Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Boostin.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011
Young gun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valvebreaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Boostin.

Please dont flame me for this just posting as something to chat about. but thinking about boostin the d17a2 at 8psi and just doing arp studs and a fuel management system nothing else (besides the turbo parts). Just doing it to add a little power so im not getting walked by every car on the market and every chick loves the sound of blow off any thoughts on this ruining the motor down the road or anything?
Old 04-26-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boostin.

you should be fine.

larger injectors, a good FMU, and arp headstuds should do you well

a walboro 255lph fuel pump wouldn't hurt either
Old 04-26-2011
Young gun

I let a walboro 255 slip through my fingers today.. wasnt thinking about uping my fuel pressure >< he wanted 15$ for it... =(
Old 04-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I like how hesitant you are about making this thread.

If your going to go with a decent turbo set-up and you want to run reliably you have one option for engine management, k-pro. AEM FIC, which is what I suspect your considering, isn't versatile enough to run boost reliably or give significant gains. If you assembled or bought a used turbo-kit you could probably get it on the road and tuned for $3500-4000. Any less and your cutting corners and putting your engine at risk, and that feeling when you come out one morning and just hear a click isn't a good one.

If you looking to do something on a budget drop in a stage 1 cam and remember that once you hit the corners you'll take most other cars.
Old 04-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

heh!
You just changed all your valves and already going for turbo
But you seem to know what you usually doing except for keeping your valves away from the pistons (sorry, Josh, got you in the backlash, sorry, valvebreaker, couldn't resist to put this in)
Listen to riceboy and mindbomber, they know about this stuff and you should be OK, valvebreaker!

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-27-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-27-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard stock internals are good for up to 8psi. I've only experimented with really low boost due to a wastegate problem, and I did it the cheapest (worst.. lol) way possible..

Since then I've done a bit of homework on boost, but lack the financial backing to try it again.. haa

edit: if you don't know by now, dezod.com and thmotorsports.com are good places to shop. thmotorsports gives free shipping on most orders over $100, and they have a returning customer discount thing, too.

Dezod carries a bunch of nice stuff, with what used to be a very extensive section on 7thgen boosting until they moved on, but their shipping prices kinda suck
Old 04-27-2011
Young gun

Id rather spend the 3500 to 4000 over a years time and do it all correctly with a good turbo and k-pro then do what im planing and come out to a click.. dropping my new engine in tomorrow after the whole ordeal of ruining a engine i dont want to do that again lol. Now getting a good turbo(greddy,turbonetics,etc) k-pro, walboro 255, injectors,and arp studs, would you say the stock internals would be ok to run 8psi with the fuel system staying return-less and the intake many being plastic? I know these questions have been asked a million times again and again but thought i would ask sense we are on the subject.
Old 04-27-2011
Young gun

@sdaidoji i wish it was just valves i had to replace xD the cylinder walls have deep scars, head had 2 holes in it and 3 valves welded in it and i still have yet to find one of the ends to a exhaust valve that broke off lol.. its hiding in the huge paper weight in my garage.
Old 04-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The stock internals should be able to handle 8 psi without much trouble. I would modify a d16y8 intake manifold as part of your turbo build, it's not that expensive, just labour intensive.

I wish I could find DIY, I want to make one .
Old 04-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Valvebreaker
@sdaidoji i wish it was just valves i had to replace xD the cylinder walls have deep scars, head had 2 holes in it and 3 valves welded in it and i still have yet to find one of the ends to a exhaust valve that broke off lol.. its hiding in the huge paper weight in my garage.
oooouchie!
Old 04-27-2011
Young gun

Il try and see if i can find a flange to fit my head then get a d16many and see if i can do a diy on it but then again im not to sure how many people on this forum have the ability to tig weld.
Old 04-27-2011
Administrator
Administrator

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...fold-swap.html

pics don't work though
Old 04-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I don't think many people here are able to tig weld, I can and I have a friend who lets me use his welder in exchange for beer, but the average member could just pay a shop an hours labour to do that part.

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Yeah, I've seen that, I'm to much of a visual learner for a write-up with dead pics though.

Last edited by MindBomber; 04-27-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2011
Young gun

^^^ thats how things should be.. i weld you gimmie beer
Old 04-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

here let me fill some wholes.

1. the stock mani being plastic does not effect anything you can run it all day long at 25psi and not have any problems

2. go k-pro or go home with a broken car

3. 6+ psi needs ARP head studs 10+ psi needs a map sensor 12+ psi needs ARP rod bolts and anything higher than 14-15 psi go fully built bottom end

4. walboro is not needed till around 275-287 hp at the wheels

5. return setup is helpful for big boost but as long as you have big enough injectors you really don't need to worry I'm running 750cc with NO return setup and my injector duty at 17.5 psi is about 32
Old 04-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

woops, big guns in the room. I will quiet down and just listen, when ^ paul speaks, i listen.
Old 04-28-2011
Young gun

wish we could sticky boomers post.. lol answers alot of some what technical advanced members questions on doing simple boost projects instead of go big or go home. "update on the civic" installed the new motor today fired right up but blew white smoke and had a stream of oil coming from the crank seal. New head gasket and crank seal and she should be back on the road within a couple days.
Old 04-28-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Valvebreaker
wish we could sticky boomers post.. lol answers alot of some what technical advanced members questions on doing simple boost projects instead of go big or go home. "update on the civic" installed the new motor today fired right up but blew white smoke and had a stream of oil coming from the crank seal. New head gasket and crank seal and she should be back on the road within a couple days.
I just added it to the 7thgen turbo FAQ
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

LoL I find it funny when I post over here
Old 04-28-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

lol

Boosting d17s is a a slight knowledge gap for us, but we're not that bad. Honda-Tech is horrible for 7th gens.
Old 04-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by bomerman19
LoL I find it funny when I post over here
I can say you do know what you talking about, from what i read so far... So i do shut up when you talk about engines...
And yeah, i read yours and brian's threads as well... being the reason i do respect you guys. (if i find soemthing wrong, i will speakup, though, as another gearhead )

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-28-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

LUM83R J4CK32 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this isn't about boosting but it's along the same lines. I am planning on swapping a jdm b18c for the stock engine in my 97 four door. I was just trying to find some reliable shop in the Chicago or Indianapolis area. Just wanted to know what guys would recommend.

Last edited by LUM83R J4CK32; 04-28-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 04-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

your question does not have anything to do with original subject... create your own thread, maybe on the regional forums...
That is not even under thread jacking if it does not relate slightly to the original subject...
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I can say you do know what you talking about, from what i read so far... So i do shut up when you talk about engines...
And yeah, i read yours and brian's threads as well... being the reason i do respect you guys. (if i find soemthing wrong, i will speakup, though, as another gearhead )
yeah well I think I have hit that point were I have done more with the 7thgen than anyone else including andy just keep your eyes peeled this summer
Old 04-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Oh, god, what you planning to do now?!? Don't say, i will look at it later on.

PS: thanks for the good advice and ideas you got me previously
Old 04-28-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by bomerman19
yeah well I think I have hit that point were I have done more with the 7thgen than anyone else including andy just keep your eyes peeled this summer
RHD Conversion?
Old 04-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindBomber
RHD Conversion?
Mis-typing!
Old 04-29-2011
Young gun

Update on the civic... For sale. replaced the the crank seal it stoped the leak, replaced the head gasket and timing belt she fired right up but she hit full temp in about 45sec of running and was blowing white smoke again, so my best guess is water pump is bad and she ruined another head gasket...
Old 04-29-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Your so close to getting it running, that does sound like a bad water pump.
Old 04-29-2011
Young gun

I have a feelings once i get her running something else will give lol like my suspension or radio just because thats how em2s work right? Em2= Evil Motor 2 =D ahaha lack of sleep makes stupid things kinda funny