Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

TSI kit arrived

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thebigjap is an unknown quantity at this point
TSI kit arrived

wassup. I recently ordered the TSI extreme kit. Well, I got it today. As I was looking over everything I noticed a couple of things...I never would have thought that the turbo would be as heavy as it is....but I couldn't help but notice that the oil feed line/flange on the turbo looks bent....

The piece of "tubing"(?) seems to be made of mild steel, and I'm taking a logical guess here, but I don't think it is supposed to be bent the way it is.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-11-2004

gotti will become famous soon enoughgotti will become famous soon enough
thats f*cked.
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, that's definitely dented. that's an odd way to make an oil line
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

z00mX is an unknown quantity at this point
probly got smashed in the process of getting shipped to you...?
Old 08-11-2004
bic
Registered!!

bic is an unknown quantity at this point
Definately dont try to use it like that. It would probably be easier to fix it yourself than try and get a replacement.
Old 08-12-2004
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bic
Definately dont try to use it like that. It would probably be easier to fix it yourself than try and get a replacement.
I agree with him 100%.
Old 08-12-2004

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
go to Summit and piece together a Feed line and Return Line. I went with the Russell Line and Fittings that are made by Edelbrock. Very nice stuff and it's braided. Much cheaper than atpturbo.com or Fast-turbo.com. I save liked 30 dollars by getting the parts and putting it together myself......and that was just the Oil Return Line.
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

Zoomx: That is my assumption as well...

Titleist71: The kit already comes with stainless braided lines. The only problem is that bent tube which is welded to the flange. Thanks for the suggestion though.

bic and Madwheel: You guys think I could cut it and stitch it with a small piece of silicone hose, two clamps and some jbweld? Or should I take it to a shop and see if they can weld it?

I was planning on DIM'ing this kit Saturday so if you guys have any suggestions as to how I can fix it, they would be much appreciated.
Old 08-12-2004

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
one of my friends got his line bent to and my other friends didnt.. but what he did was took a torch and heated the piping up and bent it back.. looked almost as good as new.. his wasnt bent to much but i dont know the extremeity of yours
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

Blow torch you say? hmmm.....

Just took out the bent piece(?) and took some photos...

I can blow air through the tube if that helps with the description.
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
I def wouldn't use that, too much restriction, maybe you could splice in a new piece between the ends with compression fittings and some steel line for the autoparts store if you can't get a new line. Kinda of a vital lifeline though if it comes undone you are screwed.
Old 08-12-2004
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
thats definately ****ed up...i would start over piecing together your own line/return..the blow torch idea might work but it would suck to over heat it, bend, then break it.
Old 08-12-2004

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
I thought you said the bent tube was welded to the flange? Your holding it? I'm confused. If you can take it off you can piece together a new line that hooks right up to the flange.....then mail that **** back and ask for $20-30 back for the damage.
Old 08-12-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
dont use it get a new one, make a new one do something other wise that turbo is going to burn up
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

Titleist71: My bad, I just unscrewed a bolt with a hole in it. The bolt goes into a ring which is part of the pipe. You can see it in the first and second pictures of the 10th post. It is what I'm holding on to.

I think I found a solution! Like I said earlier, I have stainless braided lines. The braided line hooks up to the bent piece, which in turn, is bolted onto the flange. (It's so easy I should have figured this out before...man, I feel dumb!) Here's the story...

I got off work today and said to myself I'm going to figure something out. So I went to checker and bought a hose, some fittings, and clamps. Took some trial and error for the right fittings, but I got a right size (1/4" IF) for the flange on the turbo. Couldn't find one to mate to the braided line so I took my stuff and went to Autozone. They had even less of a selection than Checker!

There are two Checkers in my city/suburb so I went to the one farther away from my house, which isn't that far from autozone. They didn't have anything either.

I then went to a "performance shop" just a little farther than Checker. They had some nice stuff but not what I was looking for.

I had a hunch just before I left for the first Checker that I could probably find almost everything I needed at True Value but I figured that Checker might have it too. Well, I went to True Value last and, low and behold, they had what I needed.

When I got home I pieced together the pieces, a little wary that the rubber hose might overheat. My mom came out to see what I was doing and I showed it to her. She said "Isn't that too hot?" And in that moment I realized that all I really needed was a flanged 1/4 npt(for the line) and a 1/4 IF(for the flange on the turbo)!

So its off to True Value with my new found insight! I'll take pics when I get back.
Old 08-12-2004
Premium Boosted Member

only issue i see with that is that you use a banjo bolt for the oil feed line which may make things a lil more expensive to go out and buy.

call tsi and ask them if they can send you a new oil feed line, and you'll use you existing banjo bolt, and ship back the bent line. best case scenario to me
Old 08-12-2004
Premium Boosted Member

sorry i just read your last post...

so true value sells fittings for banjo bolts?
Old 08-12-2004
Registered!!

Is the banjo bolt the bolt with the hole in it?