Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondalx2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
overheating

Hi, i have a 2002 Honda Civic lx.My car has overheated 2 times since last wed. First 2 weeks ago I had a new radiator put in and car ran fine. Last wed I was going up the mountains and it overheated. it drove fine threw the rest of the week (to and from) work. Friday night I was driving about 15 min and it overheated again. Noticed the fans werent working. I replaced the thermostat and still overheated. So I jumped the fans with a paper clip and they both went on so I know there both working. I also jumped the relay switch and its working.so then i replaced the cool fan switch and still over heating. I ran the car with heat on for 20 min and fans never came on and it over heated and did the same with the air. Anyone know what else it could be? everythigns working but still overheating. TIA
Old 09-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: overheating

Originally Posted by hondalx2002
Anyone know what else it could be?
yup.....your head gasket is blown
Old 09-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

ran the car with heat on for 20 min
Just how much heat did the heater put out? None?

I did not see any mention of refilling the radiator. Is it empty?

Head gasket, just because.
Old 09-13-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezone
Just how much heat did the heater put out? None?

I did not see any mention of refilling the radiator. Is it empty?

Head gasket, just because.
Its a good thing OP didn't do any searching in the 7th gen forum...

WHEW! --- I was beginning to fret we'd make it a whole day without an overheating post.
Old 09-13-2015
Registered!!

wingsfan19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bsmiley
Its a good thing OP didn't do any searching in the 7th gen forum...

WHEW! --- I was beginning to fret we'd make it a whole day without an overheating post.
I'd laugh, but the same thing happened to my son's 2003 LX
Old 09-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Head gasket is not necessarily the culprit. I would make sure your fans are cycling before taking the head off. If they aren't turning on then that is probably the issue. If the switch relay and fans seem to operate on their own then, I would look at wiring.

After that I would test for a blown head gasket.
Old 09-15-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Weak/failing water pump maybe? Any leaks near water pump?
Old 09-15-2015
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Weak/failing water pump maybe? Any leaks near water pump?
He did not mention coolant consumption, if he doesn't have any then that is not the case.

Do water pumps gradually go bad? I thought they just gave out like a light switch, they are directly attached to the belt, so I don't see how it could be weak flow, only flow or no flow... Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-15-2015

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
He did not mention coolant consumption, if he doesn't have any then that is not the case.

Do water pumps gradually go bad? I thought they just gave out like a light switch, they are directly attached to the belt, so I don't see how it could be weak flow, only flow or no flow... Correct me if I am wrong.
Could be bearing going bad:
Old 09-15-2015
Registered!!

I do not trust a man who puts that much blue RTV in a place that needs no RTV at all.

Also I could not get audio for some strange glitchy reason, so all I saw was the pictures.

Honestly I have never had to deal with this issue, because I replace the pump every time I do the timing belt, it's just insurance.
Old 09-15-2015

Duplicate
where is delete button
please delete this duplicate

pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeee
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssss
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeee

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-15-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^^^Good Gawd that place looks like a hole.
Tires along the ceiling like a gas station, grease stains all over the walls.
Or maybe that's black mold I see?
SOAP AND PAINT ARE CHEAP!!

^^Ditto on the blue RTV, and IMO the same goes for orange RTV.
Both scream 'amateur' in my world.
Old 09-15-2015
Registered!!

That video confirms my previous understanding... Bearings just make noise, the seal leaks or it just breaks inside. There is no "low flow" situation.
Old 09-15-2015

duplicate post
tried to delete
could not
Old 09-15-2015

I do not trust a man who puts that much blue RTV in a place that needs no RTV at all.

Also I could not get audio for some strange glitchy reason, so all I saw was the pictures.

Honestly I have never had to deal with this issue, because I replace the pump every time I do the timing belt, it's just insurance.

I've had intermittent overheating to an old 1970's Datsun B110 https://www.google.com/search?q=dats...IVTO8UCh1tcQCD I owned about 30 years ago. Replaced water pump and was good to go until I sold it. Rear wheel drive..schweeeet. Only other car that looks as cool is this : https://www.google.com/search?q=rx3&...FYtyFAod5YcFSQ

Maybe I am wrong? Just going by my own experience in which the water pump did cause a low flow situation.
Read it and weep ..son: http://autoresource.internetautoguid...-bad-1389.html

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-15-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2015

There is no "low flow" situation.
I've witnessed, diagnosed, and fixed more than I care to remember.
YES it happens --- and for various reasons.
It's not a common problem, but it does happen.

Impeller blade/fin wear
Housing wear
Block wear
Impeller slippage

All can cause low flow problems.
Old 09-15-2015

Water-pump talk is good an all but, what's really important in this thread is this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a777309b1a.jpg

That's hot & over-heating for ya!
Old 09-15-2015

^Izzaat an RX-3?
Old 09-15-2015

Originally Posted by ezone
^Izzaat an RX-3?
Yes, Check out the rotary symbol in the front grill.,here's more: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3825316/1973-mazda-rx-3/

Ezone.. ever work on one of these Honda's:
Leno's head is about half the size of the car.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-15-2015 at 11:46 PM.