Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Manifold nuts not holding tight

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006
Boosted 04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
Manifold nuts not holding tight

No matter what I do to the left bottom nut on my mani it just seems to come loose after driving. I need it to hold good before i go to the dyno....anyone got any suggestions?
Old 04-13-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
You sure the threads didn't take a crap?
Old 04-13-2006
Registered!!

SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
clean the stud w/some degreaser, use thread lock and a lock washer
Old 04-13-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Thread lock will melt off unless you get the high temp stuff. Use a lock washer or get locking exhaust nuts.
Old 04-13-2006
this has been an atl01 production..

atl01 will become famous soon enough
just replace the stud with a new one. just think if you have to take that nut off one day then it might not come off if you put threadlock on it.
Old 04-13-2006
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
JB weld the manifold to the head...

j/k...
Old 04-13-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
^^

Definately dont use JB.
Use lockable washers as some one said.
Also check stud/nut for threads, as you might have striped'em.
Replace stud/nut if necessary.
Old 04-13-2006

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
manifold could be bend.
Have it rec.
But deffinately change the stud.
I did mine to a number 10 stud 1.25" long.
Bore it out then place in with
Old 04-13-2006
Boosted 04

joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
Originally Posted by Supermex
manifold could be bend.
Have it rec.
But deffinately change the stud.
I did mine to a number 10 stud 1.25" long.
Bore it out then place in with

the mani is perfect i just got it and the surface was very good. I took the nut off and put a **** load of lock tight on and torqued it pretty good and its now holding...i guess we will see what happens.
Old 04-14-2006

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
Originally Posted by joshb_
the mani is perfect i just got it and the surface was very good. I took the nut off and put a **** load of lock tight on and torqued it pretty good and its now holding...i guess we will see what happens.
Good luck I hope it works.
This is going to be a future problem with boosted 7thgens all over.
The stock studs are too small and weak to hold the wheight and kinetic forces of the turbo at full spool.

Specialy after removing the bolts once or twice during install.

I had that happen to me in twice and took care of it with a set of five ARP #10 studs but ACE hardware have them too at lower price.
I did it with while P&P the head.
That biach is not going anywhere and the ARP's can be reused over and over without loocktight.

If is only the nut coming lose ARP has a set of nut looks for $2.00 each

Keep an eye on it an look for signs of carbonation on the bottom of that nut.
The nut could be tight but the strut may of came lose inside the head.
In that case the nut can be tighten again and again till the end of that side of the stud.

Also beware that is hard to tell when a manifold is straight or bend just by looking at it without close measurements.
New stuff can be defective too.
Old 04-14-2006
Boosted 04

I dont under stand why they went to the 5 bolt pattern, its so much weaker
Old 04-14-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by joshb_
I dont under stand why they went to the 5 bolt pattern, its so much weaker
because its good enough for the car in stock form, and drilling/cutting 5 holes, then the subsiquent bolting operation is faster than lots of holes, therefore cheaper.
Old 04-14-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
i was gonna say just use the lock washer or simply get another bolt and drive it against the first one. well see what happens.
Old 04-14-2006
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
you might need new studs and nuts which is about $22 dollars for all five from the dealer, and while your at it heat wrap your header if its an aftermarket header. and if that doesn't do squat... just get locking washers. MIne kept getting loose after every drive with just my header and catback. I damper (engine might help but i dunno)
Old 04-14-2006
Boosted 04

Originally Posted by blackdragon
you might need new studs and nuts which is about $22 dollars for all five from the dealer, and while your at it heat wrap your header if its an aftermarket header. and if that doesn't do squat... just get locking washers. MIne kept getting loose after every drive with just my header and catback. I damper (engine might help but i dunno)

yeah...i got a price at work today...it was 8 bucks for them all cause im a tech at a acura dealer.