Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

How to fix stafford fabrications crappy downpipe!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up How to fix stafford fabrications crappy downpipe!

After trying few different things with trying to get the downpipe to seal to the exhaust pipe for a while now, I finally got a good seal!!

Stafford fabrications uses a crappy piece of pipe extending into the exhaust pipe to "seal" the exhaust up. Their solution is to let the carbon seal the thing up.......uh yeah, ok guys nice try.

Ever since I've had my manifold / downpipe I haven't been satisfied with the damn leaks.

I tried cutting and installing some different donut gaskets and installing them - it would only half *** work.

Last night I bought some permatex copper RTV - its supposed to withstand up to 700 degrees. I put a nice layer on and around the donut that was there. Let it sit overnight, reinstalled it this morning.

All I can say is wow!! My car is actually quiet again! I can HEAR the turbo spooling up more now (rather than just crappy exhaust noise).....

This stuff works great!!
Old 11-11-2004
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
its too bad that's what it took to fix it, but glad its working good bTW hows your idle issue you were having?
Old 11-18-2004
Registered!!

Civman500 is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i had the same problems with my HP 4-1 header to HP downpipe, right where the header met the downpipe would blow exhaust and i was losing backpressure like crazy. i used the permatex and its good stuff, just had to make sure to clean the spots i was gonna apply it first to make sure it bonded, but otherwise permatex was my life saver too!
Old 11-18-2004
Once you go Black on Black, You Never Go Back.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robo1040 will become famous soon enough
dude i got the sickest exhaust leak, i got an LX downpipe, but my car is an EX, so i made my own exhaust from the downpipe back, but i couldent get the bend right around the oil pan, mabey ill try your idea, thankz.
Old 11-19-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
thanx opto..........i am gonna have to try that
Old 11-20-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by civic01vtec
thanx opto..........i am gonna have to try that
Dude - its so much quieter its not funny, the extra noise that is. I can actually here the turbo spool up better - sounds cleaner and meaner....