Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Too many miles to turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Too many miles to turbo?

How many miles on an engine is too many miles to turbo? I have 70k on my motor right now, and I'm guessing I'll have 90 thousand miles on the tach by the time my poor *** is ready to buy a turbo kit. Is this really an issue? If everything is running perfect from the get go I shouldn't really have any problems right? Any and all input is perfect, thanks!
Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

aznprid214 has a spectacular aura aboutaznprid214 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Too many miles to turbo?

good question, i've had the same thought too! still wondering if I should just turbo the stock motor if it has already had a lot of miles and just play with it till it gives out and have a spare D17 on the side that I can rebuild... so many options...
Old 08-19-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Just get a leakdown test before you commit to buying a turbo setup. That will highlight any problem areas in the compression of the engine before you start taxing it with a turbo.

Other than that, keep up with all your maintenance - make sure you have replaced all your belts at that point (timing, PS, and alt/AC) and you'll probably be fine. If you're only planning on mild levels of boost (6-7 psi) I wouldn't worry about it. The trick is regular maintenance to keep the engine healthy enough to withstand the boost.
Old 08-19-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I wouldn't imagine that I would be boosting any more then 10 at max, daily driven at like 6 or whatever.
Old 08-20-2007
7th Gen Photographer

LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light

I have it turboed at 72k miles... but I rebuilt everything so it's really only 6k miles.
Old 08-27-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Hm, well that's cool and everything, but I talking about just turboing an engine that's completly stock, at a higher mileage. I wonder.....
Old 08-30-2007
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough

never too late. all depends on the condition on ur engine. my friend just turbo'd his (rather mint aswell) 550,000kms 92 accord. as for me, i turbo'd my d17(non vtec) @ 95,000kms. its at 105ish now. but i bought a d17(vtec) engine, with 120,000kms, that i will boost, but not before turbo internals, aswell as a new transmission

and for all you people that say you will keep it at "low" boost. i call bs. i used to b like that, knowing i would just be satisfied with finaly a turbo'd vehicle. any psi would be a good psi, as long as my car was faster than stock

then a few months later, reality kicks in, your addicted and you want more. so it will never stop at just 5 or 6 psi, trust me

Last edited by karizzle; 08-30-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by karizzle
never too late. all depends on the condition on ur engine. my friend just turbo'd his (rather mint aswell) 550,000kms 92 accord. as for me, i turbo'd my d17(non vtec) @ 95,000kms. its at 105ish now. but i bought a d17(vtec) engine, with 120,000kms, that i will boost, but not before turbo internals, aswell as a new transmission

and for all you people that say you will keep it at "low" boost. i call bs. i used to b like that, knowing i would just be satisfied with finaly a turbo'd vehicle. any psi would be a good psi, as long as my car was faster than stock

then a few months later, reality kicks in, your addicted and you want more. so it will never stop at just 5 or 6 psi, trust me
Ha ha ha, That's cool dude I totally get you on that one, because I'm sure I'll get addicted to performance as fast if not faster then when I got addicted to paint & body.

What you said makes sense, if the engine is good, you're good. That's what I thought.

I only have one question? Um, are you sure you're friend has 550,000km because that's a lot of mileage, 341,754.156 miles to be exact. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...es&btnG=Search
I've never heard of an engine ever having that many miles before. I'm just gonna guess it was a typo.
This is all good to hear, because I want to turbo my car one day in the future.
Old 09-11-2007
Registered!!

majorahole is an unknown quantity at this point

ya i was at 120,000 when i did mine. now its daily driven at 11psi, with stock internals. as long as its not have issues before it should be all good