A leaky trunk?!?!??!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scooby5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A leaky trunk?!?!??!

I have been looking for that service bulletin! Not sure where you found it but thanks so much for sharing as it was very helpful! I found my leak by crawling in the trunk with a flashlight. Ha ha. Now I just have to apply the sealant.
Old 06-17-2015
Registered!!

dkalleck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ctx66
heres something to check. my trunk started leaking recently for no reason, out of nowhere. i hadnt been in an accident, my weatherstripping around the trunk looked perfect, i had no idea what could cause it. so i lower the trunk latch to try and create a tighter seal. no luck, the trunk still flooded. so i went exploring, and found this. its the trunk air vent. the picture is of my new air vent, i threw away the old one. bascially, theres 4 clips that hold it in place. on my old one, the top two clips were broken and it did not seal properly. it had sand all over it, and the area around it was wet so im betting this is what caused it for me, the guys at honda agreed when i showed them my old one that i was replacing. its right next to the fuel door, and is very easy to replace. push it out towards the outside of the car, push it down and it will fall below onto the ground. push the other one up the same way it went down, and youre set. oh yeah, i have an '03 ex coupe.
'
Where did you buy the new vent?
Old 06-17-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...VIN+Number+---

Likely have get it from dealer, shipping will double the cost.

Make sure of the correct # for year and body style.
Old 10-23-2015
Registered!!

JesseC is an unknown quantity at this point

We have an '04 Civic "value package" that we've seen leaks in, but never took the time to find where. However, on my last oil change (at the dealership) they washed our Civic when I asked them not to wash it, and had even checked the "don't wash". It was also raining that day, and I had washed/waxed it the day before.

The next day we went for groceries, it was still raining. We opened the trunk to get a few bags and saw soapy water all on the felt, and there was a pool of water in the spare tire well (if one can call that a true spare).

When it got nice out again, we took it to a self-wash car wash, and found the leak. Mind you, I used the hard pressure of rinse and sprayed even under the rear-end and the trunk. It was on the right side right at the corner. Now, how so much water leak through that little place is beyond me.

I used indoor/outdoor caulking to stop the leak. I pried the weather-stripping up just enough to get it in there. And it works quite well too. No. More. Leak.

And when I got a call from the dealership, they claimed the spray from their wash isn't as hard as the self wash. But no matter. There's been too much "drama" there just for an oil change.

They changed to some kind of Pennzoil Synthetic without my permission or knowledge. And now I HAVE to keep using it. They continually "forget" to clean where the oil drained, and are nearly clueless as to what's under the hood and how to determine what needs what.

My 80k "preventative maintenance" came up (yes, 80,000 miles on an 11-year old car), we took it elsewhere. And I'll take it there for my next oil change.

For what it's worth, I have Blackhawk and Craftsman tools, ramps, jack-stands and air-tools that are over 25-years old. I'd do my own work, but we live where I can't...yet.
Old 10-23-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for update !

I despise that damn "car wash" !! It is anything but that.