 03-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Narc is an unknown quantity at this point
I frequently get asked about the legality of the use of nitrous in Ontario and unfortunately I can't seem to get a concrete answer from my friends in the Traffic Unit.

Heres what I do know. There is NO specific section in the Highway Traffic Act that deals with the use or installation of a nitrous kit. I have heard of people getting charged under the HAZMAT for transporting a compressed flamable gas without a licence.

In talking to a member of the Major Collisions Bureau in Peel, its been brought to my attention that if in the event of a collision, a vehicle equiped with a nitrous kit may be seized and examined to determine if the nitrous was used prior to impact. In this situation, a criminal charge of criminal negligence (causing bodily harm or death) may be laid against the driver.

There may also be an applicable charge under the Enviroment Protection Act.

If you asked me what I would do as an officer in the event that I conducted a traffic stop and found a car equipped with a kit, I would probably just contact the persons insurance company and let them know, thus making their policy cancelled.
Old 03-08-2004
Registered!!

If one wanted to install the kit for show, do you think it would be a problem if they had the bottle empty with a guage to veryfiy this? what if the system was installed with no bottle?
I really appreciate your input, as i dont want to do any illegal mods to my car, i have a great driving record, and have a lot so lose if insurance drops me for something like this

edit: also where would i be able to look this up? should i contact both the local police and my insurance?
Old 03-08-2004
Registered!!

Before you call your insurance company asking about installing a nitros kit, I recomend you read my "important insurance info" post and call the number and ask a representative.

I dont really see how driving around without the bottle or if the bottle is empty would be illigal. But never the less, you run the risk of insurance problems.

Let us know what you learn or what you decide to do.
Eddy.
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

I called the Insurance Bureau of Canada (1-800-387-2880 thanks nark) and they said that i need to call my insurance and see what they say....... but the jist of it is that you should tell them what you intend to use it for. Aparently there should be nothing wrong with having an empty bottle for show purposes..........since most policies wont allow you to do any racing whatsoever even(/especialy?) on a track
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
this is my 2 cents. You are allowed to have the bottle installed in your car but it cannot be connected nor pressurized. I do not see how you can get charged for transporting a flammable gas since N2O is not flammable, it is an oxidizer. Just to bring this to a hault, you can have your bottle for show
Old 03-17-2004
Need....More....Mods

02civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Narc If you asked me what I would do as an officer in the event that I conducted a traffic stop and found a car equipped with a kit, I would probably just contact the persons insurance company and let them know, thus making their policy cancelled. [/B]

Well if the nitrous is in the trunk, i couldnt think of any reason that an officer would have to look back there. You and I know they cant just look around unless permission is given. I'm curious to know what kind of scenerios you think could arise when an officer would have the opportunity to check out the trunk, or under the hood?
Old 03-18-2004
Registered!!

well i dont know, theres a good chance that it will never come up i guess, but i would prefer to keep everything legal
Old 03-20-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by 02civic
Well if the nitrous is in the trunk, i couldnt think of any reason that an officer would have to look back there. You and I know they cant just look around unless permission is given. I'm curious to know what kind of scenerios you think could arise when an officer would have the opportunity to check out the trunk, or under the hood?
ok, well if I stopped a car and saw things that suggested that the car was equipped with a nitros kit, or any other aftermarket performance modification, by authority under the highway traffic act, I would conduct a vehicle inspection. If I formed the opinion that the vehicle was equipped with a nitros kit, I would most certainly check the trunk for a nitrous bottle, as that is where it is most commonly located.

Please understand that I am not trying to engage in an argument with you, Im simply shedding light on how I would end up looking under your hood or in your trunk. If I really cared to.
Old 03-20-2004
Registered!!

well insurance just sent me a letter and there was a friendly reminder that adding anything thats not a factory option that modifies the way the vehicle perfoms (ie. suspension mods, some body kits, and nitrous specificaly) will void the policy so i guess no nitrous for me.
Another topic came up today NARC, are speed traps never set up in the rain because you guys dont wanna get wet or is it because radars are not accurate in the rain?

Last edited by rude_d17a1; 03-20-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

Donuts melt in the rain!
Old 03-22-2004
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted
Originally posted by Narc
Donuts melt in the rain!
I love it, a cop with a sense of humor ....

As far a nitrious in a car, and the insurance perspective, I'm a former auto adjuster, i'm a Litigation adjuster in ontario now, and Nitrious in the eyes of an insurance company is a big no no ... I had claims where guys just set up a can in their trunk for show, and had an accident ... The apprasier went out to view the car and saw this tank and immidiatley called me to notify underwriting to cancel the policy ... I went and saw the car as well and realized that the tank was not hooked up, but the first thing a company thinks with nitrious is racing which is a major policy violation ......I wouldn't chance it, even an empty tank ...
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

so radars are 100% accurate in the rain, damn?
ok, i also have never seen them at night, is that cause its hard to identify cars in the dark or is it cause its hard to see the donut and you might bite your finger? j/k btw
Old 03-31-2004
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
im pretty sure its effective. i just got back from school and saw a cop on the 400 using radar so im guessing its effective.. bleh....
Old 03-05-2013
Registered!!

1smokey7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: nitrous in canada?

From what I know, having nos in your car is not illegal...But it cannot be 100% hooked up. So if your driving and get pulled over and checked as long as it isnt hooked up all the way and their is no way you can hook it up from inside your car then you are good, regardless if you have a full tank or not.