Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

THE turbo auto thread

Old 02-09-2004
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
THE turbo auto thread

Hey guys. I've been cruising the site and looking around at the automatic turbo threads, and there are quite a few, but most don't really mention that much. I wanted to start a thread that talks strickly about people that have boosted autos. Please tell us your setup and your likes/dislikes about it. Also include what you plan to do in the future about the turbo and transmission. Guys, please keep this thread on track, as I think it will aid in new members finding it easier to located an answer to that all to popular repost, "Can I boost my auto civic?" Thanks again.

Brad imp:
Old 02-10-2004
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
since SF actually still has my kit, i might actually go back to boosting the civic than trading in for a GSR, its not for certain though BUT if i should keep the AT civic and boost it here are my future plans
TCI master racing overhaul kit
B&M tranny cooler
GReddy PRofec B spec II boost controller
Torque Converter (undecided, i heard JMO's prices suck so i'm looking into other companies)
Alcohol Injection
and farther down the road i would build up the internals,.... pistons, rods, sleeves, valve springs, PnP, etc...
since it seems our intnerals can handle up to 11-12psi, i figure i should build up the tranny first since its not really known what the max psi is that they can handle and i dont wanna be the first to find out. but this is all pending on the price my friend at the acura dealership can get me on a GSR.
Old 02-10-2004
Proud Srt4 owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BoostedCivicZex can only hope to improve
i got a turbo auto cvt hx. i like it a lot
Old 02-10-2004
dKj
Registered!!

dKj is an unknown quantity at this point
dont know right terms to say this, but whats safest amount to boost while still allowing for shift at full throttle or wutever, like lets say i wass boostin 10 lbs, cud i just keep my foot on the gass all the way the whole time without blowing something? and wut about like...11 lbs 12 lbs haha i dunno, just wondering.
Old 02-10-2004

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
^^ I don't know about that. But I saw on the Level 10 website, which I don't know, there was a complete transmission you can buy for our cars for like 3 grand. It has all their parts. I think I want to get that... but I'm not sure.. tell me what you guys think.
Old 02-10-2004

So, Zex, you havent had any transmission problems, and I know your's is different than ours.
Old 02-10-2004
Boosted Auto

deciuss is an unknown quantity at this point
im going to order ma sf turbo soon. but you need to build up your tranny.

so im buying levelten's Torque Converter and there upgrade kit
the upgrade kit is 400 and there TC is 500 and that is the same thing as there prebuilt auto tranny they said. i called them yesterday to chex it out. the TC you send in and they do it and the kit you have to do your self. they also said something about shaving off a second or something off your 1/4th time with both thows mods but i will belive that when i see it. but they have been really helpfull so im going with them, they also got a bunch of other cool stuff for the auto tranny

www.levelten.com
Old 02-10-2004
Registered!!

Fletchman04 is on a distinguished road
concerning the TCI master racing overhaul kit, exactly what will this do for your car?
Old 02-10-2004

Buuuuutttt, that brand new auto tranmission on the website for lvl 10 looks awfully tempting. I mean that things brand new. all new parts. It has to be 100 times better than just ordering some add on parts for your alreayd used and messed up auto transmission. Theres on one thing I'm worried about. I dont want the car to slip or F up when I turbo it. The point of this thread is to see who has what and how their auto holds up while boosted, under cruising throttle and wide open.
Old 02-10-2004

People are concerned about how strong they can make their auto tranny to withstand all amounts of boost.
Old 02-10-2004
Boosted Auto

um the kit is the same thing as there 3 grand auto tranny so 400 bucks or 3 grand... and with the kit if any parts that are not being changed are used/dmged you can just replace it your self. your making something harder then what it is.

also it says on there website what there built trannys can handle something like 3 times the hp/T then just the normal stock tranny
Old 02-10-2004
Boosted Auto

and if your looking for stories about how they hold up just look. one person a while back said his tranny went at only 4 psi in one days use. and i have known people around me to blow there trannys with only 5psi.

while somone else says they are running 9psi with no problems so far.

so your looking at both good and bad stories so far i have only seen 2 good stories from people that have not done any thing to there a/t the rest are all bad.

its simple build up the tranny and be safe.
Old 02-10-2004
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
i think if you dont beat the crap out of your a/t you'll be fine. Im piecing my turbokit together and im going to get the overhaul kit and stuff eventually, maybe a month or two after the turbo. I know a guy with no intercooler on an auto running 5psi who is hitting 14.7-15.1 pretty solid...its a 94 civic. Hes had it turbo'ed for over a year with no tranny upgrades except the cooler
Old 02-10-2004

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
shhiiiitttt, $3k for a "bulletproof" tranny, no spank you, this aint a 1000hp supra we are talking about here, most of you wont even see the 300whp mark. get a overhaul kit and torque converter and call it a day.
the overhaul kit looks like a rebuild with stronger parts and supposedly shifts better too, so add that with a T/C and i think it would shave 1 second off your 1/4 mile time (assuming it does what they say it does) and 1 second dont sound like a lot but in racing that a few cars lengths.
Old 02-10-2004
Proud Srt4 owner

BoostedCivicZex can only hope to improve
Originally posted by TheSmuggler
So, Zex, you havent had any transmission problems, and I know your's is different than ours.
my tranny has been fine since i turbo'd my car back in october. All i got on it is an aftermarket tranny cooler
Old 02-11-2004
Registered!!

Fletchman04 is on a distinguished road
so what your saying is, we need for the transmission: tranny cooler, T/C, the overhaul kit, fluid....and what else if anything?
Old 02-11-2004
Registered!!

ohmysac is an unknown quantity at this point
i've been running 5psi and occasionally 8psi or so since july or whenever i first got my sf kit....

i had some clutch plate slippage issues when shifting at full throttle but upon adding some lucas transmission fix additive it stopped doing that...the clutch plates bite very hard now...i the additive is supposed to increase hydraulic pressure within the transmission...

i'm not using a transmission cooler currently...its still in my closet waiting to be installed
Old 02-12-2004
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
i have auto, but to me...the amount of money spent on tranny upgrade and TC is about the same and typically more than the price of a manual transmission. i'm still debating whether or not to get build up the auto or to swap a manny. definetly pluses to either choice....what do you guys think?
Old 02-12-2004

Well, I thought about the manual swap, but then I decided against it. I mean im afraid something might go wrong or whatnot. Also, I'd love to build up my auto just so I can show people that autos don't completely suck. Also I live in a place where a manual tranny isnt the best idea (lots of stop and go). I just want a strong auto tranny that wont fall apart if I boost it a little (max 9 psi).
Old 02-22-2004
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone have 1/4 mile times with autos, and list of kills.....
Old 02-22-2004
Registered!!

mndthegap1 has a spectacular aura aboutmndthegap1 has a spectacular aura about
im waiting on my turbo kit from SF. all paid just waiting for my tracking #. anyway i have a 02 ec coupe auto. ordered SF kit, tranny cooler, alcohol injection, either turbo xs manuall boost controler or hallman boost controller. eventually torque converter but expensive so might go w/ level 10 tranny kit.
Old 02-22-2004

i'm also just waiting on my kit. i'm almost pretty much set, i'll be getting the base kit with upgraded turbo, alcohol injection, tranny cooler, TCI overhaul kit and GReddy PRofec-B spec II boost controller. i'll be getting the overhaul kit put in a couple weeks after my kit though, i was estimated $400 for the install of that alone. i'm looking for someone selling a torque converter cuz i cant afford to have down time since its my daily driver, but i'm looking into level 10 also cuz i hear JMO prices suck.
Old 02-23-2004
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

there must be some members with auto already, boosted, i wanna know what type of cars they've killed....
Old 02-23-2004
Registered!!

lucky13matt is an unknown quantity at this point
well i have been boosting my auto for about 6 months and so far so good. i just installed my greddy profec b spec II i was tunning the boost controller i have the low boost set at 6lbs and high at 9lbs. while tunning i hit 10lbs and it felt very nice. ahahahaha
Old 02-24-2004
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

Originally posted by lucky13matt
well i have been boosting my auto for about 6 months and so far so good. i just installed my greddy profec b spec II i was tunning the boost controller i have the low boost set at 6lbs and high at 9lbs. while tunning i hit 10lbs and it felt very nice. ahahahaha
ahve your gone to the track??
Old 02-24-2004
Registered!!

lucky13matt is an unknown quantity at this point
naw i havent gone to the track yet. i just got my wideband o2 controller in. so i have to tune first
Old 03-15-2004
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

bump
Old 03-15-2004

yeah what he said ^^^
Old 03-16-2004
LC
Registered!!

LC is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone have any 1/4 mile times?
Old 03-16-2004
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

anyone intalled their tranny overhal kit or torque converter (Captain, 18sec1/4)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: THE turbo auto thread