Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 civic lx problems after certain fixes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bounddyy is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 civic lx problems after certain fixes.

Background story... So I took my car apart to fix a warped cylinder head. I took many things apart as you can guess but the biggest question is after taking the cylinder head off I had it machined at a shop they took off the pully gear + (assuming) rockers and holding plate cause when I got it back they asked me to retorque the top bolts, they were loose. Now my car isn't starting I haven't pushed it to start cause its 2 am I'll be waiting till day light. But saw some black smoke come out. 2 questions to all of you guys

1. Do I need to getting anything else done if they took off the rocker arms and holder plate?

2. I followed this (http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2013/09/07/11/58/pic-2796364554499986142.gif) diagram for putting the distributed back on is it correct for 6th gen 1.6 SOHC LX?

FYI this is my first car and still learning, I'm new to cars.

Last edited by Bounddyy; 07-19-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1999 civic lx problems after certain fixes.

cam-crank timing has to be perfect
valves have to be adjusted correctly
distributor can be lined up with the marks left by the bolts to get it started
plug wires on cap may or may not match that diagram exactly, but if they are not in the correct places it won't run
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
cam-crank timing has to be perfect
valves have to be adjusted correctly
distributor can be lined up with the marks left by the bolts to get it started
plug wires on cap may or may not match that diagram exactly, but if they are not in the correct places it won't run
Alright thank you I guess I need to get my valves adjusted.
Old 07-19-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bounddyy
Alright thank you I guess I need to get my valves adjusted.
You only said it didn't start but you don't give other handy observations or test results and there are a zillion possible reasons an engine doesn't run....so why doesn't it run?

Basics:
Compression, fuel, spark.

Compression test? Does it have proper compression on all 4 cylinders
Is it getting fuel into the cylinders
Is the spark getting to each cylinder at the correct time
Which is not perfect here?

Check the ground wires on the thermostat housing?
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Actually I got it to start on the first turn over of course thanks to you I had to adjust valves and now it's idling at very high RPMs 1500 and bouncing between 1500 ~ 1600 OBD says
http://www.dtcsearch.com/P1509/?from=Torque

Correction on that, obd says IAC Valve malfunction

Which can be many things. Also sorry for the little info waiting for the compression kit

Last edited by Bounddyy; 07-19-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2015

If it's running on all 4 cylinders and not misfiring, I would not worry much about compression tests now.
Tight valves would have caused loss of compression.

P1509 is usually a circuit code, is the IAC unplugged? open circuit?
Old 07-19-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Actually I got it to start on the first turn over of course thanks to you I had to adjust valves and now it's idling at very high RPMs 1500 and bouncing between 1500 ~ 1600 OBD says
http://www.dtcsearch.com/P1509/?from=Torque

Which can be many things. Also sorry for the little info waiting for the compression kit
Remove and clean the IACV (idle air control valve)
Remove and clean throttle body (replace TB gasket if needed)
After doing both of those disconnect your ground terminal from battery, turn headlights on and pump brake a few times to discharge residual. After that turn off all electronics off (a/c, stereo, headlights) and then reconnect battery, start car to re-learn ECU. Hopefully no more CEL.
Follow Ezone's suggestions before mine.
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

If it's running on all 4 cylinders and not misfiring, I would not worry much about compression tests now.
Tight valves would have caused loss of compression.

P1509 is usually a circuit code, is the IAC unplugged? open circuit?
Thank you for the quick replies and the help going to open it up in a bit and see
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Remove and clean the IACV (idle air control valve)
Remove and clean throttle body (replace TB gasket if needed)
After doing both of those disconnect your ground terminal from battery, turn headlights on and pump brake a few times to discharge residual. After that turn off all electronics off (a/c, stereo, headlights) and then reconnect battery, start car to re-learn ECU. Hopefully no more CEL.
I will try your method and clean if the its not disconnected thank you for the help
Old 07-19-2015

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Thank you for the quick replies and the help going to open it up in a bit and see
I added in my post to follow Ezone's suggestions before mine ..in case you didn't see it.
Does sound like you most likely left IACV disconnected. However, wouldn't hurt to clean out both the TB and IACV if you haven't done it in the past.
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Thank you all the car is running perfectly and it was disconnected idk how never got near it but thank you ezone.
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

I added in my post to follow Ezone's suggestions before mine ..in case you didn't see it.
Does sound like you most likely left IACV disconnected. However, wouldn't hurt to clean out both the TB and IACV if you haven't done it in the past.
Sorry didn't mean to offend you but yes it was disconnected thank you for the help.
Old 07-19-2015

Thank you all the car is running perfectly and it was disconnected idk how never got near it but thank you ezone.

Yay!

Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

I will clean that but I have another issue / question watch this video and do you hear that ticking sound? It idles a bit rough I thought that might be the age issue but it only gas 135k miles which is nothing for a 99. I've had that since I got this car about over an year ago can't figure out what it just got worse...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/e3m8ga1w7whkbwa/AACadimBsZOSw7UtWVBiA_cPa
Old 07-19-2015
Registered!!

Yay!

I posted above about another long term issue can you please look over it ? Any suggestions ? Thank you!!!
Old 07-19-2015

I can't tell anything at all from the video.
Old 07-19-2015

I will clean that but I have another issue / question watch this video and do you hear that ticking sound? It idles a bit rough I thought that might be the age issue but it only gas 135k miles which is nothing for a 99. I've had that since I got this car about over an year ago can't figure out what it just got worse...
Have you owned a 6th generation Civic before? If not.. they all seem to make a slight ticking sound. A very loud ticking sound would be cause for concern. Rough idle could be caused by a number of things: weak spark, vacuum leak, poor air/fuel ratio. When I replaced my head gasket recently I forgot to plug in the vacuum line that connects from the cruise control unit (in engine bay) to the lower/rear outlet on the intake manifold.. resulting in a slightly high, rough idle. After properly connecting it, it's idling normal.
Old 07-20-2015
Registered!!

Have you owned a 6th generation Civic before? If not.. they all seem to make a slight ticking sound. A very loud ticking sound would be cause for concern. Rough idle could be caused by a number of things: weak spark, vacuum leak, poor air/fuel ratio. When I replaced my head gasket recently I forgot to plug in the vacuum line that connects from the cruise control unit (in engine bay) to the lower/rear outlet on the intake manifold.. resulting in a slightly high, rough idle. After properly connecting it, it's idling normal.
Nope this is my first car only 21, I have had 2 motorcycles before but those are another story. But that helps a lot its not super loud it only idles rough (vibrations) when ac turns on and I'm assuming that its not "rough idle" just the lack of power for a tiny car cause the RPMs stay around 800 steady. I too forgot about that little hose lol but I connected it when I was putting the intake back on.
Old 07-20-2015

it only idles rough (vibrations) when ac turns on
The AC system places a load upon the engine when it turns the compressor on, so the engine has to work harder and you can feel a difference when it's on.

It's been said it takes anywhere from 2-5 horsepower to run the compressor and that's quite a bit of power for an engine that's only running at idle speed and making maaaybe 20hp (example).
Old 07-20-2015
Registered!!

The AC system places a load upon the engine when it turns the compressor on, so the engine has to work harder and you can feel a difference when it's on.

It's been said it takes anywhere from 2-5 horsepower to run the compressor and that's quite a bit of power for an engine that's only running at idle speed and making maaaybe 20hp (example).
Alright thank you!