Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

HELP! Can i mini-me a D17A2 head into D17A1 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ddrymkiew is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HELP! Can i mini-me a D17A2 head into D17A1 engine?

Hey, I've seen some people post info about how they've done a mini-me swap for the A2 head with VTech, and I was wondering what is necessary for this swap? relatively new here, so I need some advise, and at the same time, how do you make sure the Vtech engages, my friend told me the wiring harness in my engine may not come capable of engaging the Vtech... is this true? Because I haven't been able to find any aftermarket camshafts for the A1, i figured that if this works, I can get the Crower stage 2 shafts...if this works. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-14-2008
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HELP! Can i mini-me a D17A2 head into D17A1 engine?

its VTEC...
Old 02-14-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

yes it can be done, your stock harness does not support vtec, you will need to wire it in and find a way to control it. dropping the head on, putting a cam in it and using a vafc seems to be the easiest way to do it.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by skipbarber
yes it can be done, your stock harness does not support vtec, you will need to wire it in and find a way to control it. dropping the head on, putting a cam in it and using a vafc seems to be the easiest way to do it.

Hate to sound like a dumba$$ but can you spell that all out? Like I said i'm new to all this, and I don't get the shorthand for most of it, also, can you include companies that make stuff (ie: would Greddy's e-manage work for this?) its relatively cheap, what would I need?
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

SPUNKYcivy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically, you will need a new computer for your car, since VTEC is all about the computer managing when to kick it in.
There are many companies that make a computer for our cars.
1. K pro
2. AEM
3. Greddy
These computers are capable of doing many things, managing air and fuel, ignition, etc..

Do a search on the site for it, youll find something.

Don't flame. If Im wrong, please correct me. Thanks
Old 02-14-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

K-Pro would be the most expensive head swap ever.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SPUNKYcivy01
Basically, you will need a new computer for your car, since VTEC is all about the computer managing when to kick it in.
There are many companies that make a computer for our cars.
1. K pro
2. AEM
3. Greddy
These computers are capable of doing many things, managing air and fuel, ignition, etc..

Do a search on the site for it, youll find something.

Don't flame. If Im wrong, please correct me. Thanks

Thanks, i think i'll be prolly going with the Greddy or A'PEXi computers, as they're hell cheap in comparison to the rest. Does anyone have DIYs or info on what i need to get besides the head and comp and how i would install all this/ how much time/effort it would take, and what I would gain from it (besides the obvious)?
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

This thread is the PRIME example of why you need to search. I am not going to say to not ask questions, we all want to learn but please please use the resources provided! The short answer to your question is yes. I am doing the same thing right now, ex head with a stage 2 cam with springs and retainers.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ddrymkiew
Hate to sound like a dumba$$ but can you spell that all out? Like I said i'm new to all this, and I don't get the shorthand for most of it, also, can you include companies that make stuff (ie: would Greddy's e-manage work for this?) its relatively cheap, what would I need?
Any of the piggy backs that have a vtec controller would work. If you have future plans with the car then go with something like emanage or AEM FIC.

These are just my opinions based on what I am currently doing.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i got emanage. dont get it lol. AEM FIC>emanagle
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

That is what I have heard for the most part, which is why I am getting the FIC. At 400 dollars it isn't that bad of a deal either.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to do a head swap then you can get by with a VAFC but if you want to drop in a crower stage 2 cam you really should go with a K-pro, AEM FIC, or you can get by with an emanagle.

Most people who have used the k-pro love it is probably by far the easiest to use, AEM from what I hear is really nice not as user friendly as the k-pro, but still does a great job I haven't heard of too many problems with it. And the greddy e-manage well it will fight you every step of the way, which becomes real old real fast.

If you drop in a stage 1 cam you can get by just on a apexi VAFC, and you don't have to replace the valve springs. If you go stage 2 you HAVE to stick in the uprated valve springs.

and by now you have probably have heard this from rest of the members on the forum but use the search button, I promise it doesn't bite! lol and it will give you all the answers and then some, and if it doesn't well then by that time it doesn't hurt to ask
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

SPUNKYcivy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rufus
K-Pro would be the most expensive head swap ever.
This is true
Old 02-14-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

im interested in the results with the stage 2 cam. someone should review and maybe dyno it when theyre done.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

The reviews are out there. The cam makes power with supporting mods/ecu upgrades. There are positives and negatives to having the stage 2 but if you are looking for cheap power don't go stage 2 get the stage 1.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

I got the stage 2 and springs retainers for 250....thats cheap power lol.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you got a great deal but you'll see the dollars will rack up quickly. Install of cam/spring/retainers. Fuel management costs plus tuning. And the cam is worthless without a good i/h/e setup. I recommend ditching the catalytic converter if you want to extract all the power you can.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

I am installing the cam/springs/retainers. Fuel management and tuning and head install if i get lazy is where the money is going. I'm not the type to do it all in one shot so it wont hurt so much.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

Thats cool, good luck man keep us posted on your results and installations.
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

Will do when I get it put in. They have a dynojet there so I will give numbers and all, even though I am pretty sure there are already numbers on here.