Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

What can I do about crappy lawyer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
What can I do about crappy lawyer?

I have an assault charge against me that I have been going to court for since Nov. of 2002, and at the beginning I got a court oppointed lawyer because I didnt have enough money. Every month that I went my lawyer either wouldnt show up or have my case reset. Last month he told me they wanted to offer me probation for 1 yr and 60 hours of community service and a 100 fine. I dont want it because I just got off of probation from a incident with the same girl and paid over $500 in fines and 100 hours of community service. Now last month I had the case set for trial, which will be on Dec. 16, 2003 because I believe I am not guilty. On friday I had a pre-trial conference in which the DA was going to offer me a fine only but my lawyer never showed up. When I go to trial tuesday, can I request the DA or Judge to give me a new laywer and have the case reset. I have never really discussed my case with this lawyer ever. This guy sucks.
Old 12-15-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Narc is an unknown quantity at this point
Im pretty sure that if you attend court on your next court date and intend on entering into a plea, you should be able to get a court appointed lawyer for that. Contact the courthouse to be sure.

As for "crappy lawyer", is there any other kind?
Old 12-15-2003
7thgens other Official Five O'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AZ2K1Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive seen this happen before...good state appointed attorneys are far and few between. You can request a change for counsel and then the judge will have you explain why you need it...he may or may not grant it. You're gonna have to waive time limitations though (meaning it wont be a 'speedy' process).

As for "crappy lawyer", is there any other kind?
NO
Old 12-15-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
what do you mean by it wont be a speedy process.
Old 12-15-2003

You have the right to a speedy trial according to the amendments, meaning the courts only have so many days to finish your case....if you want another attorney its going to interfere with the time limits
Old 12-15-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
In other words you wont have to worry about it for a little bit longer
Old 12-15-2003

um, I think you mean that the case will take a little longer than initially expected.