Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

To Turbo Or Not To Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mdemarcojr is an unknown quantity at this point
Question To Turbo Or Not To Turbo???

I drive a stock 2004 Civic EX Coupe automatic transmission.

Here are the specs for my car currently:
  • Base engine size - 1.7 liters
  • Horsepower - 127 hp
  • Horsepower rpm - 6,300
  • Torque - 114 lb-ft.
  • Torque rpm -4,800
I want to increase my horsepower by 100 if possible more. I do not know anything about turbos or engines. I do not want to do an engine swap. I was considering a turbo. All my friends say it isn't worth it to do any of that to my car and that I should just get an intake and exhaust. What is needed and invovled for adding a turbo to my car? Am I just asking for trouble with my engine by adding a turbo? How much would it cost to get done what I want to get done?

If you could tell me in the simplest way possible so I can understand it, I would appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: To Turbo Or Not To Turbo???

The simplest way possible, okay.

If you'd like to add 100hp then you would need to spend somewhere around $5000 for a proper turbo set-up installed and tuned. You'd likely also need to do perform an auto-to-manual transmission swap since the D17s transmission isn't very strong, that would be around $2500 installed. If you're willing to spend that kind of money you would have a reliable 250hp or so..
Old 03-06-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

here.
different engine, but pretty much comprehensive.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ies-motor.html

If you don't understand this, just don't do it.
Now, for forums - search.

Your question have been asked bazillions times before.
We also have asnwered bazillion times before.

So, like shown above, that's how we feel, at the least one guy every 5 days ask the same thing you did.
Hope you enjoyed the experience of read the same thing over and over again
Old 03-06-2011
Registered!!

Ckutch02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't boost with that auto plain and simple. Not worth the money when you can't even manually shift the gears and that tranny will go in no time.
Old 03-07-2011
2010 Civic Si

K20Z3 is on a distinguished road

Its true I haven't even been here that long and I've seen this question asked a ton of times already. It's never a really good idea to turbo an automatic tranny unless its some kind of 1000hp drag machine (which would then use a designated racing tranny anyways).

Another note is that you shouldn't tinker with your car if you "do not know anything about turbos or engines" because thats just asking for trouble. People usually turbo their cars because they enjoy modifying and working on their cars. If that doesn't sound like you then you should probably just go buy a car thats already fast instead of taking a slow car and trying to make it fast.

An intake and exhaust will give you negligible gains but its a good place to start (if you want to start modifying).
Old 03-07-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Intake and exhaust will give you +0 HP. If your looking to go faster it's not a good place to go. Sdaidoji we were all new at one point once, so go easy on the new guys. There is a ton of information on the forum related to turboing, in fact an entire section designated just for that. You can start looking there. Doing it properly is very expensive (as bomber mentioned). Good luck, your slow just like most of us As time goes by and K series engines get cheaped and cheaper its becoming more worthwhile to swap than turbo.
Old 03-07-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
here.
different engine, but pretty much comprehensive.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ies-motor.html

If you don't understand this, just don't do it.
Now, for forums - search.

So, like shown above, that's how we feel, at the least one guy every 5 days ask the same thing you did.
Hope you enjoyed the experience of read the same thing over and over again

you are my hero. <3

bwahahha.
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

pb_boosted_es2 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea do a little mote research before asking.

But sure. Boost it i say. I did. Just do it right and get it over with & keep a tranny swap in mind.

I'm on 7.5lbs making 206whp as my sig says.
I'm also working on a intake manifold for this set up. It's in the C.A.D. Stage right now and will have the flanges cut out by water jet later this when. When i'm done i'll get a dyno pull to show the results and if all goes well i'll look into retailing this at a economical cost. Lmk if anyone's intrested.
Old 03-07-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tbohar
Sdaidoji we were all new at one point once, so go easy on the new guys.
Not at all, note that i posted an useful link with lots of info before screwing with him

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-07-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Not at all, note that i posted an useful link with lots of info before screwing with him
Helpful plus screwing with is allowed.

Just screwing with is not.

So your all good
Old 03-08-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

if you want to spend money on the car then get started with the exhaust system, looks better in the engine bay, sounds more agressive (some people hate this, i love it) and you'll need a higher flowing exhaust to turbo the car anyway so why not start off on this route.

intake~ buy an ebay intake tube, then a qualit filter like AEM. tube $50+$50 AEM cone.

downpipe~ just get a cheap one made at the local exhaust shop if you're getting it installed and not doing it your self.

highflow cat.~ new $100 from megnaflow, could be cheaper out there.

high flow cat.-back~ got mine used from craigslist for $150

installation~ i can't weld and dont have a lift or drive on hole (not sure what thos are called,lol) so i got my system put in for $170 including tax.

that's $500 if you're smart and look around, possibly cheaper.

if you go turbo you'll need to find

turbocharger
waistgate
blow off valve
intercooler
piping
oil line to cool the turbo
better sensors for airflow
engine managment system
bigger injectors
better fuel pump
tunable cam gear

plus whatever i forgot.

then you have to pay for it to be tuned.

now that it's fast you'll probably want better brakes and suspension so you don't fly into a tree.

it's gina cost alot of money to go turbo. but if you want it go for it, look for good deals and piece it together for a quality build.
Old 03-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

^Tuning is a big one, $150 for 2-4 hours to get it right depending on if you want a couple maps or not.

Installation is a big one two, I know some very experienced guys who have spent 3-4 days installing their kits. Not to mention drilling and taping a number of holes, which if you haven't done before is quite difficult.