Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

thinking about turbo, need help though

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MotorWeb EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
thinking about turbo, need help though

im lookin at getting the TSI extreme turbo kit ofr my car. 2005 civic ex.
first off. is there anything else im gonna have to get for it to work properly or does it already have what i need. here is the link so u can see what it comes with.
http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...turbo-kit.html

another thing, i have a greddy evo2 exhaust. i was wondering if i would have to get the greddy evoTT (i think thats what its called) cause that one says its for turbo cars. or will my evo2 be fine.

and...once the thing is installed, am i able to just start up and go. or is there stuff that i have to do, like tune the engine, before it will run right. i mean, its got all the electronic things with the kit. but im not sure.

and last of all. my car is an automatic. im not lookin to make this car a racer, im workin on making it a chow car, so i dont really car that its not manual. the turbo should still work with an automatic right?

i appreciate any help that can be given to me.
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
turbo actually works well with auto transmission... boost builds and stays consistant. thats why 10 second supras are mostly autos, but they have a bigger block and a bigger turbo. I'm not sure if its going to be the same story with a civic though.... i'm sure if you build it and tune it rite, the turbo will be fine with the auto transmission.
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
yes a lot of those supras are automatic... because the TT supra automatic > manual... our automatic on the other hand breaks like a toothpick so you better be careful how much boost you run or get your transmission built up.
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

awsome. so far its lookin good for me to get that turbo. now lets see if those other questions get answered. if they are good answers then ill hopefully be getting it. cause i really dont wanna have to get a new exhaust. i dont think it would matter, but im not sure. anywho. thanks for answering one of my questions. if u know anything else that would answer my other questions...let me know.
Old 10-16-2006
diamonds she will pretty much have to

ex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the rough
the exhaust doesn't matter. 2.5"-3" is the best size piping for a turbo on our cars, but it doesn't really matter and I don't believe there is an exhaust out for our cars that's bigger than 2.25" anyway. The EVO 2 should run fine with the turbo, especially the TSI kit since it uses a T25-footed turbo. I'm going to be running apexi WSII with my dezod kit which should be going on within the next month or so.

Also, you will have to get the car tuned and while the TSI fuel setup is ok for that kit, I would recommend to opt out of that and get RSX injectors and an emanage at least. It's a much better platform to work with and gives some room for upgrading down the road if you want to.
Old 10-16-2006
People point and laugh when I drive by. Plus I like men.

CASPER087 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kasimmmmm
turbo actually works well with auto transmission... boost builds and stays consistant. thats why 10 second supras are mostly autos, but they have a bigger block and a bigger turbo. I'm not sure if its going to be the same story with a civic though.... i'm sure if you build it and tune it rite, the turbo will be fine with the auto transmission.
it would be better to have a stick for the turbo on our cars. automatics are weak. just like the one dude said build your bottom end and your tranny. and for the supra thing, they just have bad turbo lag on sticks thats not with all cars. our cars put out more hp stick then automatic. take the same car auto and mannual with the same turbo and race them, id have my money on the stick. and if your looking for show why go for the turbo now? do more exterior work and interior or do a engine dress up and make it look all purty
Old 10-17-2006
Registered!!

i understand that stick is faster. i really dont care to hear it because i have an auto and thats not changin. not to be rude. but im tired of people tellin me that. big deal. my car is mostly just for show, not for racing. the only reason im going for turbo is yes..for more horsepower, but its part of show for me, i think it would be cooler to have a turbo in there then have just my intake and headers. and i am getting more interior and exterior stuff, but im askin about the turbo right now. money isnt a problem. im sponsored by MotorWeb so i get what i need from them. im just curious about the turbo cause i dunno if i wanna ask for it if its not gonna work properly for me. my car will look "purty", no worries. im waiting for all my stuff to come in, like my body kit, carbon fiber hood and trunk, and fender flares. and my racing seats, and pretty much anything else u could think of. so yeah. if anyone could help me out with the questions that i asked, that would be great. thanks.
Old 10-17-2006
Registered!!

03EXD17 is an unknown quantity at this point
There actually is an exhaust that is bigger then 2.25. Ktelller makes a 3 inch exhaust for the rsx and fits just about perfect on our gen. I love it!
Old 10-17-2006
Registered!!

as long as my evo2 is good enough, im not gonna bother trying to get a different one.
Old 10-18-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
While the TSI kit isn't *bad* I don't think its the greatest either. For $2900 bucks you could go pretty far in just building a kit, especially if you can do some fab work yourself.
T25s are cheap (they can prolly be found new for 400 bucks, maybe less) or use a 14b or 16g Mitsu... grab a $250 HKS manifold and a Johnny Racecar intercooler $170??, a $35 Bosch BOV, E-manage and some RSX injectors, get some friends, a welder and a saw grab some pipes and go to town. Getting all the parts on the cheap isn't bad.... journal bearing turbos aren't new technology, they do work though, cast log manifolds don't flow the best, but they're reliable and the HKS one isn't bad at all, the JRC ICs seem to be well made from the ones I've seen, and the Bosch valve is stock on the $130K 911 Turbo... hasn't failed me yet.

*** disclaimer - I made that sound a lot easier than it is, but it can be done. I have a feeling that kit is more expensive than the sum of its parts... and you'll need to ditch the fuel system that comes with it anyways.
Old 10-18-2006
Registered!!

cool. well. its really not a matter of how much it costs or not. i dont really wanna have to do all the work and request a bunch of seperate parts, id rather just get a kit that will do the job. it doesnt have to be amazing, its just gotta work. its not that i cant do the work, because i can, id just rather not if i dont have to. but thanks for the tips.
Old 10-18-2006
Registered!!

ian01ex is an unknown quantity at this point
I dunno, I'm leaning towards the piece it together yourself. If you know all the parts you put on there then you'll know how to fix it and you might have a little more fun? The only part I'd have trouble with personally is the charge pipes. I dont know how to weld but all that is is a community college class in your free time? I'm kinda starting to ramble now but for me modding my car is also about learning how to work on it and learning new things.
Old 10-18-2006
Boredom causes changes ;)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Karumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura about
More than likely the charge pipes that come with the system will need to be reworked anyways - as the automatic transmission might hinder its passage (or at least I was explained that in a discussion on another board)
Old 10-18-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
If you dont want to piece together a kit, as I was, then 2500-2600 is a good price, it does come with all bits a pieces to put it on. Opt for TSI fuel system and if you dont like you can always go further with RSX injectors and emanage.
Old 10-29-2006
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by metallicadude32
i understand that stick is faster. i really dont care to hear it because i have an auto and thats not changin. not to be rude. but im tired of people tellin me that. big deal. my car is mostly just for show, not for racing. the only reason im going for turbo is yes..for more horsepower, but its part of show for me, i think it would be cooler to have a turbo in there then have just my intake and headers. and i am getting more interior and exterior stuff, but im askin about the turbo right now. money isnt a problem. im sponsored by MotorWeb so i get what i need from them. im just curious about the turbo cause i dunno if i wanna ask for it if its not gonna work properly for me. my car will look "purty", no worries. im waiting for all my stuff to come in, like my body kit, carbon fiber hood and trunk, and fender flares. and my racing seats, and pretty much anything else u could think of. so yeah. if anyone could help me out with the questions that i asked, that would be great. thanks.

Autos are not the slowest by any means. My 05 Subaru Legacy GT was an auto. 5spd electronic auto. Sportshift. That thing shifted fast as hell. Plus I could downshift. Mod for Mod, the auto would always beat the stick in my car. I raced a stage 2 05 LGT (same as mine, but stick and better suspension), and I was even with him and I had 3 more people in the car. On the shifts, I would be so much quicker, and it showed easily when Id pull up more. I would have more than likely beat him if we kept going. I slowed down

They also would run about .1 seconds stock in the 1/4 mile. I doubt supras use the auto to help with lag. Autos have much worse lag, IMO. They use them because they shift so much faster than anybody could do in a stick. They have large gears, and run awesome.

You need some larger gears though in the vic. the 4spd auto isnt the best, but will definately work. I havent owned my boosted 7thgen for a year now. And there are tons of new internals.

It probably holds boost better on shifts, since youre still at WOT, but the turbo would more than likely get out of breath quicker as well.
Old 12-01-2006
Registered!!

jdm_es2 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you're going to boost the auto and run it over 8psi, i recommend the tranny rebuild or if anything you could just get a level 10 or tci torque converter otherwise the tranny will blow.