Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Any Turb Kit That Doesn't Remove Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006
I Love Lamp

Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada/ Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burnhard88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Any Turb Kit That Doesn't Remove Cat?

was wondering if any turbo kits for my 02 civic allows the catalytic converter to stay in??? 'tis illegal in canada to drive with no cat on... help???
Old 10-30-2006
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
in the US dx/lx, the cat is integrated into the exhaust mani.. therefore if you have a dx/lx, then no.. you can always get a high flow cat from say.. dezod.. where the random tech hi flow cats are actual catalytic converters and not just test pipes...

the us ex has its cat on the downpipe, so if you have a kit that mates up to the stock downpipe (i.e. the sf kit) then you can keep your cat..
Old 10-30-2006
I Love Lamp

i have the canadian si/u.s ex... i was thinkin of buyin the random tech hi flow cat... so you say the sf turbo kit will fit while having my cat in???
Old 10-30-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
if your goin turbo than why would u want a cat in the first place?...ur just gonna eat it up because u gotta start using premium gas and ur car is just gonna destroy it...also having no cat almost anywhere in north america is illegal (us/canada) plus most aftermarket turbo kits are not street legal so yea...get my point?...if u have a cat your gonna lose power and ur making it non legal anyways so might as well run catless
Old 10-30-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
If you tune it right, you shouldn't be nuking cats left and right. The car is only going to run rich under boost, which means that most of the time, you'll be puttering along at 14.7:1 like ULEV wants you to.
If you have to have a cat for inspection purposes, then run one, I have a R/T cat and it works fine, but if you need one just because they say so, but no one ever looks, don't bother.
Old 10-30-2006
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
NO CAT.... FTW
I ran w/o for 5years already. No problems. Just remove the car when its time for inspection.
Old 10-30-2006
I Love Lamp

say if i remove the cat with the turbo, and emissions check up time comes up, is there anyway that i can put the cat back in and run it for the test?? then when the test is over, take it out again???
Old 10-30-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
It will be a pain the butt bc as far as I know there's no downpipe made that bolts to the cat so you'll have to fab up a custom one. I know several members on here one being acura el from canada has a cat with his tsi turbo kit. I suggest you talk to him being a fellow canadian and he can point you in the right direction. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2006
I Love Lamp

thanks ronaldo, what's his name??? is it telly???
Old 10-30-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
I think that's his name but I'm not sure. I've PMed him a few times and he's really friendly and knowledgeable.
Old 10-30-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Hey it's not me, ELena is still N/A, all show no go. I think you're thinking of the guy with the burgundy EL - his screen name is 03-Acura-1.7-EL, it's pretty much a full description of his car LOL. I myself will be asking him a few questions this spring...

he's really friendly and knowledgeable.
DEFINITELY not me, I'm a jerk.
Old 10-31-2006
I Love Lamp

well... it looks like if i wanna go with a turbo, it's gonna be the TSI extreme one... with the t28 bb turbo... and then i don't know.. i was thinkin of goin really hardcore on the internals like port and polish, head bolts, sleeves, 8:8:1pistons, rods, cams... is that too much to run the t-28??? last thing i want is an engine blowin up on me... oh yeah, and 440 cc injectors, return fuel system, and aem ems... i think that's it... LOL
Old 10-31-2006
Registered!!

Not too much at all mate. The last thing you wanna do is take short cuts but you're def on the right path to having a great system. Good luck with the build.
Old 10-31-2006
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Hahhahaha in Quebec where I live no emissions test needed at all.. Although the bastards will prob have it soon enough in this province
Old 10-31-2006
I Love Lamp

thanks ronaldo on the props??? is there anything else i'm forgetting with the build??? viper, long time no talk man!!! yeah, your lucky as hell to have the no emissions testing law... haha... be less hassle over there, haha
Old 11-01-2006
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
its possible with any turbo kit you would just need a custom downpipe i think. note it will make it more difficult to make power with a cat on there.
Old 11-02-2006
I Love Lamp

the TSI Extreme kit keeps the cat intact... so i don't have to worry about any custom down pipes... i'll run a random tech hi flow cat so, hopefully it'll clear it up a bit... i'll have to see what read outs i get from the dyno with cat on... if it's in the 180-200 whp neighborhood, i'll be happy, haha
Old 11-02-2006
Registered!!

DowntownRicer is an unknown quantity at this point
one question along these lines i've always had is that if you don't have a cat in and a turbo setup does it really matter when emissions times come around? Aren't they just going to plug the car into the computer and if your computer gives you a thumbs up then your good to go? Is there a way to tweak your cars computer so that it always says its okay as far as emissions is concerned?
Old 11-02-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
^^I don't know about the states but here in Ontario (canada) they stick a sensor in the tailpipe in addition to plugging into the computer.
Old 11-02-2006
I Love Lamp

yea, damn b@$tardos