Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

couple questions from a nub.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
Arrow couple questions from a nub.

first off i'm pretty much a nub to turbo setups for d17s but i have been doing some research...

i've been thinking about getting a turbo. i've got two important quesitons...

1. if i was going for a t25 setup would i need to replace my stock clutch? if so, is there any kit that wouldnt require me to replace my clutch? (i just had a new stock clutch installed in my car)

2. i've got an apexi safc2 in my car right now and i was wandering if it would be sufficient to tune a turbo setup.

i dont really want a powerful setup, just something that will have a little more power around town. i saw where hks's has a new manfiold thats good for a t25, but i have no idea about what i'm going to do for intercooler piping or an intercooler or injectors or whatever else i need. any help would be great.

Old 06-08-2006
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
1) It never hurts to replace the stock cluch with a stronger one that will handle more tq.

2) that will tune a turbo but it would be better to get a E-Manager.

Not quite sure what to say.. But i have one question.. What do you have a nub of?
Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
nub meaning "noob" what im asking is would a stock clutch be ok to drive around with on a t25 setup? i'm not really looking for big horsepower numbers, just a boost in torque around town. the stock one was rated to around 170hp wasnt it?

Last edited by R3DL1N3; 06-08-2006 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-08-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, a stock clutch will hold it, for how long, who knows, but mine has been holding 6 psi for a few months now.
Don't think that because you want low power you can cheap it out, it just leads to problems, you still have to do everything right.
Get an e-manage.
Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Clutch - YES
safc - NO
Old 06-08-2006
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
We sell individual turbo parts that will help aid in your custom venture, but be forewarned it can run just as much, if not more to go custom than a kit.
Old 06-08-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dezod
We sell individual turbo parts that will help aid in your custom venture, but be forewarned it can run just as much, if not more to go custom than a kit.
While this is true, the bigger savings of a kit is the HEADACHE. Finding nick nack parts is a pain in the ***. I would definitely not do custom unless you have the means to fabricate metal parts yourself.
Old 06-08-2006
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
While this is true, the bigger savings of a kit is the HEADACHE. Finding nick nack parts is a pain in the ***. I would definitely not do custom unless you have the means to fabricate metal parts yourself.
Speaking from experience there huh Boiler?
Old 06-08-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

yeah, I have a little bit of it
Old 06-08-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
yeah, I have a little bit of it

Old 06-08-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
You CAN run whatever you want. SAFC will work but you have no means to control timing which will reduce the amount of power you COULD be making.

There are so many different routes you can go, you could definitely put something together for cheap. Turbo setups don't have to run 3k+ unless you want to make big power. If you sincerely don't care about max power, get rsx injectors, use a cheap t25 turbo, get a cheap intercooler, rig up your piping and go with that. It'd be sufficient for what you're looking for.

Problem is, you will get used to that little extra power and odds are, you will want more. Personally, I would only go with parts that wouldn't need to be upgraded later on down the road.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

thanks for all the help. i'm not quite sure if i want to pursue building a turbokit for my car just yet. i've got about a grand right now, and i'm not surewhat i'm going to be saving it for. (mabey s2000) i would need at least $3000 more. if i do choose to go the turbo route i'm going to take it to one of the atlanta area shops and see if they've had any experience turboing a d17. i'm going to see if my parents might want to pitch in, they wont if they know i'll be doing the work myself haha.

couple questions

1. would anything have to be modified for the rsx injectors to fit and are they the 600cc injectors?

2. hks turbos - has anyone had any experience with an hks turbo on their manifold? instead of going garrett i was thinking hks could possible be a better choice. but i have no idea which one to buy.

and let me get this strait on the last of parts i need. correct me if i'm wrong on anything.

- turbocharger
- turbo manifold
- engine management system
- wastegate
- bov
- intercooler
- intercooler piping
- rsx injectors
- turbo downpipe
- cel fix (???)
- boost controller
- turbo timer
- boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge and egt gauge (????)

i really just want to use my safc2 to tune it with. i've heard theres a really good tuner at topspeed in atlanta. mabey he'll have some suggestions. thanks for the help though. dezod, i might be contacting you in the fututre.
Old 06-09-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by R3DL1N3
2. hks turbos - has anyone had any experience with an hks turbo on their manifold? instead of going garrett i was thinking hks could possible be a better choice. but i have no idea which one to buy.
HKS turbos are VASTLY over rated and over priced. Not worth the money at all.

Some T3/T4 Options:

http://dezod.com/cat_turbochargers1.cfm
Old 06-09-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

couple questions

1. would anything have to be modified for the rsx injectors to fit and are they the 600cc injectors? 310cc, they're plenty for 6-8 psi

2. hks turbos - has anyone had any experience with an hks turbo on their manifold? instead of going garrett i was thinking hks could possible be a better choice. but i have no idea which one to buy. Just use one of the garrett GTs.... fantastic turbos loaded with lots of great features and new technology

and let me get this strait on the last of parts i need. correct me if i'm wrong on anything.

- turbocharger
- turbo manifold
- engine management system
- wastegate if the turbo is internal gated (most T25 footed turbos are) then you'd need just the actuator if the turbo doesn't come with it
- bov
- intercooler
- intercooler piping
- rsx injectors
- turbo downpipe
- cel fix (???) e-manage w/ pressure harness
- boost controller (not necessary if you get the right wastegate actuator)
- turbo timer (also not "necessary", especially with a H2O cooled turbo)
- boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge and egt gauge (????) wideband A/F, you don't need fuel pressure, its constant. oil temp is also wise, as is oil pressure and water temp.

i really just want to use my safc2 to tune it with. i've heard theres a really good tuner at topspeed in atlanta. mabey he'll have some suggestions. thanks for the help though. dezod, i might be contacting you in the fututre. [/QUOTE]
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

thanks for the help. i gues of right now the biggest concern i have would be the fuel management. having to get e-manage would just be another $300 i'd have to save. one last question, would my safc2 clear cel problems? if not, would i just go ahead and purchase a cel fix or would i have to do something else?
Old 06-09-2006
7thgen Power Maker

thanks for the help. i gues of right now the biggest concern i have would be the fuel management. having to get e-manage would just be another $300 i'd have to save. one last question, would my safc2 clear cel problems? if not, would i just go ahead and purchase a cel fix or would i have to do something else?
No it will not. You will need an O2 sim of sorts.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Here, I have the same thing as well.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...36#post3650836
Old 06-09-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by 03-Acura-1.7-EL
Here, I have the same thing as well.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...36#post3650836
Bingo!
Old 06-09-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

^^^ that will clear O2 sensors, but what it won't do is keep the MAP sensor happy, which is what you really need to do. E-manage can modify the signal and deal with the MAP, or a missing link will just bleed off the boost before the MAP sees it.
Seriously, if you're worried about the fact that e-manage costs an extra couple hundred bucks, keep ALL the money in your pocket. It will be the least of your problems if you tune a turbo with just throttle position, not to mention all the rest of the nickel and diming that goes with boosting a car.
Old 06-10-2006
Registered!!

yeah i just want something that'll make my car a little faster and still be reliable. nothing fancy.

dezod,

i was just going to pm you, but i think i'll just ask in here and hope you read it.

1. would the hks be a good choice for manifold for a regular t25? if not which manifold should i get for a t25?

2. would the newer model intercooler and piping kit you offer mount up the same way to the t25 setup?

3. i didnt see any t25's on your site. do you still carry them? mabey i was wasnt looking hard enough.

Last edited by R3DL1N3; 06-10-2006 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-10-2006
7thgen Power Maker

yeah i just want something that'll make my car a little faster and still be reliable. nothing fancy.

dezod,

i was just going to pm you, but i think i'll just ask in here and hope you read it.

1. would the hks be a good choice for manifold for a regular t25? if not which manifold should i get for a t25?

2. would the newer model intercooler and piping kit you offer mount up the same way to the t25 setup?

3. i didnt see any t25's on your site. do you still carry them? mabey i was wasnt looking hard enough.
1) For a budget minded kit, yes.

2) It will come close to fitting, but it is designed around a T3/T4. So it may be a tad off.

3) There are T25's there:
http://dezod.com/cat_turbos.cfm

GT22 & GT28 listed there are T25 footed.
Old 06-10-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dezod
1) For a budget minded kit, yes.

2) It will come close to fitting, but it is designed around a T3/T4. So it may be a tad off.

3) There are T25's there:
http://dezod.com/cat_turbos.cfm

GT22 & GT28 listed there are T25 footed.
thanks man. i didn't really know what i was looking for. i was thinking either of therse would be my best choices...

http://dezod.com/pd_garrett.cfm

http://dezod.com/pd_garrett_gt28rs_ball.cfm

(btw does free float mean that the wastegate will be external??)

as far as the intercooler and piping go, is there another intercooler on the market that would work better? i saw where tsi has a t25 kit, but i don't really know that much about that company and their reputation. and did yall stop offering the t25 turbo kit all together?

i think that's most of my questions for right now. i've still got a lot of research to do.

once again, i don't know if i'm going to be going the turbo route or saving for an s2000. it's 50/50 as of right now. but if i do go turbo i'll more thank likely be buying 90% of my parts from you guys. i really appreciate all the help.
Old 06-11-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

The GT22 is too small. Use either a 25 or 28R, if you want to make alot of power, use a 28RS (AKA Disco Potato).
Regarding the IC, based on the manifold, you'll have to adjust the compressor outlet pipe according to where the compressor outler flange ends up. The pipe from the IC outlet to the throttle should be the same. Any shop with a welder should be able to adjust the length of the inlet pipe to fit whatever turbo and manifold you go with. You'll also need to have a custom down pipe made. no one makes one commercially to fit the HKS manifold.
Dezod never offered a T25 kit.
Old 06-11-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
ok, instead of wasting the money on O2 sims, just sell the VAFC2 and grab an emanage with the harnesses. it makes more sense, and is less of a headache.
Old 06-11-2006
Registered!!

so would it make more sense to just go with a TSI kit for what i'm going for? i've read good and bad things about tsi and i dont know what to believe. have they improved on that kit at all? i'm thinking about just contacting knowledge performance in kennesaw and see what they say. my main concern was that i didnt want to have to replace my brand new stock clutch i just bought, and i figured i could keep it for the time being as long as i was only running about 5 or 6 pounds of boost.

Last edited by R3DL1N3; 06-11-2006 at 03:23 AM.