Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Is this setup cool

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006
nor cal 7thgens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
allmotor can only hope to improve
Is this setup cool

My cousin wanted me to list a setup that may be expensive, but be a great weekend driver na build. Here is what i came up with for him with help from some other members on here

ex vtec head and block
crower stg. 3 camshaft and valvetrain
aem cam gear
pnp and 5 angle valve job
maxbore tb
d16y8 custom manifold ported
aem cai
arp headstuds
oem headgasket
arp mainstuds
acl bearings
eagle rods
ross pistons 76mm 12:5:1
shop worked crankshaft
honed
kamikaze header running off open header (dont tell me 2.5 exhaust, seen so many cars off open header make power and even for na d-series setups)
gearspeed built tranny
aem ems
tuned on 100 octane
omni-power coilovers
dtr fab custom traction bar

this is just a list to guide him, i told him to find the companies and what not to put this together and build it, but what do yall think?
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
thats a nice setup. But if your going to do all that why dont you just boost it if you are going to rebuild the internals. And especially if your going to put in a stage 3 cam shaft. That is for boosted applications anyways right?
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

speedingslowly will become famous soon enough
o yeah its cool alright, but do a k swap
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by allmotor
kamikaze header running off open header (dont tell me 2.5 exhaust, seen so many cars off open header make power and even for na d-series setups)
I think it is going to be a little loud, even thought it is going to be just a weekender.
Old 12-19-2006
Jam out with your clam out.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
link to a company that makes traction bars for our cars?
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
I ran my car with an open long tube header. It was freaking loud. Sounded good when I was beating on it but to drive it is a horror show. No low end at all and a sickening drone at cruise speeds. I fit a 3" exhaust under my car (im turboed) if you are that concerned about exhaust but it honestly will be too big. 2.5" would be pretty good, maybe even slightly too big. no pipes will mean less useable power, esp. on a street car. You may see more peak power but your torque and HP curves will be pretty much useless.
Old 12-19-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
I wasn't aware that eagle now made d17 rods. As far as mainstuds, you can use them but they are unnecessary. You'd be better off spending that money on other parts.
Old 12-19-2006
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by andyman97
I wasn't aware that eagle now made d17 rods. As far as mainstuds, you can use them but they are unnecessary. You'd be better off spending that money on other parts.
Tiz true. Spoke with Eagle at PRI on Friday and they said they have no interest in making the rods for it.
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
In that case I bet the dude in the other N/A thread got a d16 setup from DH. Wouldnt be surprised knowing his rep. Looks like a D16 crank judging by the crank snout.

It kinda sounds like you bounced around through a lot of threads and picked out everything expensive you could think of. Remember some of the best tuners arent the ones with fat wallets. Sometime doing more with less, knowing when you are spending too much on your goals, or simply by putting money in the right places, goes further than finding the most expensive parts on the list. Not saying what you got for a list wont work because its a good start, just saying that the list doesnt mean as much as the knowledge it will take to make the project happen. I have seen a ton of posts like this on forums and not many follow through with em. Stick with it and post your results, we'd like to see.
Old 12-19-2006
Premium Member

jeffsta17 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ lol that **** cracks me up
Old 12-19-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
why in the bloody hell would you waste all that money then put an off the shelf short tube header on there???? Why bother?
Get a custom tuned long tube made. And you're gonna want the exhaust to come out behind you, preferrably with a turndown to keep the noise down. A resonator would help too... the motor needs some backpressure to function.
Modify a manifold? Just make one... you're blowing all the rest of the money.

Omni-power coilovers? Gimme a break.

I agree with Gerry, you just pulled stuff from everyone elses threads... some of that stuff makes no sense.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 12-19-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2006
nor cal 7thgens

WTF is wrong with omni power? Yes i have heard, and no i dont care, because i have seen so many cars run fast with them it doesnt matter. Traction bars can be made for our car at any time by going to a reputable shop and having money. And i put this setup together like in a min. Not mine, just seeing where to fix it, but people replied with joke responses and ******* remarks. And dont mention short tube long tube i know about it and its apparent that you might have not gone to any track or street events, because plenty of na setups run different short tube headers off the collector and they are going fast everytime, of course most know that long tube headers like SMSP or DTR are better, but when my cousin already has a kamikaze header then its obvious what he will use at first. Other factors like weight, slicks and skinnies are important as well and my cousin has his **** gutted and has lenso's so with these coilovers and some built d17 setup WILL move open header or not and if tuned it doesnt fukin matter. Stop being so techincal. Most setups are changed continously and how is it this same setup except on a d16 with crome is quick in a ek or eg coupe? All i got was people trying to act smart and say a story when all i wanted to know was things like the eagle rods not being made for our car, and other FACTS especially when i already stated not to reply about exhuast, read, dont treat me like a fukin idiot. Im not even gonna bother with this anymore, my setup in process is k20a2 buddy club stg 3 valvetrain, pnp, rbc ported mani, stock block, k-pro, etc with a long tube header by dtr but that costs MONEY which is why its taking so dam long. So NOW what rods would you get, and what else would be great to do. HONDA-TECH.com some of these people on here who posted should go on there.
Old 12-19-2006
nor cal 7thgens

whats the famous 7thgen comeback, i have heard it all, and if its about a stock k20a2 block with that head setup dont say it because people like stoopid have made crazy power with a stock block, or is it gona be why spend all of the money and go with that header combo. Why do people use a dc header and run unbolt on a itr mtr? Because people do. It would be better if you run a long tube header to a custom exhaust.....................................FUKIN obvious
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
wow someone is angry. You asked what people thought and that's what they gave you. It's a forum, take it with a grain of salt. The only person that really gave you a not so nice reponse was boilermaker and he has a warning in his sig haha.
Old 12-19-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Stop being so techincal.
You're trying to build a motor without being "so technical"? Get the hell out of here. What do you think it is, legos?

second of all
this is just a list to guide him, i told him to find the companies and what not to put this together and build it, but what do yall think?
you asked what we think, I told you what I think.
You make it sound like its so easy... just buy a ton of parts, work the motor over with this process and that one then toss it together, and that isnt the way it works.
I'd also like to see you get 76mm pistons in a 75mm bore by just honing the block.

WTF is wrong with omni power? Yes i have heard, and no i dont care, because i have seen so many cars run fast with them it doesnt matter.
Cars go in straight lines with leaf springs and 30 year old shocks too. Doesn't make em turn.
Its the same as with almost every other prefab coilover kit thats made in taiwan... the dampers don't have the adjustablility range they should. Its too narrow, which basically eliminates any point of having adjustable damping.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 12-19-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Only off the shelf rods that I'm aware of are crower's. You can pick them up from www.raceeng.com for about 700 I believe. They come with rod bolts also. Something else I may suggest, is to go with OEM Honda bearings. Sure, you can run ACL's but I don't personally know of anyone that is using them in a d17. I'm sure it'd be alright but for my own piece of mind, I went with OEM.
Old 12-19-2006
Diamond Member

Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
The problem with omni power coilovers...is that they have been promising to have a set out for soo long. When I first joined the board truehonda tried to presale some sets and ppl waited soo freaking long and never got them, they did get their money back though. Even till this day, I haven't seen anyone rolling on omni power coilovers in an EM2. Honestly I even remember hearing something on the thread truehonda started stating that omni was having to hard of a time getting a good setup for the car.
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

BRED civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Easy Turbo.
Old 12-19-2006
nor cal 7thgens

good point boiler on the pistons.... but what i meant about technical is many peoples setups out there on the street are vastly different, and some try many bolt-ons, cams, pistons, whether they are good or not. Thanks for the help and uncle juice...... sounds like ur often sheltered, because out here in cali lots of na cars come out to the races whether its street or wensday night drags running open header, my car has stock exhaust and cat............id laugh when u go to stockton and tell that to some peops out here with h22a swaps in there ugly *** hatches runnin open header, and see who is the joke. All u r good at is trying to **** people off on forums..... u suck at life, tryin to clown on a 18 yr old who has been in the game longer then u. Wat is ur current setup bro

Last edited by allmotor; 12-19-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2006
05 civic lx

running a kamikaze header with no exhaust will def. set off alarms haha

i always thought running no exhaust would give u like 2 hp more because its going to flow so easy. but i dont want to risk getting long-term hearing lose from it lol or getting a ticket : /
Old 12-19-2006
nor cal 7thgens

its alright though, ur confused thats why we are here to help.
Old 12-19-2006
nor cal 7thgens

anymore insights, i told my cousin bout some of the ****. Plz no more ignorant comments like uncle juice
Old 12-19-2006
Turbo Guru

Originally Posted by _unclejuice
this is ****in funny. vtec block? street drive on a stage 3 cam? and what kind of ****in ricer drives on open header? this reminds me of that tsudo kid wantin to go set off car alarms with his muffler. why dont you do some searching and reading before you post stupid **** like this? you know youre gonna get flamed. im still laughin over this ****,
Well I guess that makes me a ricer because I drive on the street with a stage III cam and an open downpipe which is even louder.....
Old 12-19-2006
nor cal 7thgens

dont mind him....hes simple
Old 12-19-2006
Diamond Member

this is ****in funny. vtec block? street drive on a stage 3 cam? and what kind of ****in ricer drives on open header? this reminds me of that tsudo kid wantin to go set off car alarms with his muffler. why dont you do some searching and reading before you post stupid **** like this? you know youre gonna get flamed. im still laughin over this ****,
Don't worry about him...let his posts speak for himself.
He talks a lot without a lot *up there*

Last edited by Boggie1688; 12-19-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2006
Diamond Member

^^ see above ^^

*for emphasis*
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Theres nothing wrong with stage-3 cam to run on the street. If you have a good tune, there really shouldn't be a problem.

A couple things in your list I had questions about. First, with 12.5:1 compression, why 100 octane race gas. You could easily run 93 or even 91 octane on that depending on how good your tuner is.

Second, was already mentioned about the cheapy header, get a custom one made or the HP race header would be ok I guess.
Old 12-20-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
stage 3 is going to make **** for power down low. and i dont give a **** about some h22 swapped hatch runnin an open header. people say loud mufflers are rice but ridin around with an open header isnt? explain how that is different than some kid rippin his exhaust off for a weekend cruise. i understand runnin down the track with a test pipe or open downpipe, but not on the street. youve been in the game longer than me and thats the best list you could come up with? what game are you in? grab parts from other peoples threads and put a list together? get real.

Last edited by civic01vtec; 12-20-2006 at 08:38 PM. Reason: inappropriate language
Old 12-20-2006
Turbo Guru

stage 3 is going to make **** for power down low. and i dont give a **** about some h22 swapped hatch runnin an open header. people say loud mufflers are rice but ridin around with an open header isnt? explain how that is different than some kid rippin his exhaust off for a weekend cruise. i understand runnin down the track with a test pipe or open downpipe, but not on the street. youve been in the game longer than me and thats the best list you could come up with? what ****in game are you in? grab parts from other peoples threads and put a list together? get real.
Check out what kind of power I make down low, just look at my sig. I am breaking 200 whp just after 4500 rpm. If I'm racing, my engine never sees fewer rpm than that and you don't think that's beneficial on the street?

And just FYI, rice is something that makes your car look/seem fast but adds no real power to it. I guarantee if I put a full exhaust on, I'd lose power. Even if the sound is loud, if you have the power to back that sound up, what's rice about it? You obviously don't know a whole lot about making horsepower. You'd be best by sitting back and listening instead of showing your ignorance.
Old 12-20-2006
nor cal 7thgens

ur still confused, but andyman and boggie pretty much stated the truth.... if i was stupid why didnt u clown on my setup that actually makes sense, but clown on the setup that people already explained to me about? Why do u go on here to start ****....... my friends weekend cruiser consist of a d16y8 with maxbore tb, sri intake with velocity stack at end, dc header gay header with no exhaust, zex cam with supertech valvetrain, aem cam gear, tuned with zydne i believe and in a light crx it ran mid 14's on falkens, and then high 13's on bogarts....... is that rice for a cheap very cheap *** setup thats loud but i guess rice?

Last edited by allmotor; 12-20-2006 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this setup cool