Never Realised How Much Stock Tires Suck...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Never Realised How Much Stock Tires Suck...

My stock Firestone tires finally bit the dust today, I'd driven them down to the wear bars and one of the rear ones finally sprung a leak. Consequently, I took them in to have them replaced and tried to find a cheap pair as I'll be getting rid of the Civic in about a month. Couldn't find anything cheap, so I settled for a pair of BF Goodrich Traction T/As, man, its like day and night, the car doesn't make terrible screeching sounds when cornering too fast, road noise has been reduced by at least half and traction over gravel/wet surfaces/snow is ten times improved.

I really have trouble believing that Honda could put such a crap stock tire on a Civic. If I'm not mistaken, don't the new Civics come with different tires, I haven't had time to stay updated as to OEM equipment on the new Vics...

But yeah, giant disapointment, crappy performance and the day my car passed 50,000km (present odo. reading: 50, 214km) they died.
Old 11-07-2004
Bushido

MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
There are a few newer model Civics that still come with Firestone tires. I found that out when I was at Yellowhead Honda. The newer Civics also come with Bridgestone tires, as for what brand I forgot.

I still have my original Firestone tires from when I bought the Civic 3 years ago and they still have a lot of meat on them. I use them for my daily driving tires in the summer. As of right now the Civic has just over 50,000 km and believe it or not the tires are still good, probally another summer left before they hit the Eco station for recylcling. When I race I have a set of Falken Azenis, once you switch over it is a world of difference, I can take corners at 80+ kph with great stability. The tires stick like glue to the pavement.

As for the quality of the Firestone tires, I think they are allright. Just decent enough for daily driving and pretty much nothing else. I raced on them last year and like you said they do suck. I would not reccomend it, but for daily driving they are passable at the least.

One thing for sure they really do suck in the winter. People with these tires are much better off with some Winter tires.
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

Blown is an unknown quantity at this point
Most expensive costing part for an automobile company is the tires since they can't manufacture them themselves. So, that's why the cheap tires.

My firestones barely lasted 30K KM. They were not the worst tires out there(I have had some bad tires!) but they definitly are not the best.
Old 11-08-2004
GODLIKE

ASIANPRIDE is an unknown quantity at this point
Hahaha and you just realized now that OEM tires that came with the car are crap....Man the day I bought my car...I couldn't drive up a hill that was covered in snow...I kept slidding backwards...
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

Blown is an unknown quantity at this point
Nah, crap is generic walmart or CT tires... Firestones are average to below-average.
Old 11-08-2004
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
the new civics have bridgestone ponteza's. man my car is so dirty now looks like i went driving through a mud field. I hate gravel roads.
Old 11-08-2004
Bushido

MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
agreed with blown.