Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

quick fuel system Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maiden4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
well, hopefully i should be boosted here in the next month and half or so. looks like ill be going with the passat fuel rail and injectors and vafcII
Old 04-01-2004
Skyline R33

guns is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are going custom you still need a Vortec FMU to control fuel once you go into boost. There are other similar kits out there. Do a search on retrunless fuel setups for turbo applications.

You need the FMU and a fuel pump. You can also get a Hobbs pressure switch to turn on the fuel pump only at 1psi or more. If not you will hear a constant hum from the fuel pump.

I know very little. I am learning through trial and error. Ask around and search
Old 04-01-2004
Registered!!

maybe i will just do a return, it seems cheaper, and im trying to get it boosted for a cheap as possible, then upgrade piece by peice from there.
Old 04-01-2004
Skyline R33

I think the Vortec FMU and fuel pump together running stock injectors will be OK at lets say 8psi. It is a simple setup.. You will you rich. But rich is safe. Lean is dangerous.
Old 04-01-2004
Registered!!

thats in conjunction with vascII right?
Old 04-01-2004
Registered!!

think of all the pressure in the puny injectors, wont that mess em up pretty quick?
Old 04-01-2004
Skyline R33

Originally posted by maiden4ever
thats in conjunction with vascII right?
With the stock injectors you dont need to use the VAFC2.

With bigger injectors you would need to cut back the fuel off boost. That is when the VAFC2 comes into play.
Old 04-01-2004
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by guns
I think the Vortec FMU and fuel pump together running stock injectors will be OK at lets say 8psi. It is a simple setup.. You will you rich. But rich is safe. Lean is dangerous.
SF modifies their FMU to run rich. Don't give him the impression that if he slaps on an FMU he WILL run rich. What's to stop the FMU, as reliable as it is , from causing a lean condition.
Old 04-01-2004
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Originally posted by opto_isolator
I'd be curious to know what the fuel pressure going into the injectors is at 8 PSI on that kit.....remember, the higher the boost, the more psi you will need in the FMU.....high fuel pressures are not uncommon in a setup like this, and the stock pump / injectors / seals are going to complain eventually....just some advice....
my thoughts exactly
Old 04-01-2004
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Originally posted by maiden4ever
maybe i will just do a return, it seems cheaper, and im trying to get it boosted for a cheap as possible, then upgrade piece by peice from there.
It will be cheaper in comparison to SF's kit... as well as adjustable.
Old 04-01-2004
Registered!!

aight, im all confusednow, not sure what setup to do. it looks like return conversion would be cheaper. also, if i did the return conversion, would that clear up problems 7th gens have with dry N20? im just need to learn more about fuel systems.
Old 04-01-2004
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

jwcardy is on a distinguished road

yes you are right...rich is good...but too rich is bad...right now i am running really rich...that is why i am gettin a safc2 to tune my fuel a lil better...if you run rich for tooooo long, you will be replacing you rings before to long...that comes from many race car drivers that i have talked to with years of experience...probably older than you, so dont come back with some smart *** remark....i believe them before anything you say...and no, i am not hating...i just think that you start passin out to much info that you dont know about because, well you just dont know...you have to understand that people take what others say on here for the truth....and when someone screws up their crap....i would be pissed....ahhh nevermind it wont help...

maiden4ever.....what ever you do i suggest you do it right...if you do return, or the passat injectors and fuel rail...i suggest that you get some type of fuel management system....if you are on a budget, then the apexi safc2, or something like it is you best bet...then get it dyno tuned and you will be good to go...that is until you get addicted like me and need more boost...the best thing for you to do is talk to the ones that have done it before...dont always believe everything that you read on here....there are a very few that know that they are talkin about....i am about to do return fuel setup...so when you get ready talk to me, or dober, opto isolator, or boosted2k2......or someone else that has done it.....
Old 04-01-2004
Registered!!

alright, thanks man. i gotta do some more research before id ecide what fuel system to go with.
Old 04-02-2004
Skyline R33

If the FMU is so bad then why are you running one? I am in the same place where you sarted. I am learning as I go. I never stated I know everything. Actually if you read my posts I try and keep it simple.

Can you answer a question for me? How does a VAFC2 help when the MAP sensor is at or above 0psi? Aren't the fuel injectors maxed out on a stock setup at 0psi? I have asked alot of people and no one seems to have a clear answer. I have search alot and can not find detailed info.

Thanks for your time and effort on this board. Alot of us are learning. I am sorry if my advise appears wrong to some of you. That is why it is called a forum and everyone is allowed to give opinions. I was just stating what worked for me.

Originally posted by jwcardy
yes you are right...rich is good...but too rich is bad...right now i am running really rich...that is why i am gettin a safc2 to tune my fuel a lil better...if you run rich for tooooo long, you will be replacing you rings before to long...that comes from many race car drivers that i have talked to with years of experience...probably older than you, so dont come back with some smart *** remark....i believe them before anything you say...and no, i am not hating...i just think that you start passin out to much info that you dont know about because, well you just dont know...you have to understand that people take what others say on here for the truth....and when someone screws up their crap....i would be pissed....ahhh nevermind it wont help...

maiden4ever.....what ever you do i suggest you do it right...if you do return, or the passat injectors and fuel rail...i suggest that you get some type of fuel management system....if you are on a budget, then the apexi safc2, or something like it is you best bet...then get it dyno tuned and you will be good to go...that is until you get addicted like me and need more boost...the best thing for you to do is talk to the ones that have done it before...dont always believe everything that you read on here....there are a very few that know that they are talkin about....i am about to do return fuel setup...so when you get ready talk to me, or dober, opto isolator, or boosted2k2......or someone else that has done it.....
Old 04-02-2004
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
That is why it is called a forum and everyone is allowed to give opinions
guns is seeing the light...we welcome you bro
Old 04-02-2004
Registered!!

so if i did a return line, i would just need a new fuel pump, FPR, vafcII, and whatver hoses and whatnot i willl need to hook it all up. and that will work with either stock injectors or passat rail and injectors?
Old 04-02-2004
Registered!!

OR FMU with new fuel pump and regulator, then later VASC II and injectors? am i understanding this correctly?