Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Is this setup cool

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
i dont care what something costs. cost has nothing to do with power. my buddy made over 400 all motor whp and over 600 on spray with junkyard parts. the only brand new thing he used was a rebuild kit with pistons and seals and ****. i dont come on here tryin to start ****. i wasnt the only one clowning on the first set up. people on this website are so touchy and uptight they take the least little bit of sarcasm or a little negative critism and start crying. and you keep throwing out lists of parts people have. who gives a ****? i could have every bolt-on in the world and a crappy tune and get beat by someone with just a few parts and a great tune. people think they can just buy parts and go fast. just relax yo. maybe rice wasnt the term needed for the open header comment. andy, maybe you can answer this since youre turbo'd. how big of a whp difference do you think there would be between a full 3" setup, and your open downpipe? im not saying running open header doesnt make power. never said it. just seems kind of stupid to roll around makin all that damn noise, but i was always into building sleeper type cars. if thats your thing, thats cool. if those couple of extra ponies are worth it, fine. but i am entitled to my opinions just like everyone here. people just always blow up because theyre in front of a computer and they feel like god. grow the hell up.

Last edited by civic01vtec; 12-20-2006 at 08:40 PM. Reason: inappropriate language
Old 12-20-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
I think making anything over 300 whp with a full 2.5" exhaust would be a difficult number with my turbo. So for that extra 50 whp, yeah, its totally worth it.
Old 12-20-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
i didnt know it would cause that much of an increase in power. i could see where turbo motors need to breathe a bit more. youre takin in more air at a faster rate so naturally youd need to get rid of it at a faster rate. what about an n/a motor open header vs full exhaust? i personally wouldnt street drive with an open header or downpipe.
Old 12-20-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on the agression of the build and the cfm flowing through the motor. A full 2.5" true open exhaust would probably not hinder the performance on a d17 to a very extensive degree.
Old 12-20-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
I cleaned this thread up a bit. Please, no more name calling, foul language or insulting other members. Keep it civil.
Old 12-20-2006
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
i didnt know you could gain that much hp by open headrer vs exhaust, i always thought that the exhaust was there to add the needed backpressure
Old 12-21-2006
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Valdeezy
thats a nice setup. But if your going to do all that why dont you just boost it if you are going to rebuild the internals. And especially if your going to put in a stage 3 cam shaft. That is for boosted applications anyways right?
stage 3 is all out race turbo or n/a, come on you old man keep up with the game hahahaha wtf why dont you call me anymore bitch just cause you moved to dallas

Last edited by Michalo187; 12-21-2006 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-21-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by andyman97
Depends on the agression of the build and the cfm flowing through the motor. A full 2.5" true open exhaust would probably not hinder the performance on a d17 to a very extensive degree.
ok. so how am i out of line by calling a d17 on an open header stupid? this isnt a h22 like dude tried to compare his stuff to. its not going to add power = rice if i understand the definition previously written for the word. there are so many definitions of that word its not funny. people call neons rice. they dont make your car look or seem fast. just a visual add-on. how is it rice? ive built small blocks all my life and weve never ran one on open headers and never had a perfermance issue. i stuffed a 351 windsor in a pinto when i was 17, ran a full dual exhaust, and it still pulled the front wheels and ran 7:40's in the 1/8 all motor.
Old 12-21-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
I do agree on the open header for the N/A D17 somewhat overkill. I fabbed up a pipe that ran off my downpipe that exited before the rear wheel when I had nitrous to use at the track. After driving it down the road, I agreed it was way too loud to be using at the track for a high 13 sec car - low 14 sec car. I'm sure you'll friend will feel the same when he does it.
Old 12-21-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Has anyone on here ever seen a fully tuned n/a "open" header, lol?? If you are gonna run without an exhaust take a look around. See what the pros use for a final collector when it comes to tuned cars, its usually not simply a straight wide open collector. The final collector usually entails a small tuned expansion chamber of some sort, or a megaphone exit with a reverse cone reducer. They do this to tune, straighten, and smooth the exhaust pulses for scavenging and to a lesser extent backpressure. They test different combinations of length, outlet size, etc. to find out what works best in terms of useable power, not just peak power, and thats just the final collector, we arent even talking about primary size/length or different types of merge combinations. Its like an art hehe.

I will agree that turbo motors are usually better off running an open dump in drag situations. I will also agree that if any all motor street car was going to utilize an open header, it would probably be a Honda. It sure does get a LOT of attention from the cops though. Im not saying anything is right or wrong, its a trial and error kinda thing. Try running the car with no exhaust and see what happens, you can always add the exhaust after. Oh yea, get a case of ear plugs!!
Old 12-22-2006
Turbo Guru

^Lol, got a spare set I can have? Haha

I've seen all motor dohc honda engines runnning open headers and pick up gains for drag use. But we're talking about a d17 here, the motor isn't going to flow enough n/a cfm to really be able to put an open header to use unlike a larger, more powerful honda motor would.
Old 04-01-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Is this setup cool

that kid is pissed...its just a forum man. they were jus trying to um let you know whats going on. hey about that stage 3 cam...if ur not turboed or anything and ur running a n/a app. wont ur idle be like...funny? like bouncing around or really high or something...i dono thats what i thought.
Old 04-01-2007
Registered!!

Re: Is this setup cool

man dude must have went to the bottom of the pile for this one. this thread is way over. tryin to build your post count?